Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 10:22:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1842777 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10455 on: April 28, 2012, 08:45:42 AM »

American Beauty - 2/10 - What is so brilliant about this piece of shit? The cast of phony caricatures? The silted sitcom dialogue masquerading as wit? Symbolism as subtle as an H-bomb? Satire and analysis of suburban America so cutting edge it felt dated in Rebel Without a Cause? The idea that we'll find an irresponsible, obnoxious would-be pederast's journey into self-indulgence enlightening or sympathetic? The goddamned plastic bag? Someone enlighten me. Or rather, don't.

The very same movie could easily have become a 8/10 (to me) if they had gone a bit further with every character (they're caricatures, so make it right and make a comedy, not a serious film) and chosen another ending.

SPOILER

You cannot make a whole movie showing how everything in American society is not what it looks like, it's not black and white, it's (caricatural) grey, and then, WOW BIG SURPRISE: the bad guy is... the nazi.
Didn't see that coming, uh?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10456 on: April 28, 2012, 09:40:24 AM »

The very same movie could easily have become a 8/10 (to me) if they had gone a bit further with every character (they're caricatures, so make it right and make a comedy, not a serious film) and chosen another ending.

Agreed. An outright comedy approach might have worked; certainly the more exaggerated supporting characters and phony dialogue suggest this as a possible approach. Calling Lester out on his creepiness rather than embracing him as a hero certainly would have improved things. Placing such artificial constructions in an alleged drama undermines whatever point the filmmakers are trying to make.

Agreed also that Chris Cooper's character arc is stupid. He shouts a homophobic slur in literally every scene so what a shock that he turns out to be gay. But it's the Mena Suvari denouement which bugs me more. What a fucking cop-out, to have them literally in bed together before she blurts out her secret. You can't shock the audience with near-pedophilia and then back off at the last second.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10457 on: April 28, 2012, 09:41:35 PM »

Not sure if this has been answered yet but IMDb's top movies list is at:

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

American Beauty is at No.43

A couple of us used to use http://www.250films.net/list/ which allows users to keep track of the movies from the top 250 they've seen.  I did make an effort one winter and saw the whole 250.  Embarrassed

Thanks for the link.

I stopped reading after the first 50 entries or so, cuz I see how absolutely meaningless it is. Just ridiculous  Roll Eyes

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10458 on: April 28, 2012, 11:43:03 PM »

Thanks for the link.

I stopped reading after the first 50 entries or so, cuz I see how absolutely meaningless it is. Just ridiculous  Roll Eyes

It's a user-voted list. What do you expect?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10459 on: April 28, 2012, 11:51:14 PM »

The Iron Lady - 7/10 - Oliver Stone-lite: take a controversial political figure, utilize a non-linear narrative with jerky editing, montage work and liberal use of stock footage. Apparently trying not to offend anyone, the film doesn't really explore Thatcher's political and economic policies beyond slogans: it assumes knowledge that many viewers may not have. It certainly views Maggie herself as an admirable woman, sticking it to the aristocrats, men and Labour politicans who perpetually underestimate her. Streep's performance is really excellent. In all, entertaining but fairly superficial.

Leprechaun in the Hood - 10/10 - 7th viewing. Saw it with friends who seemed to enjoy it more than the above. The line about hookers getting "fucked to death by the leprechaun" got big laughs.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10460 on: April 29, 2012, 01:16:33 AM »

The Alamo (1960) 6.5/10

My comments here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7590.msg156048#msg156048

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:17:41 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10461 on: April 29, 2012, 11:57:06 AM »

Lives of a Bengal Lancer - 7/10 - Gary Cooper, Franchot Tone and Richard Cromwell battle Muslim fanatics on the Northwest Frontier and learn something about duty and patriotism. Among the first of the big imperial adventures, it's a Western in colonial garb even more obviously than its successors (the trio of American stars helps this interpretation). Heavy on the brothers-in-arms theme common to this genre, but much more stentorian and serious than later examples. The best scene is Tone's snakecharming duel with a cobra. The leads are fine but C. Aubrey Smith and Guy Standing's senior officers are more interesting characters.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10462 on: April 29, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »

Play Dirty - 8/10 - Straightlaced Michael Caine and piratical Nigel Davenport lead a Brit commando team on a mission to destroy German fuel depots in North Africa. This is an exceedingly cynical war movie with no likeable characters and plenty of grim desert atmosphere, treachery, backstabbing and sadistic violence. Thanks to the lack of anti-war posturing it's plenty entertaining with an excellent finale. Caine is fine but Davenport steals the show as a particularly nasty opportunist. Lots of Almerian locations including the Agua Caliente set from FAFDM.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10463 on: April 30, 2012, 06:47:43 AM »

Smart Money (1931) 8/10

Enjoyable early Warner Bros. gangster film, featuring Edward G. Robinson and James Cagney.

Robinson plays a Greek barber in a small town who is a small-time gambler. Because of his luck, his friends stake him to some dough to go take to the big city and try to hit the big-time.

If you are interested in movie history of history of this time period, I highly recommend that you watch this film commentary. (I forget the name of the two commentators, but) I watched a small part of the commentary; it is very interesting and informative. The commentators have a lot of great discussion RE: topics like the transition from and comparison of the silent era to the early sound era; the difference in filming techniques between the two eras; discussion of the pre-Production-code enforcement days (ie. the Code was there, but wasn't enforced, till 1934), etc.

Some interesting little history:

Little Caesar ("LC") had been released in January of the same year, and been a huge hit. But The Public Enemy ("TPE")  wouldn't be filmed and released till later that year, (In fact, Smart Money ("SM") had the same writers as TPE; they were working on the script of TPE on the set of SM, according to the commentary on the SM dvd). So by the time SM was being filmed, Robinson was already a big star, but Cagney wasn't Cagney yet. So in SM, Robinson is the lead, and Cagney has a supporting role.
Though SM was shot before TPE, TPE was released in April, while SM wasn't released until July. Therefore, while LC and TPE are often referred to as the first two big gangster films, SM was actually shot between those two films.

Truth is, SM is not really a "gangster film" in the same sense that LC and TPE are. Sure, Warner Bros. trying to cash in on the success of LC and cast Robinson here, but he actually plays a gambler -- a small-town gambler who goes to the big city and becomes a big-time gambler, eventually opening his own gambling joints -- but otherwise is not really a criminal. There isn't much of the violence and typical stuff you expect in true gangster films. This movie also has more of a light feel to it. But (considering the actors, time period, and the studio) I guess you can call it a gangster movie, or a crime movie.

This movie was made prior to the enforcement of the Production Code; there's some stuff there that would never fly once the Code began being enforced in 1934. Therefore, this movie couldn't be shown on television and kind of languished on the shelves of Warner Bros. during all the years of censorship. There's a particularly hilarious scene involving a Cagney pantomine  Grin Grin Grin (The commentators read a lot of homoerotic shit into this movie. I can't really say I disagree with that...)

In one of the opening scenes, there is a brief, uncredited appearance by Boris Karloff as a shady character, probably a pimp.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:32:07 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10464 on: May 01, 2012, 09:05:22 PM »

Orlando (1992)
can not say one good thing about this garbage. Not one. a dull, boring, uninteresting mess of a movie. Absolute shit.

21 Jump Street (2012)
There's usually only one good comedy each year, and this is it for 2012.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10465 on: May 01, 2012, 09:22:07 PM »

Will probably be seeing The Avengers next weekend so...

Thor - 8/10 - Kenneth Branagh doing a superhero film equals a lot of angst and faux-Shakesperean scheming. Not suitable for all comic book movies to be sure, but well-done here. The Asgard scenes work best, with a very good villain turn by Tom Hiddleston (channeling Peter O'Toole apparently), while the Earth scenes are occasionally silly. Chris Hemsworth handles Thor's Henry V arc well, though Anthony Hopkins is super-hammy and the human characters are lame. Kat Dennings is cute and Idris Elba is a bonus badass. Could have used more action but I won't complain; this easily outdoes the Nolan flicks for character-driven superheroics.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:33:36 PM by Groggy » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: May 02, 2012, 03:48:13 AM »

Thor - 8/10 - Kenneth Branagh doing a superhero film equals a lot of angst and faux-Shakesperean scheming. Not suitable for all comic book movies to be sure, but well-done here. The Asgard scenes work best, with a very good villain turn by Tom Hiddleston (channeling Peter O'Toole apparently), while the Earth scenes are occasionally silly. Chris Hemsworth handles Thor's Henry V arc well, though Anthony Hopkins is super-hammy and the human characters are lame. Kat Dennings is cute and Idris Elba is a bonus badass. Could have used more action but I won't complain; this easily outdoes the Nolan flicks for character-driven superheroics.

This whole "genre" can't die quick enough for me, regardless,  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10467 on: May 02, 2012, 05:12:08 AM »

Personally it would be no skin off my nose if they never made another superhero flick. But since there's little chance of that, might as well watch the good ones.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10468 on: May 02, 2012, 09:19:30 PM »

The Incredible Hulk - 4/10 - This movie's clearly designed as a rebuke to Ang Lee's Hulk, an admittedly subpar film. Too much time spent on character development in that one? Okay, here's a team of ciphers. Not enough action? Okay, try lots of interchangable mindless fights and shootouts. Excessive back story? How about no back story? Movie going nowhere? Throw in an evil Hulk! For good measure, they chuck out the few good elements of Lee's film, namely the cast (Jennifer Connelly=Liv Tyler?) and Lee's directoral style. This is a dull, empty film existing solely to keep the Hulk in the Avengers line-up. Gets a sympathy point each for a not-bad end fight and Robert Downey cameo.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10469 on: May 03, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »

Iron Man - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. Still had the same problems as my first viewing, but definitely liked it more on a rewatch. Afro

Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM