Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 07:26:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1832700 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10515 on: May 29, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »

The Mill and the Cross (2011) - 7/10. Pieter Bruegel, while planning his famous painting "The Way to Calvary", imagines it in 3D and walks around in it. Or something. Not much of a story here, but the visuals are impressive. According to director Lech Majewski, the compositing was intense: no image has fewer than 14 layers, and the most elaborate ones have over a hundred. Needless to say, this is a spectacle meant for HD, and it sure shines on Blu. With Rutger Hauer as the Hobo With a Shotgun, Michael York as the Queen of Flanders, and Charlotte Rampling as Arthouse Cred.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10516 on: May 29, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »

The Purple Gang (1959) 7.5/10

A Prohibition Era gangster movie, this one taking place in Detroit. Robert Blake plays the queer leader of the gang. Barry Sullivan is the police lieutenant assigned to the gang.

The Caine Mutiny (1954) 8/10

Bogie is great and Fred MacMurray is hilarious, all the performances are amazing. My only problem with this movie is an abundance of very obvious process shots in the scenes at sea.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:18:55 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10517 on: May 30, 2012, 02:31:59 AM »

Moonrise Kingdom (2012) 6/10. Standard Wes Anderson whimsy, this time about a pre-adolescent couple who run away from the world the grown ups have made so that they, the children, can act more like . . . grown ups. (The adults of course are the real children). It's Summer With Monika without the sex and with jokes--exceedingly precious ones--instead. A pleasant enough way to wile away two hours, though, in the end, none of it amounts to much. The patented Anderson visuals are laid on thickly.

Just saw it! 8/10. May be Anderson's best. It's cool to see him talk about something else than rich people depressions. The part with the children really really works and you even get some adventure feel (which is so rare that even 5 secondes of it gives a movie a rating above average). Rating a Wes Anderson film after the first viewing only is always a guessinggame, since the real value of the movie always reveals itself after repeted viewings. We'll see in a couple years if this one is better than life aquatic.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:09:10 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10518 on: May 30, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »

Rushmore
Probably my favorite Wes Anderson

Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Very good. Slow start but great movie.

Bottle Rocket
Probably my least favorite Wes Anderson. Still good.

The Thin Red Line
10/10, Malick's best

The Tree of Life
Incredible

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10519 on: June 03, 2012, 06:30:25 PM »

Brighton Rock (1947) A great British Film Noir with a young Richard Attenborough set in the Coney Island-ish atmosphere of Brighton, 9/10 review to follow soon.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10520 on: June 03, 2012, 08:31:49 PM »

Brighton Rock (1947) A great British Film Noir with a young Richard Attenborough set in the Coney Island-ish atmosphere of Brighton, 9/10 review to follow soon.

Glad to hear it. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10521 on: June 03, 2012, 08:41:30 PM »

Rewatches of:

The Crucible - 8/10

The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing - 6/10 - Pampered Sarah Miles runs away from sleazy husband George Hamilton and winds up a not-unwilling hostage of outlaw Burt Reynolds. Starts out great, then gradually drifts off into oblivion. Like most '70s Westerns it's episodic and character-driven, which wouldn't be bad if it led somewhere worthwhile. At least there are some neat set pieces (Reynolds' slugfest with Jack Warden) and pretty scenery along the way. Reynolds is great but what the heck is Miles doing in a Western? The assorted making-of controversies are more interesting than the actual movie.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10522 on: June 05, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »

The File On Thelma Jordan (1950) Director: Robert Siodmak, with Stars: Barbara Stanwyck, Wendell Corey, and Paul Kelly, sort of a Noir light in the same vein as "No Man Of Her Own", "Sudden Fear", "Mildred Pierce", entertaining enough to be interesting but not very hard core noir in style. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #10523 on: June 06, 2012, 12:26:17 PM »

Prometheus(2012)
My first 3d experience. It was a little weird at first but the picture smoothed out a bit when I got used to it. It didn't add a whole lot to the movie other than being a nice little effect.
The movie itself was somewhat disappointing. The plot is like a swizz cheese, both story and dialogue suffers. If you're gonna see it don't go in expecting another classic like Alien and Blade Runner. It's just your average blockbuster.
I'll give it a "mildy enjoyable".

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10524 on: June 06, 2012, 01:17:13 PM »

If you're gonna see it don't go in expecting another classic like Alien and Blade Runner. It's just your average blockbuster.
I'll give it a pass, then. Thanks.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10525 on: June 06, 2012, 01:34:03 PM »

Prometheus(2012)
My first 3d experience. It was a little weird at first but the picture smoothed out a bit when I got used to it. It didn't add a whole lot to the movie other than being a nice little effect.
The movie itself was somewhat disappointing. The plot is like a swizz cheese, both story and dialogue suffers. If you're gonna see it don't go in expecting another classic like Alien and Blade Runner. It's just your average blockbuster.
A Ridley Scott film, "average"? Shock of all shocks.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10526 on: June 06, 2012, 06:36:18 PM »

TCM has been playing some real shitty 50's Crime Dramas lately:

Inside the Mafia (1959) 5.5/10

A ridiculous movie which refers very loosely to two real-life Mafia events: the murder of Albert Anastasia while under the towels in a barber chair in a Manhattan hotel; and the infamous Mafia meeting at Appalachin (re-named "Apple Lake" for this movie). At the end, the narrator predicts that the breakup of the Appalchin meeting and arrests of the underworld leaders in attendance may mean the end of organized crime in America. Yeah, that seems pretty accurate  Roll Eyes

The Night Holds Terror (1955) 6/10

I hate when directors think they can just switch narration anytime they please without having to justify whose point of view the story is being told from. The story -- about a family held hostage by 3 bad guys -- begins with a third person narration (stuff like "this is a true story that happened to..." then switches to the main character (like "I was never more terrified in my life...") and then switches back to the third party narrator toward the end as it suddenly changes to a police procedural and the narrator describes the police effort to nab the bad guys.
That sort of shit simply shows contempt for the audience. The narration has to be justified as much as anything else does.

The Hitch-Hiker (1953) 4/10

A criminal on the run holds two fishermen hostage as he tries to avoid police through California and Mexico. The whole movie is basically spent going around and around with the bad guy holding a gun to the back of the good guys. The sort of shit you've seen a million times and which could make for a decent 20 minutes worth of screenplay, not an entire 71 minute movie  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:48:10 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10527 on: June 07, 2012, 04:26:01 AM »

In Cold Blood (1967) 9/10

What an amazing movie. My only minor complaint is that Scott Wilson is not very good as one of the leads; Robert Blake is good as the other lead (made all the scarier knowing about what he did later in life... yeah, I know he was acquitted). That murder scene was spellbinding...

I saw this the other day, Scott Wilson reminded me very much of a cross between Dennis Hopper and Michael Madsen

Other things I noted was the "Nature born killer" line, the camera shot from the boot (very QT)

and the middle finger salute....was this the first film to do this???

**************** ZZ TOPīs 1st Gig **************
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #10528 on: June 07, 2012, 09:53:33 AM »

I'll give it a pass, then. Thanks.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh. I think it's worth seeing once. It's not as bad as what T3 was to the Terminator trilogy.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10529 on: June 07, 2012, 09:35:35 PM »

An Unfinished Life (2005) 7.5/10

If a movie is done well and has good performances (Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman, Jennifer Lopez, and the little girl who plays her daughter), it can be entertaining even if the story doesn't feel very original Smiley

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:20:46 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM