Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 05:56:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763340 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10590 on: June 22, 2012, 04:26:56 AM »

Return of the King is the worst of the trilogy. Like, by far. Rarely have I been so bored by a blockbuster movie.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: June 22, 2012, 05:39:59 AM »

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - 7/10 - Not a bad movie, but it's hard for me to really enjoy watching four obnoxious people yell at each other for two hours. I don't like this sort of thing unless there's some sort of point behind it all, and there didn't seem much beyond sadism here. The script is pretty good but like with Lion in Winter I find it perhaps a bit too rich for my taste; here though the obnoxiousness is deliberate rather than failed wit and cleverness, so it gets a point or two more than Lion. Burton is Burton and Liz is a slightly-more-dowdy-than-usual Liz; I don't like either of them much but they're reasonably suitable for their respective parts so not too many complaints there. Nichols does some nice things directorially though the film is far from cinematic. Alex North's score is meh (though I'm sure DJ will try and argue it's a symphonic masterpiece).

I'm REALLY hankering to watch something fresh and new that's really, blow-my-socks-off good, not just 7/10 good. It's been ages. Maybe Ran will do the trick when I finally get around to it.

I just saw Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf for the first time,on TCM. The guest host who chose the films for that night was Ellen Barkin -- who said it's one of her 3 favorite movies -- and I note that because as I was watching the movie, I said to myself, "I am sure that middle-aged women just love this movie, and especially the Liz Taylor character." (And the next thing I said to myself was, "I am sure that middle-aged men are terrified of having their wives see this film!")

It's hard for me to rate this film, because the movie was indeed done exceptionally well, but it was a ludicrous story. (I think Groggy's rating of 7/10 is the highest possible rating I could posibly give this film, if I did have to rate it). A movie can only go so far with a ridiculous story. Yes, Liz was absolutely terrific in this role. One of the greatest lead performances, and most memorable characters, that I've ever seen by a female.
While watching the film, I didn't realize that Taylor was in her early 30's at the time it was made -- she gained 30 pounds for the role, and obviously had a terrific makeup job as well.  There are many middle-aged women who  take care of themselves and are attractive and slim. But that weight gain was essential -- although she certainly was attractive for a woman of that age and her flirtations can definitely seduce a man, her slightly-too-tight pants make it evident that she is somewhat past her prime; it is a very important effect: she tries to look hot and probably visits the beauty parlor 3 times a week and is flirtatious and promiscuous and dresses sexy --  but is just a tad past her prime.

And Richard Burton was very good as her husband. This movie won 5 Oscars: Taylor for best Actress, Sandy Dennis for Best Supporting Actress, and for best Art Direction, best Cinematography, and Best Costume Design, all in the Black and White Categories, (in  the final year for which there were  separate categories for Black and White and Color). It was nominated for 13 Oscars. I am sure that the Best Costume was won for one simple reason: Taylor's iconic outfit that she changes into in order to seduce George Segal -- a shirt that provides a very, er... generous view, and black slacks that accentuate a little too much flab south of the border. But I digress...

I agree with many of these Oscars nominations -- this movie was made as well as it could be, with the Direction, the Cinematography, the Editing, etc. The opening scene is simply wonderful. That whole thing in the kitchen where Taylor is munching on the cold chicken drumstick while trying to remember what movie a certain line came from, was just unbelievable.

So they did about as good a job as could be expected with this story, but that's the limitation. Eventually, all the screaming becomes ridiculous, and more importantly this whole game that Taylor and Burton are playing gets tiresome and stupid. No plausibility whatsoever, and there is no way in hell that Segal would have stayed around that long. I don't care if he doesn't want to insult the daughter and son-in-law of the President of the college. Ain't no way he would have stuck around that long.

It's a shame that such a great performance by Taylor was wasted on such a ridiculous story  Roll Eyes

p.s. at one point during a scene with Burton, I said "this role would have been perfect for James Mason" -- not that Burton wasn't good; it's just that I thought it was so perfect for Mason. Well, it turns out that Jack Warner and Edward Albee (upon whose play the script was based) actually wanted Mason for the role http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who%27s_Afraid_of_Virginia_Woolf%3F_%28film%29#Casting  Smiley

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:35:17 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: June 22, 2012, 04:40:21 PM »

La baie des anges, entertaining 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: June 22, 2012, 07:42:09 PM »

Return of the King is the worst of the trilogy. Like, by far. Rarely have I been so bored by a blockbuster movie.
No way. The first two were waaaay more boring. The only part of ROTK that dragged were the endings.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: June 22, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »

Hugo
Gets much worse with repeated viewings. Kingsley and Baron Cohen are excellent though, and the Georges Meleis flashbacks are among Scorsese's best work. The movie as a whole though is boring, cheesy, poorly written and a mess. I'm surprised I liked it as much as I did the first time through.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10595 on: June 23, 2012, 02:54:59 AM »

It's hard for me to rate this film, because the movie was indeed done exceptionally well, but it was a ludicrous story. (I think Groggy's rating of 7/10 is the highest possible rating I could posibly give this film, if I did have to rate it)

[...]

It's a shame that such a great performance by Taylor was wasted on such a ridiculous story  Roll Eyes

I'd give it 11 out of 10. It's one of the greatest movies ever, because of everything you say AND because the story is wonderful Smiley
The most amazing part is that it was Mike Nichols' first film. He said himself in the audio commentary that he was very self confident on set (he "knew what [he] was doing"), and that he's became less and less self confident all along his career. I guess the themes of the movie really meant something to him.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: June 23, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »

Yesterday was another scorcher, so I headed for the Cineplex and their all-day air-con. Needless to say, choice of titles was not my main concern--I pretty much took whatever they were offering.

Seeking A Friend For The End of the World (2012) 7/10. I actually expected to enjoy this based on the amusing trailer, and wasn't disappointed. An asteroid is set to collide with the earth in 3 weeks, prompting everyone to go into End of the World mode. For some this means the end of all inhibitions, for others, it's business as usual. These two reactions are what provide most of the laughs throughout the film: one scene will have stodgy middle-class parents blithley feeding liquor to their underage kids; another will show a small-town cop still operating his speed trap in order to make quota. Steve Carell plays an insurance agent who begins by adopting the business-as-usual approach. However, after meeting Keira Knightly, a woman in his building who he'd never spoken to before, events are put in motion that cause him to change. One night there's a riot; Carell realizes how dangerous it is to remain in the city. He decides to get out of town and go in search of a lost love. He takes Knightly along because she has a car; he also agrees to help re-unite her with her family. Suddenly, it's a road-trip rom-com in the manner of The Sure Thing--except that everyone will be dead soon. A number of comic episodes ensue, sometimes featuring surprising cameos. One such cameo suddenly ends with the death of the character--I've never laughed so hard. (There's a fair amount of dark humor throughout.) Eventually the rom-com tropes assert themselves and threaten to extinguish what makes the film interesting. We learn that it's important to reconcile with estranged family members (!), that the love partner you are seeking is often right under your very nose (!!), that true love is all about having quiet time together so that you can snuggle and share your feelings (!!!). I feared the film was going to pussy out with a feel-good ending: the asteroid would end up just missing, or something, and Carell and Knightly would go on as a couple, having bonded over the putative crisis. To the film's credit, though, the DOA ending is honored. The film works because of the casting--Carell I don't usually care for, but he's good in this. Knightly impresses me more all the time. With London Boulevard and A Dangerous Method and now this she's demonstrated that she can be very appealing--too bad she's built like a boy.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (2012) -3/10. [Yes, that's a minus 3]. I expected to hate this based on the title, I just hadn't imagined how much. It turns out that winning the Civil War and freeing the slaves was the least of Honest Abe's accomplishments. He's also responsible for, get this, ensuring that ours would be a nation of men and women rather than vampires. I was willing to go along with the premise so long as we were dealing with the Young Lincoln, but once the story moved to Lincoln in the White House it was all I could do to keep the dry heaves down. We see Jefferson Davis conspiring with the vampire leader to provide undead soldiers for the Confederate cause (the filmmakers are complete bastards). When Lincoln gets the battle losses (in real time) for the "first day of Gettysburg" he knows just what to do. In a single afternoon he collects all the silver in D.C., has it melted down into rifle balls, then shipped over night to the battle. Apparently there's a train line that runs directly from the capital to Gettysburg. And knowing that evil vampire minions will attempt to interdict the train, Abe and his team of vampire slayers ride along. The predictable battle royal then commences--ending in a coflagration atop the largest train trestle CGI could produce--but, hold on, the silver wasn't on the train after all, it was just a decoy! The real cargo got to Gettysburg via an alternate route. As Abe says with a wink, "This is not the only railroad." See, the silver was carried over night the 80 miles from D.C. to Gettysburg on the Underground Railroad!!! This is not the first film to make a travesty of historical fact. But this movie is something that actually approaches a kind of blasphemy. It is not enough that this film fail and lose money. The people involved in its making need to be hunted down and beheaded and have wooden stakes pounded through their hearts. And that's just for starters.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10597 on: June 23, 2012, 02:42:40 PM »

When I first saw Pride and Prejudice and Zombies in bookstores I thought it was a stupid joke - basically, a (theoretically) funny title expanded to book length. Then they did a whole series of those books. Now they're doing movies of those books. Kill me now.

Unfortunately, we live in a culture so thorough saturated with faux-irony that these things are popular. It's like those stupid shows on Adult Swim, one-joke premises that *might* sustain an SNL sketch expanded to a full length TV series. Or turning Machete from a gag trailer into an actual movie. I'm well beyond the point of finding deliberate, reverse-engineered, eye-winking stupidity funny, unless leprechauns are involved.

I'll never see the other movie, though a part of me does want to see Keira Knightley obliterated by an asteroid.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 02:44:17 PM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: June 23, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »

I'll never see the other movie, though a part of me does want to see Keira Knightley obliterated by an asteroid.
Still no girlfriend, eh? And no chance of one? Too bad. Still, if a miracle happens, this is the date film you could settle on and not have to spend 2 hours being bored.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: June 23, 2012, 04:12:23 PM »

Still no girlfriend, eh? And no chance of one? Too bad. Still, if a miracle happens, this is the date film you could settle on and not have to spend 2 hours being bored.

lol  Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10600 on: June 23, 2012, 07:27:55 PM »

Billy Jack - 4th viewing. Clearly I'm insane.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: June 23, 2012, 09:40:48 PM »

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (2012) -3/10. [Yes, that's a minus 3]

Why only -3? Once you'd dropping into the negatives, you've got until Infinity. Considering, -3 doesn't seem all that terrible.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10602 on: June 23, 2012, 10:29:06 PM »

Hell Drivers Director: Cy Endfield, Stars quite the cast, Stanley Baker, Herbert Lom, Peggy Cummins, Patrick McGoohan, David McCallum, Sean Connery and Jill Ireland. Truck drivers in competition, driving like maniacs, WHERE'S THE COPS? a bit silly with the sped up driving footage but entertaining enough 7/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: June 24, 2012, 12:51:19 AM »

The Last Picture Show (1971) 9/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: June 24, 2012, 02:21:27 AM »

I'm still waiting for that picture cj & dj insist Groggy posted of his 2-week girlfriend/sister.

Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM