Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 12:16:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1764631 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10605 on: June 24, 2012, 08:26:56 AM »

Moonrise Kingdom
Probably my favorite Wes Anderson movie. But I still don't think he's capable of ever making a truly great film.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10606 on: June 24, 2012, 08:29:19 AM »

I'm still waiting for that picture cj & dj insist Groggy posted of his 2-week girlfriend/sister.

Get comfy.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10607 on: June 24, 2012, 11:07:22 AM »

The Mission - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. I saw this years ago and didn't get much out of it. I liked it a lot more on a rewatch, a lush historical epic with a point to make. If viewed as a commentary on then-contemporary Christianity ("Liberation Theology" vs. evangelical capitalism) it's a very pointed parable; as a contrast between faith and institutional corruption it works even better. Lots of beautiful photography and possibly Ennio Morricone's best non-Leone score. Jeremy Irons is excellent but Robert De Niro gets a half-baked role: his penance and redemption is well-done, but his character arc is dropped. Ray Macnally steals the show as a double-dealing Cardinal. Keep an eye out for Liam Neeson and Chuck Low ("Even in the Amazon, Morey's wigs don't come off!"). Flawed but interesting.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:14:02 AM by Groggy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10608 on: June 24, 2012, 12:57:03 PM »

The Mission - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. I saw this years ago and didn't get much out of it. I liked it a lot more on a rewatch, a lush historical epic with a point to make. If viewed as a commentary on then-contemporary Christianity ("Liberation Theology" vs. evangelical capitalism) it's a very pointed parable; as a contrast between faith and institutional corruption it works even better. Lots of beautiful photography and possibly Ennio Morricone's best non-Leone score. Jeremy Irons is excellent but Robert De Niro gets a half-baked role: his penance and redemption is well-done, but his character arc is dropped. Ray Macnally steals the show as a double-dealing Cardinal. Keep an eye out for Liam Neeson and Chuck Low ("Even in the Amazon, Morey's wigs don't come off!"). Flawed but interesting.

This was another movie that I couldn't get past the first half hour or so.

(I just noticed that one of Roger Ebert's rules for movies is, "if nothing has happened by the end of the first reel, nothing is going to happen." It's called "Brotman's Law"  at this link http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19850623/COMMENTARY/901269998  (I usually give it more than a reel, but) it's the most important rule for watching movies   Wink )

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:58:05 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10609 on: June 24, 2012, 02:13:07 PM »

The first reel is the most interesting part. It's the later sections that aren't as satisfying. I might knock the rating down to a 7/10 on reflection.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10610 on: June 24, 2012, 03:41:25 PM »

Moonrise Kingdom
Probably my favorite Wes Anderson movie. But I still don't think he's capable of ever making a truly great film.
I think Rushmore is pretty great. It's actually connected to the real world at points. The fantasy world of MK is entertaining, but so hermetic as to be irrelevant for practical use.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10611 on: June 24, 2012, 03:45:58 PM »

then-contemporary
Do you mean 1986? The year the film was made rather than the year in which the events occur?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10612 on: June 24, 2012, 03:48:07 PM »

(I just noticed that one of Roger Ebert's rules for movies is, "if nothing has happened by the end of the first reel, nothing is going to happen." It's called "Brotman's Law"  at this link http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19850623/COMMENTARY/901269998  (I usually give it more than a reel, but) it's the most important rule for watching movies   Wink )
Is it possible for you to go a day without quoting Ebert? A week? A lifetime?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10613 on: June 24, 2012, 03:59:52 PM »

Do you mean 1986? The year the film was made rather than the year in which the events occur?

Yes.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10614 on: June 24, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »

Is it possible for you to go a day without quoting Ebert? A week? A lifetime?

I can go almost as long as you can go without posting Beaver links  Roll Eyes

For the record, I have this peculiar idea that when I use a line that someone else said, I don't pretend it is my own, but I give credit where credit is due, and I cite the source. I don't just provide a link to alert people to the existence of a review they could easily find on their own (ie. I don't post "Ebert on the Blu Ray..... HMMMMMMMMMM"), but I cite something if I want to discuss it. and I'll occasionally post a link to beaver review if there is a point about it that i wanna discuss. Not just for the sake of posting a link so that everyone can know that I am debating whether or not to buy a dvd.
Well, I love reading Ebert's movie reviews because I think he writes very well. He is always enjoyable to read, whether or not I agree with his opinion on a particular movie. So it'll often happen that he says an idea that I agree with and I want to quote it, and I am happy to do so. I try reading many reviews of films and would cite an idea from any that I find interesting (and mention whether I agree or disagree with it), and occasionally I do cite ideas or quotes from other reviews. It just so happens that I find Ebert to be the most interesting one, the best writer, and with the ideas most worthy of discussion.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:57:57 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10615 on: June 24, 2012, 04:27:53 PM »

I can go almost as long as you can go without posting Beaver links  Roll Eyes

Grin Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10616 on: June 24, 2012, 04:37:39 PM »

Touche!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10617 on: June 24, 2012, 05:11:46 PM »

You guys don't like the Beaver links? Fine, I won't bother anymore.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10618 on: June 24, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »

No one's saying that.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10619 on: June 24, 2012, 06:38:59 PM »

No one's saying that.

If you believe that board members are interested in having something shared and/or discussed, then by all means do so, no matter how frequently it is from the same source.

Pages: 1 ... 706 707 [708] 709 710 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM