Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 10:53:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767179 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10635 on: June 27, 2012, 05:25:09 PM »

Well, what are Apaches doing in west central Mexico, anyway? They never ranged that far south. (I know, I know, the story was originally set in Arizona. Zanuck wanted the location moved to get more impressive Cinemascope images; no one bothered to change the name of the Indians).

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10636 on: June 28, 2012, 01:36:45 PM »

The 39 Steps (1935) - 10/10. First Blu-ray viewing (the Criterion BD also gets a "10"--not only for the images, the dialog is the clearest I've ever heard). Arguably this is Hitchcock's wittiest film (thank you Charles Bennett and Ian Hay). This may be the original rom com thriller, which I note they still keep making (though badly). I've seen this about 39 times now (well, it's only 88 minutes long), and I never get tired of the gags (90% of which are about sex and/or marriage.) The plot is a model of construction, the pacing superb, and there is no telegraphing. And Madeleine Carroll was beautiful.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10637 on: June 28, 2012, 03:23:09 PM »

The 39 Steps (1935) - 10/10. First Blu-ray viewing (the Criterion BD also gets a "10"--not only for the images, the dialog is the clearest I've ever heard). Arguably this is Hitchcock's wittiest film (thank you Charles Bennett and Ian Hay). This may be the original rom com thriller, which I note they still keep making (though badly). I've seen this about 39 times now (well, it's only 88 minutes long), and I never get tired of the gags (90% of which are about sex and/or marriage.) The plot is a model of construction, the pacing superb, and there is no telegraphing. And Madeleine Carroll was beautiful.

I remember the epic argument you and Titoli had last time this film came up.  Any chance of a redux?

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10638 on: June 28, 2012, 05:14:17 PM »

It's up to titoli. But I think it's hard for anyone who doesn't have a sense of humor to fully appreciate this film.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10639 on: June 29, 2012, 03:43:17 AM »

Well, what are Apaches doing in west central Mexico, anyway? They never ranged that far south. (I know, I know, the story was originally set in Arizona. Zanuck wanted the location moved to get more impressive Cinemascope images; no one bothered to change the name of the Indians).

They just dropped the ball on that film, it was a Western, the natives were costumed like your typical North Eastern woodland tribes, usually in films depicting natives vs settlers in Mexico if they weren't using Apaches they used the Yaqui.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10640 on: June 29, 2012, 03:53:58 AM »

Guilty Bystander (1950)  a very dark noir, almost too dark in spots, the copy I watched was murky. It has only two NYC shots that you can make out one is in the opening Under The Brooklyn Bridge the other is of a draw bridge and warehouses on the Gowanus Canal. there is a confrontation in a tenement (maybe) that is almost pitch black. Nothing to go out of your way to try and find. I've always found Scott to be a more than a little annoying and a bit over the top. 5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10641 on: June 29, 2012, 09:41:39 AM »

The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond (1960) 9/10. Ray Danton is the flinty-hearted bastard who rises to the top of the rackets and Karen Steele is the bimbo he suckers on more than one occasion. Then the flinty-hearted bastard dies. Wonderfully paced gangster pic in b & w and widescreen. Possibly Budd Boetticher's best film.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10642 on: June 29, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »

Last Summer (1969)
Similar to Summer of '42, a summer-time look at adolescent naivety to sex and the loss of innocence. Last Summer, however, is superior in nearly every single way. It's both a thought provoking film and a (rare) relatively realistic portrayal of teenagers in movies. I'd cite this and Dazed & Confused as the only two great movies which, to an extent, accurately portray the 15-18 age group.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10643 on: June 29, 2012, 05:39:02 PM »

Last Summer (1969)
Similar to Summer of '42, a summer-time look at adolescent naivety to sex and the loss of innocence. Last Summer, however, is superior in nearly every single way. It's both a thought provoking film and a (rare) relatively realistic portrayal of teenagers in movies. I'd cite this and Dazed & Confused as the only two great movies which, to an extent, accurately portray the 15-18 age group.
Haven't seen this, but, given that it's a Frank Perry film, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10644 on: June 30, 2012, 12:19:07 AM »

Do it.

For a Few Dollars More
Actually only my second (I think) full viewing. Aside from CoR and LDoP, it's my least viewed Sergio film. It's Leone's last step into his remaining lifetime of masterpieces. An incredibly huge step up from Fistful of Dollars, which itself was an equally huge step up from Colossus of Rhodes and Last Days of Pompeii. While I don't think FAFDM is quite up to par with GBU/Once Upon a Time trilogy, it's still one of the greatest westerns ever made.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10645 on: June 30, 2012, 04:50:41 AM »

The Bribe Robert Taylor, Ava Gardener, Vincent Price, Charles Laughton, a bit talkie, but some nice sequences where I was paying attention, will probably have to watch it again to adequately rate it.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:05:49 AM by cigar joe » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10646 on: June 30, 2012, 08:19:09 PM »

Across 110th Street - 7/10 - 2nd viewing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10647 on: June 30, 2012, 08:59:27 PM »

La Strada (1954, released in America in 1956) 8/10

Great performance by Quinn (though the dubbing is pretty bad).

But I take great exception to the idea the movie tries to present that Quinn is some tragic figure, a redeemable character despite himself. This guy is nothing but a brutish thug, who completely destroys the life of an innocent, dim-witted girl. (After somehow getting her sister killed, who knows how that happened). He buys her from her mother, just like a slave (her mother may be the second most despicable person in the story), and treats her like one, forcing her to travel around with him and assist him in his act, beating her, forcing her to sleep with him, etc. And he tries stealing from the monastery after the nuns allow him to stay there for the night. And refuses to allow her to leave when she tries escaping (But the biggest crime he commits, when he kills the Fool, it is not done intentionally. Karma is a bitch). Then, he abandons the girl when she is no longer useful to him, leaving this now insane poor thing to the elements, where she may well die -- but wait, after all this time spent with her, at the moment he is abandoning her in the cold, he shows a shred of humanity and covers her with a few extra blankets! and he leaves her her beloved trumpet! and 5 years later, when he finds out that she went crazy and died, he can't handle the regret. And somehow we are supposed to feel like he is a tragic figure. A guy who is, despite all his brutishness, supposed to, at the end of the day, arouse some sympathy. There's something deep down there that is human after all -- so he is not 100% evil, just mostly evil, like all humans are Complex, but this point is always emphasized with the person in a movie whom we are supposed to care about. Well, I don't care if he does show some shred of humanity at the end. Covering the girl with a blanket at the moment he is basically leaving her to die, sorry, that does not arouse my sympathies for him in any way. Doesn't make me feel 1% differently about him than I felt at the moment he was beating her or forcing her to sleep with him. I can certainly agree with ideas about human complexity, not everyone is 100% good or 100% bad, but there is complexity and there is complexity. If the point is that hey, he isn't literally 100% bad, well whoop-dee-doo, I knew that already. Few people are. It's a good movie, and Quinn in particular delivers a great performance, but the idea that we are supposed to somehow feel something for him as a tragic figure is pretty ridiculous, Fellini  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:02:46 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10648 on: July 01, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »

And yet you gave it and "8".

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10649 on: July 01, 2012, 11:01:24 AM »

And yet you gave it and "8".

I never said it's not a good movie! I just said that I found it disgusting how they try to portray the Quinn character as tragic and sympathetic. One (big) problem doesn't necessarily a bad movie make.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:03:17 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 708 709 [710] 711 712 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM