Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 10:41:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759517 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10695 on: July 07, 2012, 02:16:17 PM »

Crazy, Stupid, Love
The pretty good cast and surprisngly good reviews made me give it a chance. Awful decision. A very poorly written, cliche-ridden, generic chick flick that gets worse as it goes on.

The American Friend
Interesting 'thriller', but often times boring and not quite up to par with Paris, Texas or Wings of Desire.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10696 on: July 07, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »

Crazy, Stupid, Love
The pretty good cast and surprisngly good reviews made me give it a chance. Awful decision. A very poorly written, cliche-ridden, generic chick flick that gets worse as it goes on.

The American Friend
Interesting 'thriller', but often times boring and not quite up to par with Paris, Texas or Wings of Desire.

You started this thread and still don't know how to handle it.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10697 on: July 07, 2012, 03:55:19 PM »

Pheww, I just got the idea to re-watch Quantum of Solace, and it must be the 5th or 6th time now. And it incredibly gets better with every viewing, being meanwhile a pure watching pleasure in which I can enjoy every pretty second (well nearly every). I'm now easily ready to give it a 10.

It is probably one of the best edited films I have ever seen, and I have seen quite a lot. and the visual beauty of nearly every single shot of the film is just amazing, and the film contains a damn lot of shots. not only the action scenes have a fast editing frequency, also nearly every scene is resolved into fast changing shots from different angles, and it is the editing which doubles the beauty. And it not the showy beauty of films by directors like Ridley Scott or his brother. Not the braggy beauty of the academy award winning films, the hollow beauty of advertisements, no, there lies a deeper beauty in them which is mirrored by the intelligence of the elegant dialogues the inspired acting in which every mimic and every gestic movement seems to be in complete accordance with the story, their inner and outer motives, the film's politics (it has some), the overall narrative flow. Quantum of Solace is a never expected miracle.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10698 on: July 07, 2012, 06:36:40 PM »

Expresso Bongo - 8/10 - Small-time talent agent Laurence Harvey scores it big promoting singer Cliff Richard, becoming an overnight sensation. Harvey's distraught however to learn his charge has a mind of his own. Adaptation of a much edgier West End musical, the film smoothing over the rougher satirical edges especially re: Richard's character. Bowdlerized or not it still works, with nicely cynical humor and one of Harvey's better performances.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10699 on: July 07, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »

The real question: why do you read this thread when you have your own?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10700 on: July 07, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »

Pheww, I just got the idea to re-watch Quantum of Solace, and it must be the 5th or 6th time now. And it incredibly gets better with every viewing, being meanwhile a pure watching pleasure in which I can enjoy every pretty second (well nearly every). I'm now easily ready to give it a 10.

It is probably one of the best edited films I have ever seen, and I have seen quite a lot. and the visual beauty of nearly every single shot of the film is just amazing, and the film contains a damn lot of shots. not only the action scenes have a fast editing frequency, also nearly every scene is resolved into fast changing shots from different angles, and it is the editing which doubles the beauty. And it not the showy beauty of films by directors like Ridley Scott or his brother. Not the braggy beauty of the academy award winning films, the hollow beauty of advertisements, no, there lies a deeper beauty in them which is mirrored by the intelligence of the elegant dialogues the inspired acting in which every mimic and every gestic movement seems to be in complete accordance with the story, their inner and outer motives, the film's politics (it has some), the overall narrative flow. Quantum of Solace is a never expected miracle.

You're all right, stanton. I don't care WHAT that Jenkins guy says about you.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10701 on: July 07, 2012, 08:12:56 PM »

you're about ten pages too late on this http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg157142#msg157142

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10702 on: July 07, 2012, 09:35:56 PM »

The real question: why do you read this thread when you have your own?

You're a thread late.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10703 on: July 07, 2012, 09:47:25 PM »

You're a thread late.

Wakka wakka.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10704 on: July 07, 2012, 09:54:36 PM »

You talking about number ratings?

I've just decided since then its stupid to label movies with numbers. But if you want...Crazy Stupid Love, 2.5/10...The American Friend 5/10.

also yes stay in your own little private thread please

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10705 on: July 07, 2012, 10:00:32 PM »

Prophecy - 4/10 - Silly horror flick about mercury somehow creating a bloodthirsty mutant bear. What could have been a decent creature feature is dragged down by stultifying pretentiousness. Director John Frankenheimer hits on every conceivable '70s hot button issue: pollution, urban squalor, Indian rights, even abortion. That's nice, but we want monster attacks not lectures. Then again, the attack scenes are excrutiatingly dumb (you will believe a sleeping bag can explode!) so maybe that's not so bad. A few points for nice photography and decent acting.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10706 on: July 08, 2012, 01:54:44 AM »

You're all right, stanton. I don't care WHAT that Jenkins guy says about you.

I probably neither Wink

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10707 on: July 08, 2012, 01:41:21 PM »

The Snorkel (1958) Director: Guy Green stars: Peter van Eyck, Betta St. John, and Mandy Miller. from Imdb: Paul Decker (van Eyck) murders his wife in her Italian villa by drugging her milk and asphyxiating her by gas. He cleverly locks the bedroom from the inside and hides inside a trapdoor in the floor until after the body is discovered by servants. He uses a scuba snorkel connected to tubes on the outside to breathe during the ordeal. Decker's stepdaughter Candy (Miller) suspects him immediately, especially since no suicide note was found. She also is convinced that he murdered her father years before, but her accusations fall on deaf ears. The ruthless Decker even poisons the family spaniel when the pet takes too great an interest in the mask and realizes he will ultimately have to get rid of Candy too, ok film 6/10

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:37:40 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #10708 on: July 09, 2012, 04:29:17 PM »

The Hollow Crown: Henry IV Part 1

7/10

Well, Richard II was much better. This play is a typical middle part, with a great big "to be continued" stamp. And it's half comedy. There were some foreshadowing moments but generally, it's falling apart. Hope the second part has a better plot.
Also, King Henry himself barely had screentime. Falstaff stole the show and I don't like him much. Prince Hal is of course Hiddles, which means beautiful and his voice is made for reciting Shakespeare. Can't wait to get more of him.

The battle looked great, dirty and gritty, no gallant stuff here.

I don't really get Hotspur's problem. So he's a rebellious lad who randomly wants to pwn the King because why not? Someone should really slap him.

Also, where did the last play's lords go? Even the younger ones vanished. Did the King get rid of them all?

"Does this unit have a soul?"
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10709 on: July 09, 2012, 06:46:06 PM »

Kings of the Road
Unlike The American Friend (ZZzzzzz), a much closer step toward the greatness of Wenders' Wings of Desire and Paris, Texas. Although I think it could benefit from a slightly more conventional structure (don't ask me how, because I have no idea), it's a criminally under-seen film.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:35:52 PM by rrpower » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM