Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 05:18:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760711 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10770 on: August 04, 2012, 03:07:30 AM »

The Dark Knight Rises 3.5/10

The Dark Knight had three things going for it: cool supporting cast, cool bad guy, and it was action packed enough to hide the fact that it wasn't intelligent at all). The Dark Knight Rises has none of that.

SPOILERS ALERT

Supporting Cast

Oldman, Caine, Freeman and the like are still übercool. They can still put you on their side with a single smile. But their character now suck so much: there is not a single coherent character in the whole movie. None of their action makes any sense at all. Caine resigning at the worst moment of Wayne's life? Catwoman alternating from bad ass robber (most of the time) to scared little baby (every time something contradicts her plans), and her change of mind at the end of the movie? Oldman's friend deciding to be a good cop after all, out of nowhere? The cops deciding to charge without guns (although no one took their guns from them if I remind correctly) in front of machine guns? The machine guns guys deciding NOT to shoot at them but (also) to charge at them instead? Cotillard and Hardy deciding to spend 10 years of their life with a huge plan to erase Gotham City (a plan that includes building a military base under the city without anyone noticing and setting up a revolution)... uh... what for, exactly? And if they really really wanted so hard so very very hard to turn Gotham into ashes... why didn't they just do it? They had access to the reactor quite easily. And no i don't buy the "there is no true despair without hope", nonsense because, hey, if you have hope, there is no despair. Why not making everyone starving to death BUT feeding them at the same time because "there is no real starvation without food"? And the list goes on and on.

Cool Bad Guy

Come on. He's... uh... bad...? and... strong? Hey, I like that!

An intelligent, action-packed movie

Like everyone said, there is absolutely no action at all in this movie. And the very rare action scenes are so slow, badly conceived and terribly shot that they are a pain to watch. So now we're left alone with the "intelligent" part of the movie. And here comes the problem: it's not intelligent at all. The characters and their actions do not make any sense, we've seen this before, but the whole sociology thing is... empty as hell.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:20:55 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #10771 on: August 04, 2012, 03:51:46 AM »

The Dark Knight Rises 3.5/10

I'll give it 6/10.

I had absolutely zero expectations about it so I can't say I was disappointed. The movie hold my attention surprisingly well given the 164 min running time and the overwhelming stupidity of the whole thing. I can say I was entertained.

Well crafted cinematography, editing and set design. The usual Hans Zimmer crap for music. Nolan's attention to details makes surprisingly well up for his disregard for greater arcs. And Hathaway looks hot in black. 

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10772 on: August 04, 2012, 03:59:32 AM »

And Hathaway looks hot in black. 

+2.5/10

So we agree Smiley

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10773 on: August 04, 2012, 04:39:09 AM »

Like everyone said, there is absolutely no action at all in this movie.

You undermine your argument when you say something objectively wrong. There are three rather protracted action scenes plus a few shorter ones throughout the film. Absolutely no action at all would mean characters talking for three hours.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10774 on: August 04, 2012, 08:21:13 AM »

You undermine your argument when you say something objectively wrong. There are three rather protracted action scenes plus a few shorter ones throughout the film.

I mean very very very few action for a super hero movie. And I should add that most of the (few) action scenes are not treated as such: the first Batman/Bane fight is more of a tragedy than a fight, you spend a LOT of time in the first chase sequence seeing reactions and the fact that the police decides to run after the Batman, and the final is more about "where is everybody" than how they really do what they're doing.

Absolutely no action at all would mean characters talking for three hours.

We're not that far from that.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 08:23:07 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10775 on: August 04, 2012, 09:50:48 AM »

"Most superhero movies"? What are you comparing it, The Avengers?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10776 on: August 04, 2012, 11:14:39 AM »

The Avengers, X-men, Spiderman, The Hulk... you know, superhero movies that are not called "Unbreakable".
So what's your point? There is a lot of action in The Dark Knight Rises and Nolan seemed to care very much about them? Or you're just telling I'm exaggerating?

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10777 on: August 04, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »

I'm saying you're wrong.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10778 on: August 04, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »

So are you, Doctor Grog.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10779 on: August 04, 2012, 02:42:45 PM »

The last Hulk move had what, three action scenes in the whole movie? The Ang Lee version didn't have much more. Spiderman didn't have that much action beyond Peter Parker farting around until the end.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10780 on: August 04, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »

The Deer Hunter (1978) 10/10

My first viewing of this movie, and I was absolutely blown away!!!

SPOILER ALERT

How many movie deaths can you think of that are more poignant than Walken's? How many movie scenes can you think of that are more poignant than his funeral? How many movie scenes involving weddings/community dances are more beautiful than the one in this movie? How many such scenes are that long yet keep you interested every second? How many movies have such an amazing sense of location?

Not many.

This is quite simply a masterpiece.

As for the controversy over the portrayal of the Viet Cong, specifically with the Russian Roulette. I have no idea whether the Viet Cong actually forced people to play Russian Roulette. However, as far as the people who whined about the portrayal of the North Vietnamese as all bad and the Americans all noble: what I DO know is that the Viet Cong were brutal, and that their treatment of POW's certainly did not reflect any concern for what we view consider to be acceptable treatment of POW's, (to put it mildly).  So the fact that the Commies were portrayed as being brutal, well yeah, that's a portrayal that's well deserved. Even if the Russian Roulette games didn't really happen, the point is that it is not inaccurate to portray them as vicious, brutal people. It doesn't mean that America was all 100% noble; the film can actually be seen as a strong indictment of the brutalities of war. And the fact that it was such lovely people as Julie Christie and Hanoi Jane Fonda that whined about the movie (and Fonda said she never even saw the movie!) tells you all you need to know. Yeah Hanoi Jane, the movie should have depicted the Viet Cong's POW camps as lavish resorts, right?  Roll Eyes And that useless human being Pauline Kael, comparing this supposedly unfair portrayal of the North Vietnamese to what she apparently believes to be the equally unfair portrayal of the Japanese in WWII movies: you know what, Pauline, the Japanese WERE brutal in WWII. Their POW camps were indeed horrific. Yeah, the Japanese in WWII should indeed be portrayed as evil, just as the Commies in Vietnam should.
It's a pretty good rule of thumb: you've probably done something right when people like Pauline Kael, Julie Christie, and Jane Fonda oppose it  Wink

I've always placed this just one spot behind OUATIA as the greatest movie I've ever seen.

I can't even remember the last time I've watched a movie. No time anymore. Balls.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10781 on: August 05, 2012, 02:53:03 AM »

The last Hulk move had what, three action scenes in the whole movie? The Ang Lee version didn't have much more. Spiderman didn't have that much action beyond Peter Parker farting around until the end.

When this kind of movie has few action scenes, at least these scenes last quite long (far too long in the last Hulk) and have been included for the sake of the action. The scenes are spectacular and are done mainly to entertain the audience. It doesn't work like that in Unbreakable, Watchmen and The Dark Knight Rises.

Let's review the action sequences I can remember from TDKR (I will not discuss the quality of these sequences here because that's not the point, but for the record, they're mainly wrong paced with poor camerawork/editing):
- Opening plane sequence: a REAL a action sequence.
- Stock exchange robbery: starts like a real action sequence, and then becomes an anti-climatic chase... in which we spend most of the time watching reactions (people watching TV, cops discussing weither they're chasing Bane or the Batman, Catwoman...) rather than the actual action, appart fro ma few highlight in the tunnel. The point of the sequence is 70% "what people think of it" (about the return of Batman) and 30% "a cool chase".
- Catwoman vs the bad guys in the restaurant: real action, but short. It even stops being action once they leave the room: the part where Gordon is in the sewer is so quicly executed that it's obvious the only point was to get him to the hospital and know about Bane. It's not enjoyable at all.
- Catwoman at the bad guys office: starts like some real infiltration, then ends with a fist fight where Batman helps her and Nolan stops to care about what's happening on-screen: now it's about "Batman helped her" and "Batman's moral vs Catwoman's moral" ("no guns").
- Batman and Catwoman in the sewer: nice little montage of a few baddies getting punched. It's more of a comedic sequence than real action.
- Batman vs Bane, first try: like I said, the point here is to show a weak Batman, and it makes us sad. There is (almost) as much action in this scene as their is in, say, Tuco vs Wallace in the prisoners camp.
- The revolution: the stadium part is real action! Also very short, but hey, here, we're supposed to be entertained.
- Ultra quick killing of the army spy: well, that was quick. It lasts just long enough for you to get surprised, but do you actually remember what happens? They're walking, they die. One of them lasts 10 seconds longer than the others.
- Final: the charge of the policemen is never really shown to us (do you have any idea who wins this fight?) and the fact that their is no attention to details in it (strategy, guys?) is further evidence that Nolan didn't care about HOW things were happening, Bane vs Batman is ultra short and unspectacular, so is the chase that follows. Furthermore, the parallel editing does little to help the action to be developed, since we spend a lot of time just seeing what's up with each character. Even Gordon's friend death, which is overly (for what it is, since we don't care about that guy) dramatized is offscreen.

I probably missed a couple action sequences here and there (and telling the truth I almost forgot about the stadium, that's a last minute addition), but my point here is: Nolan didn't care about the action at all, here cared about what it means for the characters and the story arc. So even if you have a few action sequences, it doesn't feel like action.
To have them FEEL like action you have to do more than "cops shoots robber", "Batman hits Bane", "the Joker tries to shoot at the truck and misses it". You have to show HOW this happens: "the Joker aims at the truck, Batman sees this, drives faster and takes the shot". If you're not doing this kind of stuff in your action sequences, if the stakes and conflicts stand somewhere else (Batman being suicidal, for instance), then you're NOT shooting a real action scene. You're not involving the audience into the action. So may be there is a lot of "people shooting at each other" in TDKR, but there is very, very, very very few proper action.

You can have action sequences for the sake of the action, you can have them develop organically from the story, you can have both, but here, it's pretty obvious than Nolan put them for the story and then stopped caring about them. So, like I explained, my point is that if Nolan doesn't care about them, then it reports our attention on what he cares (which is where the stakes and conflicts are): characters and "sociological message", which were big points of TDK. And it's an epic fail with both.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:04:03 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10782 on: August 05, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »

Donnie Brasco - 7/10 - True-life story of an undercover FBI agent who helps take down a New York crime syndicate, only to find himself sucked into their world. The story holds few surprises but manages to be compelling to the end. Great performance by Johnny Depp (back when he bothered to act) and good support from Pacino and Michael Madsen.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10783 on: August 05, 2012, 11:25:45 AM »

Donnie Brasco - 7/10 - True-life story of an undercover FBI agent who helps take down a New York crime syndicate, only to find himself sucked into their world. The story holds few surprises but manages to be compelling to the end. Great performance by Johnny Depp (back when he bothered to act) and good support from Pacino and Michael Madsen.

"Great" from Depp but only "good" from Pacino? Pacino was unreal in this movie (as usual).

And btw, that last scene with Pacino was simply amazing  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10784 on: August 05, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »

Pacino gives roughly the same performance he's been giving since the late '80s.

Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM