Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 09:37:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1763583 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10785 on: August 05, 2012, 01:15:51 PM »

Pacino gives roughly the same performance he's been giving since the late '80s.

I don't think I can remember a bad performance by Pacino

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10786 on: August 05, 2012, 04:23:04 PM »

He was in an Adam Sandler flick last year.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10787 on: August 05, 2012, 05:34:16 PM »

He was in an Adam Sandler flick last year.

haha well I can't say I've seen every Pacino movie either (that would be what, like a hundred movies?) Off the top of my head, the only movies I've seen with him since the late 80's besides Donnie Brasco are Heat, Any Given Sunday, and The Devil's Advocate. (He was awesome in the first; the latter two I saw more than a decade ago so I don't remember much).

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10788 on: August 05, 2012, 06:07:41 PM »

Unfortunately Pacino has become a very bad actor over the years. Always the same bothersome mannerisms. He was so great in the 70s, but meanwhile he's worse than De Niro.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10789 on: August 05, 2012, 06:26:38 PM »

Unfortunately Pacino has become a very bad actor over the years. Always the same bothersome mannerisms. He was so great in the 70s, but meanwhile he's worse than De Niro.

well De Niro has basically become a comedy actor. After Heat, I can't remember watching a movie of his other than Analyze This and Meet the Parents.

And Pacino was definitely great after the 70's, IMO; he was incredible in  Scarface, Heat, Donnie Brasco, and Scent of a Woman. The only movie that I can remember not liking Pacino in was Carlito's Way, cuz he did not have a good Puerto Rican accent. (But every time I finished eg. a semester in school and was headed to freedom, I'd reprise Carlito reprising Martin Luther King, Jr. on the courthouse steps after the opening scene: "FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST, THANK GOD ALMIGHTY I AM FREE AT LAST!"  Grin)

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10790 on: August 05, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »

No, I don't like him in any of these films. After Scarface (weak film anyway, but not as bad as I remembered it) he was ruined fore cinema. But the seed was sown earlier in Bobby Deerfield and And Justice for All.

Two reasons I don't like Heat that much are De Niro and Pacino. But De Niro was at least still acceptable.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10791 on: August 05, 2012, 08:52:15 PM »

Pacino's performance in Scarface fits its over-the-top nature perfectly. Unfortunately Pacino felt compelled to repeat it for pretty much the rest of his career. That's not to say it doesn't work occasionally (Pacino's very good in The Insider and Godfather III, and one of the few things I like about Glengarry Glen Ross), but it's not a patch on his '70s work.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10792 on: August 06, 2012, 01:56:21 AM »

Yeah it got worse in the 90s, and of course not in every film. But in most.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10793 on: August 07, 2012, 06:01:36 PM »

The Bedford Incident (1965) 8/10

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10794 on: August 07, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »

The Bedford Incident (1965) 8/10
2 words NERVOUS REX !!  wally cox deserved  the oscar  Afro

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10795 on: August 07, 2012, 07:58:07 PM »

"PATTERNS "
seriously, hyper pissed off guys. noir scenes of interiors of massive 1956 skyscrapers
Everett Sloane has unbelievably, hideously fast, ultra furious dialog w/ screen play by rod
sterling earning him the first of six emmy awards. lauren bacall pops up in an elevator w/ zero lines  Huh  
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049601/

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:58:55 PM by sargatanas » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10796 on: August 07, 2012, 08:50:21 PM »

"PATTERNS "
seriously, hyper pissed off guys. noir scenes of interiors of massive 1956 skyscrapers
Everett Sloane has unbelievably, hideously fast, ultra furious dialog w/ screen play by rod
sterling. a bute on DVD. lauren bacall pops up in an elevator w/ zero lines  Huh  

Sounds very interesting ;-)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10797 on: August 08, 2012, 03:20:03 AM »

"PATTERNS "
sterling earning him the first of six emmy awards. lauren bacall pops up in an elevator w/ zero lines  Huh  

yeah, I saw this one as well (Van Heflin day on TCM). It was definitely fun. I give it an 8/10. Sloane, Begley, and Heflin were all real good. As were Beatrice Straight and Elizabeth Wilson. (Wilson is still with us, at 91 years old).

One thing I kind of didn't like was all that screaming about the cutthroat business tactics vs. the humanity. A board has only duty and that is increasing value to its shareholders. All this bla bla about humanity, that's not what a company is about. If they would refrain from closing down a plant that's losing money just cuz they feel bad for the laid-off workers, they could be sued by their shareholders for breach of fiduciary duties. As it was made clear, the company was nothing when it was run by people interested in humanity. If, say, the Sloane character was engaging in dishonest business practices, then of course I would agree that he was wrong; nobody ever has a right to act dishonestly in search of profits. But these abstract whinings about humanity don't make much sense.

So I have a quibble with the trait which they used to present the tension between the two ideologies. But overall, as far as showing the cutthroat business culture, I thought this movie was good.

And the part with Ed Begley's son, "Father, I have a whole drawer full of tickets to games we were supposed to see," was very touching.

Also, there was a great bit of camera work, in a scene where someone has a heart attack. The camera becomes his POV, so we see everything spinning, everyone crowding around him, looking all blurry, and slowly it fades to black, so we know he's become unconscious. I really liked that bit.

This was a good movie, and I am slowly starting to get more and more respect for Van Heflin as an actor. There was another movie showing on TCM called "THE PROWLER," it uses the same basic storyline of DOUBLE INDEMNITY/THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE: Van Heflin plays a cop who is called to the home of a woman (Evelyn Keyes) who has seen a prowler; he's attracted to her, and her husband has a lot of money... The story starts to get a little nuts toward the end, but for anyone who complains that Van Heflin always plays the good guy, think again.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:25:30 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10798 on: August 08, 2012, 06:07:28 AM »

i think the humanity bit was Corny, but it made Sloane's character
look all the more dictator worse. ed begley's heart attack best ever on film. you know poor ed's fixing to drop dead but beagley could milk that sucker real good.  those staccato rage rants Sloane was
capable of.  i don't think there were any shareholders as much as
guinea pigs of Sloane's character. the ending was van the man standing
his ground, taking care of business which finally brought a wry smile to the otherwise stone/Sloane face as if to say NOW we're talking   Azn which suddenly breaths new life into his bad ass character in the film's very last frames

the final scene in THE PROWLER where van heflin, now found out,
makes a run by trying to get over that huge desert hill would have been
better in slo - mo after running dead in to his police partner & bitchy wife because of the rocks he placed in the one lane road to keep people out of his hide out....caught, in the jaws of his own vice  stranding him w/
no car causing him to now just like run. only to almost make it over the hill.....to what ? the guy who shot him
was half a mile away. one shot, one kill. nice rolling all the way back down
that damn hill of mushy stuff Cheesy i'm a van fan for life now pal.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:38:40 AM by sargatanas » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10799 on: August 08, 2012, 06:55:28 AM »

i think the humanity bit was Corny, but it made Sloane's character
look all the more dictator worse. ed begley's heart attack best ever on film. you know poor ed's fixing to drop dead but beagley could milk that sucker real good.  those staccato rage rants Sloane was
capable of.  i don't think there were any shareholders as much as
guinea pigs of Sloane's character. the ending was van the man standing
his ground, taking care of business which finally brought a wry smile to the otherwise stone/Sloane face as if to say NOW we're talking   Azn which suddenly breaths new life into his bad ass character in the film's very last frames

the final scene in THE PROWLER where van heflin, now found out,
makes a run by trying to get over that huge desert hill would have been
better in slo - mo after running dead in to his police partner & bitchy wife because of the rocks he placed in the one lane road to keep people out of his hide out....caught, in the jaws of his own vice  stranding him w/
no car causing him to now just like run. only to almost make it over the hill.....to what ? the guy who shot him
was half a mile away. one shot, one kill. nice rolling all the way back down
that damn hill of mushy stuff Cheesy i'm a van fan for life now pal.

well let's face it, the Heflin character was competitive as well. He got what he wanted; he wasn't necessarily 100% principled either. And maybe that's the point, that even when people have morals, they only have it up to a point.
Sloane did deliver a terrific performance.

As for THE PROWLER, the editing was terrible in that final scene: Heflin is trying to crawl up a hill, then it cuts to a scene of him falling backward quickly, and then immediately back to the first shot of him trying to go up the hill. It's obvious that the middle shot does not belong there, that is very poor editing

Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM