Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 07:09:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830068 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10800 on: August 12, 2012, 02:18:41 PM »

Ronin - 9/10 - Criminal-for-hire Robert De Niro joins a team assigned to retrieve a Macguffin from gangsters in Paris. Lots of twists, turns and killings result. Pretty much your ideal action movie: there's just enough plot to get things moving, then stand aside for slickly-paced, exciting action. John Frankenheimer's a master of car chases and this movie has some doozies, and the finale is a particular treat. A first-rate cast (Jean Reno, Stellan Skarsgard, Jonathan Pryce, Michael Lonsdale) sells the necessary exposition.

Saturday nights with Groggy
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10801 on: August 17, 2012, 05:27:20 AM »

JIM, THE WORLD'S GREATEST 8 / 2
The Cheerleader. The Girlfriend. The Brother. The Father. He took care of them all. 

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10802 on: August 17, 2012, 04:10:56 PM »

Just saw Cinema Paradiso for the first time. The 173 minute version (ie. Tornatore's version). Absolutely blown away. You can argue that a couple of things are perhaps a bit contrived, the melodrama may be laid on too thick, or that there's something of a lack of subtlety. It's still one of the greatest movies I have ever seen  Afro Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10803 on: August 17, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »

Just saw Cinema Paradiso for the first time. The 173 minute version (ie. Tornatore's version). Absolutely blown away. You can argue that a couple of things are perhaps a bit contrived, the melodrama may be laid on too thick, or that there's something of a lack of subtlety. It's still one of the greatest movies I have ever seen  Afro Afro

Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10804 on: August 17, 2012, 05:00:44 PM »

Reversal of Fortune (1990) 8/10

I'd heard about this case but was unaware of the movie (and book) till recently.

One of Dershowitz's real-life students who worked on the case with him was Jim Cramer of CNBC's Mad Money.

I also just saw The Journey (1959), with Deborah Kerr, Yul Brynner, and Jason Robards in his first film role. It was very good until the last 15 minutes; starting with that scene where Brynner starts crying to Kerr about how he doesn't understand anything anymore cuz he loves Kerr, the movie falls apart. That scene is painful to watch. The guy is a brutal Commie murderer, and suddenly he's crying in typical Hollywood fashion about a girl screwing up his whole value system, and letting them off free?Huh And Robards shaking his hand at the end??? WTF does everything have to always end in some sort of reconciliation between adversaries? Fuck that.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:04:11 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10805 on: August 17, 2012, 11:12:52 PM »

Dumby! 173 minute version sucks.

There Will Be Blood - 10/10
fuck you guys.

Expendables 2
Great campy fun, hilariously awful jokes, fun action. I think I slightly preferred the first one.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10806 on: August 18, 2012, 08:29:02 PM »

Dumby! 173 minute version sucks.

well I never saw the other version so I can't compare.

There are some serious problems with the movie (or at least the version I saw). I've been debating whether I should state my problems with it or just say that despite some serious problems, it's an amazing movie..... ok, I'll state a few:

-- there's no doubt that the the scenes as a young child are clearly the best, and as soon as the young boy's face turns into the teenager's face, I groaned and I am sure many other viewers did as well; the youthful magic is never re-captured. It's not that the older actors are bad, but you have this incredibly cute little kid, and there's no way to top that.

-- as much as the Toto relied on Alfredo, some of the "advice" was plain ridiculous. Yeah, sometimes someone has to move on from the small town of his youth in order to move on in life. But for someone to have never returned once to see his family in 30 years?? It's not like he was on bad terms with his family, he loved them, but because some old man gives him advice never to return, he literally doesn't have any contact with his family (except sending them money) for 30 years? As if visiting them occasionally would somehow hold him back? That whole idea is so preposterous, it's laughable.

-- Ditto with the idea of Alfredo asking the girl not to contact Toto, and the girl agreeing??? Same ludicrousness.

-- And after 30 years they still haven't gotten over each other? I thought Gone With the Wind was crazy for having Scarlett running after Ashley for what, like 7 years? But THIRTY YEARS LATER?

I mean, yeah, this can all be interpreted symbolically, but still, it has to make some sense on the surface. And if some old man gives that sort of advice, he is not a wise man but a lunatic, and the boy who listens to his advice as if he is God, is just as an idiot.

And as I mentioned, there is also a tremendous lack of subtlety throughout eg. THE LAST PICTURE SHOW was also about the nostalgia of old-time movie-going [albeit to a somewhat lesser extent] but did it in a much more subtle manner. Also, when the old couple finally does it in the car: they start kissing, the camera pulls away from the car, the lights are flashing, we get it, they are DOING IT, no need for the woman to talk about it in the next scene. This movie knows nothing about subtlety. It's too self-conscious about its message and lets you know it, over and over again.

I don't know whether these problems exist in the shorter version. Still, I'd prefer to see the version that was intended by the filmmaker, rather than the version that was made by the American distributor.

There, I've been thinking about all this since Friday afternoon, and now I've finally said it.

And despite all these problems, the contrivances and the excessive melodrama, etc. etc. etc.  it is STILL a 10/10. There is an incredible magic to it. And btw, I couldn't help but think of how similar it is to OUATIA in the abstract: a movie about cinema, taking place in three separate eras, with about 3 decades between the middle and older stages, about fantasy and regret and time and dreams and cinema  

FINE Smiley

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10807 on: August 18, 2012, 11:45:54 PM »

I don't know whether these problems exist in the shorter version.   

Pretty much every single one of those problems you listed is completely gone in the short version. And unless you magically forget the plot, there really is no switching over. The best part about the shorter cut is that it's more like OUATIA in the way that much is left unanswered. When I watched the long cut, so much was answered that I much preferred to be unanswered. The best I can do now is pretend that it never existed, that I never watched it, and still come up with my own interpretation of the story when watching the shorter version. It's just tough/nonsensical to do that knowing the truth.

The short cut is one of the best movies ever made, and maybe the sole example of distributors cutting down a movie to make it better.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10808 on: August 19, 2012, 03:21:05 AM »

Pretty much every single one of those problems you listed is completely gone in the short version. And unless you magically forget the plot, there really is no switching over. The best part about the shorter cut is that it's more like OUATIA in the way that much is left unanswered. When I watched the long cut, so much was answered that I much preferred to be unanswered. The best I can do now is pretend that it never existed, that I never watched it, and still come up with my own interpretation of the story when watching the shorter version. It's just tough/nonsensical to do that knowing the truth.

The short cut is one of the best movies ever made, and maybe the sole example of distributors cutting down a movie to make it better.

yea ditto,
i've never seen the long cut and don't remember any of what you described.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10809 on: August 19, 2012, 07:08:10 AM »

I've only seen the short cut and it did very little for me. Manipulative codswallop with a great score.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10810 on: August 19, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »

Batman (1989) - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. Liked it more on a rewatch.

Batman Returns - 6/10 - This is widely upheld as the series' best but I can't imagine why. Tim Burton mostly fit his style to the material in the first film but indulges himself here, with his trademark insufferable mixture of the twee and grotesque. The villains, set pieces and mis en scene are too broad, and Batman's barely in the film. Danny De Vito and Christopher Walken are fun villains, but Michelle Pfeiffer's feminist Catwoman annoyed me. Has its moments but overall underwhelming.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10811 on: August 19, 2012, 06:22:18 PM »

Classe tous risques (1960) Director:Claude Sautet Stars: Lino Ventura, Sandra Milo and Jean-Paul Belmondo

Storyline (IMDb)
Abel Davis is a criminal, hunted in Italy. The police are closing in, so he and his pal Raymond arrange to flee back to France with Abel's wife, Thérèse, and their two young sons. Abel and Raymond commit a brazen robbery to get funds, killing two men; in the escape, more die. Abel arrives in Nice with the boys, calls his pals in Paris, and gets the brush-off. Reluctantly, they send a stranger, Eric Stark, to bring Abel to Paris, but he's getting the message he's on his own. Honor, friendship, and debt now count for little. What can Abel, a wanted man with two small children and only Stark as a friend, do? "Never give ground," he tells Eric, but how long can he hold to his code?

Great film good cast, will keep you watching 8/10

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10812 on: August 19, 2012, 07:27:48 PM »

Ditto for me too.

But don't get me started on "The Legend of the Pianist on the Ocean" (aka "The Legend of 1900"). I've never seen the butchered version of that and don't intend to.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10813 on: August 19, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »

It's interesting to hear all this: after watching the movie, I read Ebert's reviews, on the short version http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19900316/REVIEWS/3160302/1023 and the long version http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20020628/REVIEWS/206280301/1023

and Ebert also says that this may be the only time that distributors chopping a film actually improved it (although for some reason, he gives the short version 3.5  stars and the long version 4 stars.... go figure Rog).

But yeah, now I definitely have to see the short version, and preferably very soon, while the long version is fresh in my mind, so that I can compare the two. I rented the long version off Netflix, I wonder if they have the short version as well?

rrpower --  can you remember (as much as possible) which scenes were chopped for the shorter version?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:31:41 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10814 on: August 20, 2012, 01:32:52 AM »

My understanding is that the original Italian version of Cinema Paradiso was 155 minutes, but it was cut to 123 minutes for American release (before being released in 2002 as a 174-minute version).

I assume that the version y'all are recommending is the 123-minute version, not the 155, correct? (I don't even know if the 155 is available in America?)

Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM