Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 12:55:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1833047 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10815 on: August 20, 2012, 06:24:09 AM »

Yeah, 123 minute.

Pretty much everything of old Toto is cut out, and a decent portion of teenage Toto fluff to spare you a lot of unnecessary sappiness. Also a crucial moment involving Alfred is never revealed (which changes the course of the film IMO). I'm trying not to spoil anything because at a certain point it becomes a very different story than the extended cut. Not that it really matters, since you know what happens anyways...but if you watch it while pretending to completely ignore the long cut, it's a different movie.

I will say that the only benefit to the long cut is that it makes Alfred's film reel to Toto a bit more meaningful.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10816 on: August 20, 2012, 02:22:43 PM »

City for Conquest (1940) 7/10

Despite various flaws (including the silly narration by the homeless guy), there is something very touching about this one. Cagney is really good, I've always loved Ann Sheridan (although I hope that the idiot that gave her the short-clipped hair choked on a sausage). The star-studded cast also includes the very young Anthony Quinn, Arthur Kennedy, and Elia Kazan.

Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962) 9/10

An all-time great performance by Anthony Quinn. Jackie Gleason, Mickey Rooney, and Julie Harris are real good too.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:10:16 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10817 on: August 21, 2012, 04:00:28 AM »

Scandal Sheet (1952) Sam Fuller's story of the exploitative newspaper world. Fun to watch 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10818 on: August 21, 2012, 01:02:35 PM »

Scandal Sheet (1952) Sam Fuller's story of the exploitative newspaper world. Fun to watch 7/10
Careful, Joe. You may give the impression that Fuller did more than write it. In fact, this is a Phil Karlson picture.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10819 on: August 21, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »

Careful, Joe. You may give the impression that Fuller did more than write it. In fact, this is a Phil Karlson picture.

Yes I'll do a full entry in the index about it soon

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10820 on: August 22, 2012, 07:36:17 AM »

Batman Forever - 4/10 - It stinks!

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: August 22, 2012, 11:12:19 PM »

Grand Prix (1966) 9/10

The cinematography in the racing scenes is awesome.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:41:42 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10822 on: August 24, 2012, 01:55:34 PM »

Cry Terror (1958) nothing special and not very noir-ish. IMDb mistakenly describes the final denouement taking place in the NYC subway, it doesn't it actually takes place in the PATH tubes to Jersey. Nice cast though 6/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10823 on: August 24, 2012, 03:11:11 PM »

Cry Terror (1958) nothing special and not very noir-ish. IMDb mistakenly describes the final denouement taking place in the NYC subway, it doesn't it actually takes place in the PATH tubes to Jersey. Nice cast though 6/10

As I discussed here, http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11306.msg156993#msg156993 the narration is one of the sloppiest I've ever seen, but the cast makes it a fun watch. Never expected to see Jack Klugman as a bad guy or Angie Dickinson as a (VERY!) bad girl. Steiger, as always, is terrific.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:13:34 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10824 on: August 24, 2012, 10:08:14 PM »

Salvador - 8/10
One of Oliver Stone's best films, carried further by an extremely entertaining and engrossing performance from OUATIA's own James Woods.

The Dark Knight Rises - 8/10
It's general flaws, plotholes and sometimes awful dialogue are highlighted on a second viewing, but regardless, it's still just about as good as mainstream Hollywood movies get.

21 Jump Street - 8.5/10
Still one of the funniest comedies to come out in a long, long time.

The Hunger Games - 2/10
I had about an hour left but didn't bother finishing. Where to begin? 100% completely uninteresting characters, glaringly bad direction and camerawork, some of the worst editing I've ever seen, completely uninspired, wooden, emotionless performances from everyone, special effects that looked better 20+ years ago, another unoriginal look at a post apocalyptic world, ridiculous plot devices (he can camouflage himself because he was good at decorating CAKE FROSTING? Really?), and worst of all - boring as fucking shit. Even the action sucks, especially being completely ineligible over the combination of awful camerawork and ridiculous editing techniques. The only points come from a relatively decent concept (executed horribly) and somewhat bearable performances (it's hard to act 'bad' when the characters are as uninteresting and bland as they are in the first place). It takes itself even more seriously than Lord of the Rings, which is saying something.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:11:07 PM by rrpower » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10825 on: August 25, 2012, 05:45:23 AM »

Get Carter (1971) 10/10 .  Pulled out my old VHS and popped it in the player. Excellent and still impressive British Neo Noir, will have to pick up the DVD ;-)

IMDb Storyline: A vicious London gangster, Jack Carter, travels to Newcastle for his brother's funeral. He begins to suspect that his brother's death was not an accident and sets out to follow a complex trail of lies, deceit, cover-ups and backhanders through Newcastle's underworld, leading, he hopes, to the man who ordered his brother killed. Because of his ruthlessness Carter exhibits all the unstopability of the android in Terminator, or Walker in Point Blank, and he and the other characters in the film are prone to sudden, brutal acts of violence.

I'll make a proper topic for it soon.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 05:50:50 AM by cigar joe » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10826 on: August 26, 2012, 12:26:06 AM »

The Hunger Games - 2/10
I had about an hour left but didn't bother finishing.

I never to rate a movie if I didn't finish it; as bad as a movie is (and there are MANY, MANY movies that I've shut off after 30, 20, or even 10 minutes) I've always felt it unfair to give an official rating if I didn't see it all the way through (and btw, I thought you didn't rate movies??  Wink)

-------------------

btw, I was just thinking of how much it must suck to be a movie critic, having to sit all the way through endless horrible movies....

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10827 on: August 26, 2012, 02:53:37 AM »

I saw the Hunger Games yesterday and whilst it'll never make my top 25, it wasn't that bad say 7/10.

It is of course based on a trilogy of books by Suzanne Collins and I'm told the movie is quite close to the story in the first book. The story in the 2nd book may be better. Some quite interesting ideas, costumes enhanced by fire and winners not necessarily being the strongest - the ability to win friends and infuence people may be more important.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10828 on: August 26, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »

Grizzly Park - 1/10 - Unspeakably bad made-for-video creature feature. To give you an idea: one character is killed when the bear scoops out her breast implants. Stay classy guys.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:00:43 AM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10829 on: August 26, 2012, 09:59:11 AM »

I saw the Hunger Games yesterday and whilst it'll never make my top 25, it wasn't that bad say 7/10.

I liked it aside from the overly-convenient plotting in the second half. They really had to struggle to keep Katniss alive to the end. Otherwise a solid action flick.

Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM