Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 08:42:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1839163 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10935 on: September 26, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »

Once Upon a time in the West (1968) 10/10  Afro Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)  10/10 Afro - Shockproof (1949) 6/10

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:50:24 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10936 on: September 26, 2012, 06:27:48 PM »

Once Upon a time in the West (1968) 10/10  Afro Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)  10/10 Afro - Shockproof (1949) 6/10

The next time I watch a Leone film, it will be OUATITW. But I don't plan on seeing Alfredo Garcia ever again

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10937 on: September 26, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »

The Rain People (1969) 8/10

A very interesting movie starring Shirley Knight, James Caan, and Robert Duvall, directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

There's frequent use of flashbacks here that I'm not certain are entirely necessary. The characters are certainly going through a lot (in the present and/or the past). Everything that occurs in the flashbacks is already revealed to us in dialogue, so the flashbacks are certainly not necessary to reveal what happened. You can argue that the point is to revel to us a memory that the character is having at the moment, what the character is thinking about at the time, but the problem is that while that ic correct in some instances, it's not the case in others. Or perhaps you can argue that the flashbacks -- filmed in a sort of documentary/sped up-/in your face style -- just serve in general to reveal to us that there's lots of tension in the background of these characters, ie. to reveal to us the general mood, as opposed to telling us specific information. Who knows. I am sort of debating myself whether or not it was necessary.

Anyway, it's a fun time. And James Caan is absolutely amazing playing a slow-witted character (he is a former college football player who suffered a head injury and subsequent mental disability).

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10938 on: September 26, 2012, 11:09:56 PM »

OH, MAN ! shirley knight was one hot blond circa 1963   Afro

i'm watching " HARPER " on TCM. what a cast w/ strother " what we got here is failure..." martian as claude the weird noir  LA religious nut. check out harper's porsh http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/346394/Harper-Movie-Clip-Disciples-For-Supper.html
 Afro

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:04:56 PM by sargatanas » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: September 27, 2012, 03:40:39 AM »

The next time I watch a Leone film, it will be OUATITW. But I don't plan on seeing Alfredo Garcia ever again
your loss watch it when you get older you may change your mind PS Ebert does a good review

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10940 on: September 27, 2012, 04:08:58 AM »

How Did You Do It, Billy? (1992). A series of interviews with Billy Wilder, conducted by Volker Schlondorf, done in three parts for British television, and unavailable for viewing for 20 years.

I bought the dvd 5 years ago.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: September 27, 2012, 04:32:53 AM »

of the short version or of this full version?
I know that this extended version shown at Film Forum is the longer version which apparently has never been shown in America. Has the long version been available in Europe?

Also, I am wondering if this interview (the short version, of course) has been included on the bonus features of the dvd of one of Wilder's movies? Cuz somehow I feel that I MUST have seen it; I distinctly recall watching an interview with Wilder -- I believe on one of his dvd's bonus features -- with a German interviewer, and the conversation moves back and forth between English and German. It must have been this interview, but I just can't recall where I've seen it....

--------------
On an unrelated note: the Criterion dvd of Ace in the Hole is a 2-disc set, with the second disc comprised entirely of bonus features, including a long interview with French critic Michel Ciment, and lots of other great stuff. It is an amazing disc, and I highly recommend that any Wilder fan check out it out  Smiley

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: September 27, 2012, 04:43:49 AM »

of the short version or of this full version?
I know that this extended version shown at Film Forum is the longer version which apparently has never been shown in America. Has the long version been available in Europe?

Also, I am wondering if this interview (the short version, of course) has been included on the bonus features of the dvd of one of Wilder's movies? Cuz somehow I feel that I MUST have seen it; I distinctly recall watching an interview with Wilder -- I believe on one of his dvd's bonus features -- with a German interviewer, and the conversation moves back and forth between English and German. It must have been this interview, but I just can't recall where I've seen it....

--------------
On an unrelated note: the Criterion dvd of Ace in the Hole is a 2-disc set, with the second disc comprised entirely of bonus features, including a long interview with French critic Michel Ciment, and lots of other great stuff. It is an amazing disc, and I highly recommend that any Wilder fan check out it out  Smiley

I donìt know about the short version. I saw the three-part interview on tv (I would have bet it was the '80's, but it seems I'm wrong on that) and the dvd (currently available in a different release from the one I have) it is exactly as the program I saw. I should check the running time, but first I have to find it and that I have no time for. Anyway, this is the italian release in two dvd's (on one dvd is Double Indemnity) currently available:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:45:12 AM by titoli » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10943 on: September 27, 2012, 04:48:26 AM »

didn't Wilder supposedly ban the release of this interview until after he died? (Then how could you have seen it in thee 80's -- he died in 2002?)
That's another reason I am so sure I have seen this -- besides for the fact that i remember seeing an interview where he frequently speaks German, I also clearly remember him saying that it can't be released during his lifetime, but that after he dies, it's ok. So it MUST have been this one that I saw; I just can't seem to remember which movie's bonus features it was on....

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: September 27, 2012, 05:03:05 AM »

didn't Wilder supposedly ban the release of this interview until after he died? (Then how could you have seen it in thee 80's -- he died in 2002?)
That's another reason I am so sure I have seen this -- besides for the fact that i remember seeing an interview where he frequently speaks German, I also clearly remember him saying that it can't be released during his lifetime, but that after he dies, it's ok. So it MUST have been this one that I saw; I just can't seem to remember which movie's bonus features it was on....

Actually I couldn't have seen it befgore it was made. But that it was aired almost two decades ago on italian tv is sure. I doubt that, being 3 hours long, that it could be in the bonus features of any dvd except in excerpts.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: September 28, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »

I doubt that, being 3 hours long, that it could be in the bonus features of any dvd except in excerpts.

I think it was a shortened version, this 3-hour version has just been released in America for the first time

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: September 28, 2012, 11:19:47 AM »

The Hustler (1961) 9/10

The performances here are all terrific: Paul Newman, Piper Laurie, Jackie Gleason, George C. Scott

---------------------------------------------------------

Breathless (1960) 10/10

I am really not a fan of jump cuts -- and btw, many of the jump cuts are only there cuz Godard had to chop the movie as its running time was too long -- I actually really like when long scenes have continuous shots. It's kind of interesting that many of these New Wave films are famous for a documentary style, when in fact, long continuous shots -- and not jump cuts -- are generally associated with documentary filmmaking.

I really think that what Seberg does at the end, and her explanation for it, is silly. But anyway, this is a terrific movie. That long scene between Belmondo and Seberg in her hotel room is awesome.

Reading up on Seberg's life, and watching the bonus features on the Criterion documentary, what a terribly sad story  Cry

I saw the Criterion blu ray; I was unaware that the English subtitles on the final dialogue differ between various dvd's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathless_%281960_film%29#Closing_dialogue    Any French-speakers here have an opinion on what's the best translation?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:04:55 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10947 on: September 28, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »

French version:

MICHEL: C'est vraiment dégueulasse.
PATRICIA: Qu'est ce qu'il a dit?
VITAL: Il a dit que vous êtes vraiment "une dégueulasse".
PATRICIA: Qu'est ce que c'est "dégueulasse"?

There is no perfect translation. "Dégueulasse" is an adjective. It means disgusting/gross (in a very familiar way of saying so). But can also mean that the action, the situation or the person is unfair. Hence the "bitch". The whole idea of the dialogue is to play with that double meaning.

Then:

=> He means either "this is really disgusting" or "that was really bitchy"
We cannot know what he is talking about. Dying is unfair? What she did was not cool?

=> "What did he say?"

=> Vital went for the "That was really bitchy" meaning. He removes any ambiguity.

=> "What's that mean, dégueulasse?"
Double-meaning from Godard: she really doesn't know what the word mean, and Godard tries to ask the audience a philosophical question (and fails because he was a filmmaker and NEVER was a philosopher, but it's still a good movie).

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10948 on: September 28, 2012, 12:09:57 PM »

3-hour version?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: September 28, 2012, 01:56:39 PM »

French version:

There is no perfect translation. "Dégueulasse" is an adjective. It means disgusting/gross (in a very familiar way of saying so). But can also mean that the action, the situation or the person is unfair. Hence the "bitch". The whole idea of the dialogue is to play with that double meaning.

Then:

=> He means either "this is really disgusting" or "that was really bitchy"
We cannot know what he is talking about. Dying is unfair? What she did was not cool?

=> "What did he say?"

=> Vital went for the "That was really bitchy" meaning. He removes any ambiguity.

=> "What's that mean, dégueulasse?"
Double-meaning from Godard: she really doesn't know what the word mean, and Godard tries to ask the audience a philosophical question (and fails because he was a filmmaker and NEVER was a philosopher, but it's still a good movie).

well no matter what translation you use, the point is that Vital's translation was mistaken; Michel was talking about the situation, and Vital repeated it as if he was talking about her, right?

Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM