Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 04:39:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1804593 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10950 on: September 28, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »

The Sand Pebbles (1966) 9/10 (second viewing)

Blu ray looks beautiful. The river is an odd shade of blue, though I've never been to the river in Taiwan that the movie was actually shot on, so I don't know if it's accurate.

What I also loved is how it looks like all the scenes on the deck appear to have been actually filmed on the deck of a boat. There was only one shot in the entire film (lasting about 2 seconds) that I thought might have been a processed shot; otherwise, everything looks real. The production design was terrific.

When the boat is heading for the boom, the shots facing the boom show a beautiful blue sky; but when the camera cuts to the officers on deck (ie. the camera is facing the back of the boat), the sky looks very cloudy. I guess it's theoretically possible, sometimes you can see heavy clouds in the horizon even when it's really sunny day, but that's probably the one continuity gaffe.

This is a terrific movie  Afro Afro

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:05:29 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10951 on: September 29, 2012, 03:37:51 AM »

well no matter what translation you use, the point is that Vital's translation was mistaken; Michel was talking about the situation, and Vital repeated it as if he was talking about her, right?

Actually, there is no way to know for sure what Michael was talking about. The only fact is that the ambiguity is lost for Patricia because of Vital.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10952 on: September 29, 2012, 04:35:29 PM »

A Film Forum Double Feature!
Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970). First DCP viewing. Grover Crisp, Sony's VP of Restorations-and-what-have-you was on hand to crow and he was entitled. I've only ever seen beat-up prints before, but this was beautiful: sharp, saturated colors, spotless. And Morricone's score as infectious as ever. According to Crisp this will be out on a Criterion blu-ray in 2013. He had other news as well: the LoA presentation at the NY Film Festival (showing tomorrow) will be in 6K. The one-day Fathom event next Thursday (4K or 2K, depending) will not be the only time the new restoration runs in theaters (a regular run is coming to a NY cinema soon). A DCP restoration of Olivier's Richard III is coming.

Dial "M" For Murder (1954). First 3-D viewing. This was a lot of fun, with an audience laughing at all the intentional gags and several unintentinal ones (could the Grace Kelly character be any more annoyingly helpless?). Can't wait to see the Blu-ray (in 2 weeks) in the correct AR at last!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10953 on: September 29, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »

3-hour version?

170'

http://www.mediatecasantasofia.it/?page_id=745

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10954 on: September 29, 2012, 08:02:34 PM »

A Film Forum Double Feature!
Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970). First DCP viewing. Grover Crisp, Sony's VP of Restorations-and-what-have-you was on hand to crow and he was entitled. I've only ever seen beat-up prints before, but this was beautiful: sharp, saturated colors, spotless. And Morricone's score as infectious as ever. According to Crisp this will be out on a Criterion blu-ray in 2013. He had other news as well: the LoA presentation at the NY Film Festival (showing tomorrow) will be in 6K. The one-day Fathom event next Thursday (4K or 2K, depending) will not be the only time the new restoration runs in theaters (a regular run is coming to a NY cinema soon). A DCP restoration of Olivier's Richard III is coming.

Glad to hear it'll be released on Criterion BR.  I've still never seen the movie cuz the dvd is not easy to get in America, so if I can't see it at Film Forum, it's not all that long to wait for the BR.

btw, have you ever been to the IFC Center? http://www.ifccenter.com/  It's another independent/classic movie theater I recently heard about, just a few blocks away from Film Forum,  but I've never been inside. I'm particularly wondering what the screen size and sound are like, as compared to Film Forum?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10955 on: September 29, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »

I am really keen on seeing Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion. I watched about half an hour of it on a beat-up VHS with English dubbing. It was impossible to wring any enjoyment out of it. Great news DJ. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10956 on: September 30, 2012, 12:12:39 PM »

I Confess - 6/10 - Mediocre Hitchcock. It's another "wrong man" plot with a twist: Montgomery Clift is a priest so he can't spill the beans. Good thing the real killer stupidly exposes himself at the end. The story gimmick wears thin fast and without much stylistic interest (lots of religious iconography, a prolonged flashback) it amounts to very little.

The Small Back Room - 8/10 - Another wartime P&P drama with David Farrar as a scarred explosives expert. Provides a dark character study, showing the effects war on ordinary people. P&P provide amusing satire of government bureaucracy: Jack Hawkins, cast against type, is a riot playing a gladhanding salesman-turned-official. Aside from a surreal dream sequence it's directorally restrained by P&P standards, but the sparse, oppressive atmosphere is appropriate.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:46:06 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10957 on: October 01, 2012, 06:29:07 AM »

The Master (2012) 10/10. Freddy, a loner and a drunk, spends his sober hours thinking about getting laid. Master is the leader of a new cult, surrounded by sycophants, sure, but also a hostile culture bent on destroying the new movement. Both men could use a friend. And hey!—one day the two happen to meet and the unlikely bro-mance begins. Eventually, circumstances separate them. But Master is free to dream about a future incarnation where he may re-encounter his friend.  Freddy, meanwhile, finally gets lucky with a chick who has enormous knockers. This heart-warming buddy flick gets props for acting, photography and one helluva great score.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10958 on: October 01, 2012, 07:17:24 AM »

The Master (2012) 10/10. Freddy, a loner and a drunk, spends his sober hours thinking about getting laid. Master is the leader of a new cult, surrounded by sycophants, sure, but also a hostile culture bent on destroying the new movement. Both men could use a friend. And hey!—one day the two happen to meet and the unlikely bro-mance begins. Eventually, circumstances separate them. But Master is free to dream about a future incarnation where he may re-encounter his friend.  Freddy, meanwhile, finally gets lucky with a chick who has enormous knockers. This heart-warming buddy flick gets props for acting, photography and one helluva great score.

Sounds good! Sounds like a bunch of spoilers too.

www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #10959 on: October 01, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »

Dial M for Murder (1954) - 7/10
New 3D DCP, without subtitles. This was the first time I've seen this film and may quite possibly be the last time too. Not among my favorites from Hitch. 3D was well used but it couldn't quite hide the fact that for the most part the movie is like a filmed play.

Keyhole (2011) - 5/10
Also without subtitles (this time it kinda bothered me). I went in pretty spontaneously - I just happened to see that the latest Guy Maddin movie is playing and so I went in. I've never been on an acid trip but I imagine it could be something like this. Lynch meets 200 Motels. The DSLR B&W cinematography kinda suited Maddin's lo-fi aesthetics but I preferred his earlier super-8 films.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10960 on: October 01, 2012, 10:08:59 AM »

Yeah, WTF DJ!

But even though he said the ending, there's a hell of a lot more going on thematically that is impossible to spoil. You're in for a hell of a treat when you get to see it. I can't give a rating until I watch it again next weekend, but it's somewhere around 9 or 10 status.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10961 on: October 01, 2012, 10:58:18 AM »

Oops! I guess I should not have characterized the girl's assets. Sorry!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10962 on: October 01, 2012, 11:02:46 AM »

Report from the 50th NYFF

Le soulier de satin/ The Satin Slipper
(1985) 11/10. Manoel de Oliveira’s 7-hour adaptation of Paul Claudel’s verse drama about unrequited love in the late 16th and/or 17th Centuries. 7 hours! Actually, it turned out to be more like 8 because of intermissions and technical problems (the power point subtitles kept breaking down). It reminded me a lot of Rohmer’s Perceval: obvious sets, elaborate costumes, theatrical acting. At other times it put me in mind of filmed opera, but without the music (the arias being declaimed rather than sung). Speaking of opera, speaking of Perceval, I’m reminded of something else--Hans Jurgen Syberberg’s adaptation of Wagner’s Perceval. Now that was difficult to get through without sleeping.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10963 on: October 01, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »

Oops! I guess I should not have characterized the girl's assets. Sorry!

Do you play Sarcastball?

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10964 on: October 01, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »

Do you play Sarcastball?
Say what?

Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM