Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 07:13:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766938 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10965 on: October 01, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »

Do you play Sarcastball?
Say what?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #10966 on: October 01, 2012, 12:42:34 PM »

Do you play Sarcastball?
Yeah, lets drink c*m!

Stalker (1979)
35mm. Holy shit.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #10967 on: October 02, 2012, 08:47:50 AM »

I saw "Trouble with the Curve" Saturday, thought it was pretty good.  But I always see baseball films and Amy Adams films, and most of Clint's.  Clint was similar character to Gran Torino, he had issues as sole parent of grown-up daughter and of aging, not too dissimilar from what Mrs. Cusser experiences with her own father.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10968 on: October 02, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »

Report from the 50th NYFF

Le soulier de satin/ The Satin Slipper
(1985) 11/10. Manoel de Oliveira’s 7-hour adaptation of Paul Claudel’s verse drama about unrequited love in the late 16th and/or 17th Centuries. 7 hours! Actually, it turned out to be more like 8 because of intermissions and technical problems (the power point subtitles kept breaking down). It reminded me a lot of Rohmer’s Perceval: obvious sets, elaborate costumes, theatrical acting. At other times it put me in mind of filmed opera, but without the music (the arias being declaimed rather than sung). Speaking of opera, speaking of Perceval, I’m reminded of something else--Hans Jurgen Syberberg’s adaptation of Wagner’s Perceval. Now that was difficult to get through without sleeping.
Wow, the whole film is here: http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/video-of-the-day-manoel-de-oliveiras-the-satin-slipper-1985

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10969 on: October 03, 2012, 07:22:18 AM »

The Song Remains The Same (1976) - 7/10. In 1973 Led Zeppelin played Madison Square Gardens for three nights and then were robbed of their gate receipts. Oh well, at least they shot a lot of great footage of what seems to have been some great shows. Too bad they couldn't just put out a film of the performances--the band members decided they needed to lard the proceedings with "fantasy sequences"--Bonham playing a jazz-era gangster, Plant poncing about as a sword-and-sorcery hero, that sort of thing. Gee. Did those guys really think that's what the fans wanted to see? Most of the film, anyway, is from the concerts, and that's why the picture is worthwhile. To my mind, this was Zep in their prime (Houses of the Holy era). The 2007 DVD has solid image and sound, even 4 extra songs on the supplements disc.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011) - 8/10. A doc about Jiro Ono, a man who, for over 60 years, has built up a modest Tokyo sushi stall into a national institution with a 3-star Michelin rating. This film sure made me hungry. Images of succulent Chu-toro, for example, had me smaking my lips. The visits to the fish market were interesting, but what I liked best was the menu planning. Jiro serves three courses, and I learned something about sequencing the fish. Sure, lead with tuna, but save the Uni for part 3, and keep the tamago for the finish. I've been doing it all wrong! I was somewhat aghast, though, by the notable omissions--what, Jiro, no salmon? No hotateHuh? Well, I guess at 30,000 yen minimum I was never going to eat there anyway.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10970 on: October 03, 2012, 09:04:48 AM »

David Lean and His Dedicated Maniacs - Short BBC4 documentary profiling David Lean through a quartet of associates: Norman Spencer, Eddie Fowlie, Peter Newbrook, Micahel Stephenson. It focuses mostly on the epics, showing Lean's obsessive attention to detail in staging and set design. Fowlie is easily the most enjoyable, a vulgar Cockney prop man who spent his later years in Almeria. He published his memoirs shortly before his death last year. These men have nothing but good to say about Lean, though I can't imagine he'd have been fun to work for. Narrated by Nigel Havers.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10971 on: October 03, 2012, 10:13:40 AM »

The Song Remains The Same (1976) - 7/10. In 1973 Led Zeppelin played Madison Square Gardens for three nights and then were robbed of their gate receipts. Oh well, at least they shot a lot of great footage of what seems to have been some great shows. Too bad they couldn't just put out a film of the performances--the band members decided they needed to lard the proceedings with "fantasy sequences"--Bonham playing a jazz-era gangster, Plant poncing about as a sword-and-sorcery hero, that sort of thing. Gee. Did those guys really think that's what the fans wanted to see? Most of the film, anyway, is from the concerts, and that's why the picture is worthwhile. To my mind, this was Zep in their prime (Houses of the Holy era). The 2007 DVD has solid image and sound, even 4 extra songs on the supplements disc.
I'm a die hard Zeppelin fan but can't stand this concert. From what I remember, the 'fantasy sequences' took a hell of a lot away from the concert. Not to mention they weren't good or creative or all. Just sort of...thrown in there.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10972 on: October 03, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »

The Black Stallion (1979) 9/10

The cinematography here was unmotherfuckingbelievable

Of course, we get into predictable melodrama, and quite silly too (everyone's been waiting for this match race forever, and now some newbie is gonna get in on it?  Grin) but this is a beautiful watch.

btw, ten days ago, Mickey Rooney celebrated his 92nd birthday. God bless him  Smiley

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:49:47 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10973 on: October 04, 2012, 09:14:43 AM »

there's a hell of a lot more going on thematically
Maybe, but there's no reason to let that spoil one's enjoyment of the film. Just enjoy the characters, it's as simple as that.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10974 on: October 04, 2012, 09:27:57 AM »

there's a hell of a lot more going on thematically

Maybe, but there's no reason to let that spoil one's enjoyment of the film. Just enjoy the characters, it's as simple as that.

That would make it similar to THERE WILL BE BLOOD.
A great story about two men who each have their own way to get power/freedom. It's not about choice, it's about who they are.
In the background, you have "a hell of a lot more going on thematically", but in the end, it's mainly used to give magnitude to a simple story.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10975 on: October 04, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »

That's an interesting take, and I don't say you're wrong. My question, though, is this: I hated There Will Be Blood but loved The Master. Why would that be? More congenial characters? Better-written characters?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10976 on: October 04, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »

That's an interesting take, and I don't say you're wrong. My question, though, is this: I hated There Will Be Blood but loved The Master. Why would that be? More congenial characters? Better-written characters?

May be both?
I'll think about it once I'll have seen The Master and the chick with the [SPOILER ALERT] enormous knockers.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10977 on: October 04, 2012, 12:30:41 PM »

[SPOILER ALERT] enormous knockers.
Grin

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10978 on: October 05, 2012, 12:21:24 AM »

Lawrence of Arabia - 10/10 - ?th viewing, 1st theatrically. Anything further I'll say in the appropriate thread.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10979 on: October 06, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »

Cobra Verde (1987) I could't stay awake needs a rewatch

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM