Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 05:13:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766756 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10995 on: October 13, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »

Argo (2012) - 8/10. This works pretty well: Ben Affleck plays a CIA ex-fil op tasked with getting 6 Americans out of Tehran in 1979 (based on a true story). Stuffed to the gills with suspense, Alan Arkin and John Goodman put in frequent appearances for comic relief. However, things get prolonged and neadlessly sappy at the end. Affleck has a beard to help him act. Setting and costumes are rendered well. Alexandre Desplat delivers his usual sonic abortion. SPOILER Argo is the name of the phony movie Affleck and company pretend they're making for their cover story. Arkin, the phony producer, when asked at a press event to explain the plot, replies "Argofuckyourself." This becomes a running gag. This is scriptwriting gold, destined to be remembered in the tradition of "We'll always have Paris" and "I'll be back." Can't wait to use it on this board.

Thanks Jenkins. Afro I'll see this ASAP.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10996 on: October 14, 2012, 01:16:14 PM »

The Fallen Idol - 7/10 - In between Carol Reed's two masterpieces he made this odd little thriller. A crime drama from a child's perspective is a fantastic idea, and the early scenes of build-up and adult misunderstanding work marvelously. Unfortunately as there's no crime the drama evaporates in the last half hour.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10997 on: October 14, 2012, 01:27:10 PM »

Jason Bourne Legacy
First half: 8/10
Second half: 3/10

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10998 on: October 14, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »

Jason Bourne Legacy
First half: 8/10
Second half: 3/10

Do you mean the Jeremy Renner thing?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10999 on: October 15, 2012, 12:18:08 AM »

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) 9/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11000 on: October 15, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »

The Fallen Idol - 7/10 - In between Carol Reed's two masterpieces he made this odd little thriller. A crime drama from a child's perspective is a fantastic idea, and the early scenes of build-up and adult misunderstanding work marvelously. Unfortunately as there's no crime the drama evaporates in the last half hour.
Also, as the child actor is insufferable, my interest evaporates in the first 10 minutes.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11001 on: October 15, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974) 10/10

What a great movie.

-- the boy probably knows a little too much for an 11 year old kid (certainly FAR more than I knew at that age), but hey, maybe that's how it is in some cultures

-- it's hilarious seeing Harvey Keitel as a cowboy, with the half Brooklyn, half attempted-cowboy accent  Grin

-- I thought the boy's friends was another boy... until I recognized that it was Jodie Foster. She looks and sounds just like a boy here

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:01:24 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11002 on: October 15, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »

NYFF 50, Final Day:

Richard III (1955) 6/10. First viewing in DCP. Wow, like a Vistavision print restored to its original glory. As Marty says, "Vistavision was the IMAX of its day." Marty was on hand to introduce the film and provide us with nuggets of wisdom such as that. He also told us about his movegoing childhood (who knew?). But anyway--the great man, in the room with me! (He was much shorter than I'd imagined him). As Marty was arguing for the greatness of the film, though, I noticed he couldn't help talking mainly about Henry V. And the reason is obvious: Henry is a great film, and part of the reason it's so great is that it had a long gestation. Olivier gets all the credit for the film, but he actually arrived on the project late, after much of the concept had already been worked out. Now, when it came time to do Richard, 10 years later, Olivier had no more idea of what to do than he had earlier, so Richard is just a rehash of things better done in the first film. Except now in Vistavision. So color and clarity are exemplary; drama and pacing, not so much.

Afterwards I went home and watched the first hour of Stuart Burge's Othello (1965, starring Olivier)--a much better film. But then, it had a real director.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11003 on: October 15, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »

Did you say hi to Marty for us?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11004 on: October 15, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »

Whats his other masterpiece other than 3rd Man?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11005 on: October 15, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »

Did you say hi to Marty for us?
His security detail was pretty thick, so, no. Nothing compared to Denzel's, of course, but they did the job. At the beginning some woman interrupted Marty by pulling off her top and complaining about the city's social services (or something) but she was quickly subdued and taken away. Marty deadpanned: "Shakespeare would've loved it. I mean, really. Ya know, the groundlings?" Not sure what the great man meant, but, like, I was there! In the same room! Did I mention that he was shorter than I'd imagined?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11006 on: October 15, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »

At the beginning some woman interrupted Marty by pulling off her top and complaining about the city's social services (or something) but she was quickly subdued and taken away.

How can anyone complain about New York City's social services? That's like going to Texas and complaining about gun control.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11007 on: October 15, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »

Whats his other masterpiece other than 3rd Man?

Odd Man Out. I may even prefer that to The Third Man.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11008 on: October 15, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »

Did I mention that he was shorter than I'd imagined?

I hope you didn't ask him to get your shine box.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11009 on: October 15, 2012, 03:00:02 PM »

How can anyone complain about New York City's social services? That's like going to Texas and complaining about gun control.
Uh. . . maybe I didn't communicate this well,  but I definitely got the feeling she was a nut.

Pages: 1 ... 732 733 [734] 735 736 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM