Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 11:07:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1838354 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11040 on: October 24, 2012, 06:56:08 AM »

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) 8/10. First Blu-ray viewing of the ultimate car chase movie. There's a vague attempt at a plot--car thieves have to boost a whole bunch of pricey rides for export in a limited amouint of time--but that is little more than an excuse on which to hang the 40 minutes of hot pursuit that ends the film. Viewers are also afforded extensive looks at the roads around Long Beach, Carson, and Torrance, CA. It's a shame this film no longer has its original music, but the effects track seems authentic.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11041 on: October 24, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »

Argo - 7-8/10 - Very enjoyable thriller. Ben Affleck proves again he's a far better director than actor. Very funny first half, suitably intense second hour. Pitch perfect supporting cast with props to Bryan Cranston and Alan Arkin. Worth a look.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11042 on: October 24, 2012, 10:40:43 PM »

Argo - 7-8/10 - Very enjoyable thriller. Ben Affleck proves again he's a far better director than actor. Very funny first half, suitably intense second hour. Pitch perfect supporting cast with props to Bryan Cranston and Alan Arkin. Worth a look.

Just saw the movie tonight, at my favorite AMC on 34th street. It gets a 9/10 in my book.

I disagree with your belief in Affleck as an actor; I think he was wonderful here, as was the rest of the cast. But I am certainly in agreement that this movie was directed spectacularly. I love the documentary-style cinematography, and I cannot possibly say enough good things about the editing. With so many tense moments happening simultaneously in Washington, California, and Tehran, the cutting of these scenes was absolutely brilliant.

I guess you could make the argument that the minor scene at the end with Affleck and his ex-wife and son, was pointless. So many movies throw in a useless family sub-plot, and often it's just to make it seem like there's some sexiness to the movie/and or and maybe get some famous chick's name on the credits (eg. Robin Wright in Moneyball). That certainly wasn't the case here; that scene was rather useless. But anyway, no big deal, it certainly wasn't terrible. When all you can say negatively about a movie is that one small scene was needless, that's a damn good movie  Smiley

I see that the movie currently holds an incredibly high 8.4/10 rating on IMDB.

This will definitely create some Oscar buzz. (Of course, with the Academy's recent decision to nominate 10 films for Best Picture, that nomination has now been rendered meaningless; all it's useful for is to show that any movie that is NOT nominated for that award must be really awful). But I think this movie will make some noise come awards season

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:45:57 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11043 on: October 25, 2012, 04:26:44 AM »

I guess you could make the argument that the minor scene at the end with Affleck and his ex-wife and son, was pointless. So many movies throw in a useless family sub-plot, and often it's just to make it seem like there's some sexiness to the movie/and or and maybe get some famous chick's name on the credits (eg. Robin Wright in Moneyball). That certainly wasn't the case here; that scene was rather useless.

After The Town we can assume mawkishness is Affleck's auteur touch.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11044 on: October 25, 2012, 07:58:33 AM »

After The Town we can assume mawkishness is Affleck's auteur touch.
But which version of The Town are you referring to? The one where Affleck's character lives, or the one where he dies?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11045 on: October 25, 2012, 08:55:28 AM »

But which version of The Town are you referring to? The one where Affleck's character lives, or the one where he dies?

Whichever was in theaters. I really don't think Affleck's death would improve things though, it would just point up the already overbearing Heat similarities.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:08:45 AM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11046 on: October 26, 2012, 01:05:29 PM »

Cloud Atlas: The IMAX Experience (2012) 6/10. A bunch of different stories (but really all the same story, wink, wink) are intercut together. The stories all have characters played by actors who appear in each of the other stories (because no one ever really dies, wink, wink). None of the stories is very interesting by itself, but proceeding as they do, in fits and starts, a certain amount of interest is generated from their overlap. And of course, all the climaxes are arrived at concurrently, so when we get to that part of the film we move from cliffhanger to cliffhanger to cliffhanger. For the record, the stories are: a) a Seafaring Tale b) The Matrix: Re-Asianed c) a lame Star Trek episode d) One Flew Over the Cockney's Nest e) Silkwood meets a Grisham thriller f) a faux E.M. Forster story. The film's attempt at profundity ("We do not belong to ourselves . . . ") is rather embarassing, but you can almost ignore it (except during the distended conclusion). There's a bit of fun during the end credits when each of the central cast members are shown in all their various roles, and you can score yourself to see if you recognized all the actors each time (I missed several). Of course, there's no reason to see this film exept in IMAX; otherwise, the experience won't be suitably . . . immersive.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:11:49 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11047 on: October 28, 2012, 07:23:37 AM »

Deep Red - 9/10 - 2nd viewing. Hitchcock meets Antonioni in Argento's best slasher movie. Lots of stylish gore, bizarre sexual politics and more humor than I remembered. It's a shame the restored 20 minutes aren't in English; it's jarring when occasional scenes slip into Italian.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11048 on: October 28, 2012, 01:10:08 PM »

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) 7/10. First Blu-ray viewing. Ernst Stavro . . . Savalas? That bit of miscasting aside, there's plenty to like in this film--Diana Rigg, George Lazy-Bee, alpine skiing, Diana Rigg, the best score of the series, Diana Rigg. Perhaps it goes on a little too long. Well, character development (Bond's) was on the cards this time, and that always requires extra time.
Savant has a very thorough piece on the film and the blu-ray, here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4017serv.html

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11049 on: October 28, 2012, 04:14:07 PM »

Tomorrow Is Another Day (1951) nice entertaining noir - Director: Felix E. Feist with Ruth Roman and Steve Cochran 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11050 on: October 28, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »

Tomorrow Is Another Day (1951) nice entertaining noir - Director: Felix E. Feist with Ruth Roman and Steve Cochran 7/10

Ruth Roman is a sweetie  Smiley

p.s. it must have been real good if it deserved a capitalized thread title  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11051 on: October 28, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »

Ruth Roman is a sweetie  Smiley

p.s. it must have been real good if it deserved a capitalized thread title  Wink
fixed  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11052 on: October 28, 2012, 07:59:52 PM »

fixed  Afro

hey, I wasn't correcting you! Just commenting. You are the boss; (especially when it comes to noir  Wink)

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11053 on: October 30, 2012, 02:10:22 PM »

clips of Monterey pop audience interspersed which came out the same year, '68.      
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063808/
http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=60011576&trkid=2361637
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063808/fullcredits#cast

it's election medication time.
this movie has the stuff that make
dogs " woof " when they sleep.
richard preyer showed up on the set naked
and shocked shelly winters
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hell to eternity. tough Joe meets tough jap on south seas island
 Afro

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:31:08 PM by sargatanas » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11054 on: October 31, 2012, 08:10:26 AM »

Looper (2012) 5/10. In the end, little more than a re-run of Witness, but with a time-travel gimmick. Apparently, though, the time travelling paradoxes weren't sufficiently interesting, so the filmmakers felt the need to add some gratuitous PK (psycho-kenesis). There's also some creepy violence directed at children that isn't handled well. And what's with casting Willis and then not giving him any funny lines to toss out?

Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM