Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 11:41:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766374 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11070 on: November 07, 2012, 02:01:24 AM »

The Racket (1951) 5/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11071 on: November 08, 2012, 06:30:38 AM »

2 new Fox blu-rays, both war films, both with Jerry Goldsmith scores:

Von Ryan's Express (1965). The transfer of this entertaining film is a big disappointment: colors are muddy, fleshtones are wrong, details are smudged, the image lacks sharpness. The extras, carried over from the DVD are worth having, especially the doc on Goldsmith. Film: 7/10. Blu-ray: 5/10.

Patton (1970). In 2008, Fox first released this on blu-ray, in an edition that has become notorious for its use of digital noise reduction (DNR). Now, four and a half years later, they've finally done right by the title (maybe this means in 2017 we'll get an improved Von Ryan's Express). For home theater this is probably as good as it can get. Film: 10/10. Blu-ray: LoA-worthy.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11072 on: November 08, 2012, 06:35:58 AM »

Once Upon a Time in the West

My first viewing of the blu ray. (I watched the Scorsese Restored version). It looks spectacular.

One thing I noticed: I turned on the commentary track very briefly toward the end, and there is something very wrong with the audio on Frayling's voice; it sounds almost like how a voice would sound on an old cassette tape that was damaged, almost like the voice on a computer or something. I only listened for a minute, so I couldn't tell you whether or not that problem exists on the entire disc. I did listen also for a minute of John Carpenter's commentary, but the audio sounds fine there (actually, can Carpenter's piece even be called a "commentary"?)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:35:29 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11073 on: November 08, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »

A Short Film About Killing
A borderline masterpiece. I had seen it as part of The Decalogue before, but this is my first viewing of the full version. Simple yet thought-provoking, with pitch-perfect music, cinematography, acting, editing, yadda yadda and so on. The last twenty minutes or so is one of the most suspenseful and harrowing sequences in film ever. Why can't Blue be this good?

Kieslowski fans, where do I go next after The Decalogue and Three Colors Trilogy? The guy is a master. Besides Blue.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11074 on: November 08, 2012, 10:06:39 AM »

The 2 films he made before the Decalogue are excellent. Don't know the English titles.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #11075 on: November 08, 2012, 10:16:27 AM »

The Double Life of Veronique.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11076 on: November 08, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »

Chicago Calling (1952) Duryea is down and out of work, an on and off the wagon drunk, and his wife takes his daughter and heads back home to mother leaving  him with the pooch.  A telegram informs him that they got into an auto accident, near Chicago, and Duryea must wait for a phone call informing him as to whether they will live or die. Because his phone bill is un-paid, his phone is disconnected, and he tries to earn, borrow, and even stealing the money to pay the bill schlepping around Bunker Hill LA.

Duryea gives a great performance showing quite a bit of range and its a great tour of Bunker Hill LA. 6-7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11077 on: November 09, 2012, 05:59:50 AM »

Skyfall: The IMAX Experience (2012). Basically, it breaks down like this: Istanbul is exciting; Shanghai is stupid; Macau is stupid and dull; London is stupid, dull, and London ("Oh look, there's Bond in a tube station at rush hour!"); Scotland begins promisingly but goes on waaaaay too long (and right in the middle--about when the helicopter arrives--everything takes on a very cheap video look); the epilogue, with its attempt to yet again re-boot the franchise, is stupid, dull, trite. None of the witty dialogue is witty. The stupid characters, though, do many stupid things. Istanbul, Shanghai, and Scotland look very nice in IMAX. I won't be buying the blu-ray. 4/10.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11078 on: November 09, 2012, 07:47:22 AM »

Even worse than Quantum of Shoelace? Shocked

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11079 on: November 09, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »

Undoubtedly. I gave "Quantum" a 10.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11080 on: November 09, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »

Undoubtedly. I gave "Quantum" a 10.

Which is a nice rating for the worst James Bond since Moonraker, but I'm so totally not criticizing your opinion.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:14:30 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11081 on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »

DJ do you have an old review of Quantum lying around? I'm curious to see your reasoning why it's so good. I definitely think that it's underrated, but nowhere even relatively close to 10 status.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11082 on: November 09, 2012, 10:50:51 AM »

I don't. Anyway, stanton can make the argument better than I:

Pheww, I just got the idea to re-watch Quantum of Solace, and it must be the 5th or 6th time now. And it incredibly gets better with every viewing, being meanwhile a pure watching pleasure in which I can enjoy every pretty second (well nearly every). I'm now easily ready to give it a 10.

It is probably one of the best edited films I have ever seen, and I have seen quite a lot. and the visual beauty of nearly every single shot of the film is just amazing, and the film contains a damn lot of shots. not only the action scenes have a fast editing frequency, also nearly every scene is resolved into fast changing shots from different angles, and it is the editing which doubles the beauty. And it not the showy beauty of films by directors like Ridley Scott or his brother. Not the braggy beauty of the academy award winning films, the hollow beauty of advertisements, no, there lies a deeper beauty in them which is mirrored by the intelligence of the elegant dialogues the inspired acting in which every mimic and every gestic movement seems to be in complete accordance with the story, their inner and outer motives, the film's politics (it has some), the overall narrative flow. Quantum of Solace is a never expected miracle.

The only thing I'd add is that I thought the characters were developed well for a Bond film--I particularly liked the way the relationship played out between Bond and the Giancarlo Giannini guy. I was also very impressed with the score.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11083 on: November 09, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »

Oh yes, the score is indeed pretty good.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11084 on: November 09, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »

I see you rated Skyfall a "5." We're pretty close in our appraisals. What a disappointment.

Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM