Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 09:16:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830255 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #11100 on: November 13, 2012, 06:55:05 AM »

The Deadly Trackers.  The one with  Rod Taylor, Neville Brand, William Smith, Richard Harris.  Believe it was non-spaghetti, early 1970s.

Taylor was one mean SOB, Brand and Smith were actors in the Laredo show.  Taylor's character was named Brand.  Anyway, sheriff goes after a bunch of bank robbers/sadists who robbed bank in his town, killed his son (a Timmy McBain look-alike) and his wife (sheriff's - not little Timmy's wife !!!).  Rate 4 or 5 out of 10.

Sheriff Harris didn't like to use guns, Brand had lost his hand in a train accident so had a piece of train rail instead to whack people with, Smith played a grown-up sadistic idiot called Schoolboy, and there was a black guy that Rod Taylor constantly berated.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11101 on: November 13, 2012, 08:19:42 PM »

New Orleans Uncensored (1955) Beverly Garland & Helen Stanton are knockouts 6-7/10 nice New Orleans locations - story average and Vice Raid (1960) 6/10 Mamie Van Doren - Richard Coogan - Brad Dexter - tepid Crackdown On Call-Girl Racket! - Van Doren is a tad too Rubenesque her kid sister Carol Nugent is hotter  

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:21:22 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11102 on: November 13, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »

La legge (original title)The Law (1959) Director: Jules Dassin Stars: Gina Lollobrigida, Pierre Brasseur and Marcello Mastroianni - Storyline IMDb
Marietta, servant of aristocrat Don Cesare, is the bellezza of an Italian town where men gather nightly in the tavern for the 'game of the Law,' selecting one by lot to boss and humiliate the others. Illicit passions abound: the judge's wife pursues Francesco, son of crime boss Matteo, who is after Marietta (so is her brother-in-law); Marietta wants engineer Enrico for a husband, but he claims he's too poor to marry. So she decides to steal herself a dowry! Lollobrigida is stunning 7/10

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:39:14 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11103 on: November 14, 2012, 12:27:11 AM »

Went to the AMC 42nd Street last night, got  a ticket for pretty much the only movie playing at the time, called A Secret Affair. It is officially the worst movie of all-time, bar none. Period. I walked out after 15 minutes, and I am absolutely certain it's the worst movie ever. Every line stated by ever actor sounds just like it's being read off a script. It was painful.

Switched my ticket for Alex Cross. Slept through parts of the first half, but I think can surmise that it's a nothing special cop thriller. Neither Tyler Perry nor Edward Burns are much good as the cops, the one good thing is Matthew Fox as a psychotic killer.

They say you always remember the best and the worst, and I am certain I will never forget the 15 minutes I spent watching A Secret Affair. I am still traumatized. I am not certain about how distribution/exhibition deals work now, but my understanding is that the the days of theaters being forced to buy blocks of movies -- the bad with the good -- were finished the day the studio system crumbled. Well, if some theater owner actually made the decision to purchase and exhibit A Secret Affair on its own, he should be fired, jailed, tortured, and executed immediately. When I came to the customer service booth to switch my ticket, the agent gave me a knowing smile -- I wasn't the first customer to have left that movie after a few minutes.

-----

This was the first time I was out in a week; I celebrated  my birthday a week late, as I've been volunteering in a storm-ravaged community for the past week, before taking a day off due to sheer exhaustion. Hope to return there today.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:44:42 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11104 on: November 14, 2012, 06:58:01 AM »

La legge (original title)The Law (1959) Director: Jules Dassin Stars: Gina Lollobrigida, Pierre Brasseur and Marcello Mastroianni - Storyline IMDb
Marietta, servant of aristocrat Don Cesare, is the bellezza of an Italian town where men gather nightly in the tavern for the 'game of the Law,' selecting one by lot to boss and humiliate the others. Illicit passions abound: the judge's wife pursues Francesco, son of crime boss Matteo, who is after Marietta (so is her brother-in-law); Marietta wants engineer Enrico for a husband, but he claims he's too poor to marry. So she decides to steal herself a dowry! Lollobrigida is stunning 7/10
This character Lollobrigida was playing didn't make any sense to me until I learned she was supposed to be about 14. Then everything fit.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11105 on: November 14, 2012, 07:31:55 AM »

Empire of the Sun (1987) 9/10. First Blu-ray viewing. One of the few films by Sheissberg I can stand (the other two are Jaws and Close Encounters), this is marred only by the hackneyed contribution of John Williams. There are actually long passages that remain unharmed, but every time the director wants the audience to feel something he cues the heavenly choir. Why can't the guy trust the audience to "get it" without that extra layer of manipulation?  Other than that, though, everything about this picture is great: the re-created Shanghai, the real-life pyrotechnics, the cast of thousandshundreds, John Malkovich's best-ever performance, the lack of CGI, the great photography that looks good even for interiors (something seemingly impossible for Hollywood to currently achieve). And S-berg pulls off his greatest coups, getting a decent performance out of a child actor who has to carry the whole picture (I see from the credits the kid was called Christian Bale. I wonder whatever happened to him?). This has been a great season for filmed epics on Blu: Lawrence, Patton, and now this. I'll certainly be watching Empire again soon, but next time probably with the sound off.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11106 on: November 14, 2012, 08:24:57 AM »

Didn't really care for Empire. It seemed too much like Spielberg "doing" David Lean only with Spielbergian sentimentality crammed in. The flick also seems to be missing large swathes of storyline too which doesn’t help.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11107 on: November 15, 2012, 08:02:36 AM »

Weekend (1967) 4/10. I've never liked this film--it's a single gag repeated endlessly, a gag that isn't all that funny to begin with (Satire without wit--what an innovator, that Godard!). There aren't any characters in the picture, and not much of a plot: a couple go for a weekend drive and have a number of bizarre encounters as civilization falls apart around them. The couple do not resemble anything remotely human--they're just there to be the butt of jokes. Godard could have used cardboard cutout figures to similar effect. Still, with the Criterion sale on at B&N, I couldn't resist picking up the new blu-ray. The film's pleasures are mostly visual: Godard uses color very well, for example. Also, apparently, Raoul Cotard was experimenting with fast film stock that allowed him to shoot with natural light (most of the picture is set outdoors). I don't know if he never used artificial lighting on this film or only used it sparingly, but either way, the results are interesting.

They Live (1988) 7/10. Now this is how you get mileage out of a single joke. Rather than deliver the punchline in the first minute, make the audience wait for it. And while they're waiting, keep them entertained with (are you listening, Jean-Luc?) . . . story and characters! Having characters really helps when it comes time to start milking the gag. For example, Rowdy Roddy Piper doesn't just get one revelation through his magic glasses, he gets several. And the first one isn't even the funniest. Because Piper is playing a rather dim bulb, one of the funniest moments comes when he can't stop telling an alien woman how ugly she looks. She's calling the cops on him, and he's wasting precious time with his harangue, but he just can't help himself. Carpenter essentially re-uses the same joke at the end, to even greater effect. And Carpenter knows enough to leave his audience with a laugh at the end. The film was cheaply made, and the blu-ray makes that obvious, but the film is fun nonetheless.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11108 on: November 17, 2012, 07:23:49 AM »

Didn't really care for Empire. It seemed too much like Spielberg "doing" David Lean only with Spielbergian sentimentality crammed in.
Happily, there is someone on the internet willing to give the film more thought. Quite an interesting analysis of the film is included in this review of the new blu-ray: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Empire-of-the-Sun-Blu-ray/39522/#Review

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11109 on: November 18, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »

Norma Rae (1979) 9/10

Well-deserved Best Actress Oscar for Sally Field.

(From what I've read, union-organizing often involves a tad more dirty work than the movie portrays Wink )
I really liked the camera work here.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11110 on: November 19, 2012, 04:23:59 AM »

The Return of Frank James - 8/10 - Miles better than Jesse James. It's a pretty basic Western plot (Frank seeks revenge for Jesse's death, the railroad's still after Frank) that Fritz Lang makes into something highly entertaining. Beautiful photography, creative action scenes and good acting (even Henry Hull, so annoying in Jesse James). A very well-made genre piece.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11111 on: November 19, 2012, 09:34:01 AM »

Norma Rae (1979) 9/10

Well-deserved Best Actress Oscar for Sally Field.

(From what I've read, union-organizing often involves a tad more dirty work than the movie portrays Wink )
I really liked the camera work here.

Just a few minutes after I watched this, I turned on the news and saw that Hostess (maker of Wonder bread and Twinkies) is liquidating... due to its bakers union refusing to end a strike

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11112 on: November 19, 2012, 09:49:04 AM »

Barrymore (2011) 9/10. In the tradition of Mark Twain Tonight and Give 'Em Hell Harry, Christopher Plummer IS John Barrymore. The conceit of the play is clever: Barrymore is in a near-empty Broadway theater in 1942, rehearsing alone on stage for a hoped-for remounting of Richard III. Off-stage, a prompter, "Frank", feeds lines and cues memories. We, the audience (prospective backers, as it were) get an earful. It's all very entertaining. Plummer/Barrymore does something close to a stand-up routine, interspersed with line readings and reminiscences. Plummer does great impressions, too, of the other Barrymores, Lionel and Ethel, as well as of W.C. Fields, Samuel Goldwyn, Louella Parsons. Plummer doesn't look much like Barrymore, but after the interval (ostensibly a latrine break for Barrymore) he comes back in Shakespearean garb and a false nose. The nose really does the job, and suddenly Plummer really looks the part/parts (Barrymore, as those of you who have seen him in Grand Hotel know, really had a beak). There are some photogrpahic tricks, some ill-advised, some that work well, to introduce some cinematic grammar into a very stagey stage play. These are unnecessary, however. The whole show stands or falls on Plummer's performance, which, as you may guess, is superb. He will undoubtedly get an Oscar nomination for this.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11113 on: November 19, 2012, 10:09:29 AM »

Just a few minutes after I watched this, I turned on the news and saw that Hostess (maker of Wonder bread and Twinkies) is liquidating... due to its bakers union refusing to end a strike

You could blame the union. Or you could blame the company management for bankrupting Hostess, therefore flattening wages and necessitating a strike.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11114 on: November 19, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »

You could blame the union. Or you could blame the company management for bankrupting Hostess
Twice.

No doubt they'll sell off the recipe and the "Twinkees" name, so no one should worry that they'll never have another.

Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM