Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:28:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770895 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11115 on: November 19, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »

You could blame the union. Or you could blame the company management for bankrupting Hostess
Twice.

No doubt they'll sell off the recipe and the "Twinkees" name, so no one should worry that they'll never have another.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11116 on: November 19, 2012, 04:23:08 PM »

I did not blame either party; I'd never offer an opinion on who is to blame (if there is such a thing as "blame" here) without knowing any details about the story.

I was just saying that it was funny that the moment I got done watching the movie, I turned on the news, and that Hostess story was on  Wink

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:39:15 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11117 on: November 19, 2012, 08:29:21 PM »

Lincoln - 8-9/10 - First thoughts are this is Spielberg's best movie in ages. It loses a point or two for occasional Spielbergitis: cloying score, on-the-nose iconography, token black characters to point up Lincoln's righteousness. On the whole though an impressive piece of work, as much about the shameless chicanery of 19th Century politics as Lincoln himself. Daniel Day-Lewis becomes the definitive screen Lincoln (sorry Raymond Massey), getting the voice, mannerisms, long-windedness, sensitivity and quiet wisdom down perfectly. True, Spielberg veers dangerously close to hagiography at times with lots of mythic portraiture and his standing up to extremists on both sides. Yet how righteous is a guy who has an off-the-books gang of fixers, and cheerfully admits his willingness to break the law? Good supporting cast too, with Tommy Lee Jones nearly stealing the movie: he gets at least one quotable quip every time he's onscreen. I might want to see it again for the full flavor.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:33:24 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11118 on: November 19, 2012, 09:36:23 PM »

Lincoln - 8-9/10 - First thoughts are this is Spielberg's best movie in ages. It loses a point or two for occasional Spielbergitis: cloying score, on-the-nose iconography, token black characters to point up Lincoln's righteousness. On the whole though an impressive piece of work, as much about the shameless chicanery of 19th Century politics as Lincoln himself. Daniel Day-Lewis becomes the definitive screen Lincoln (sorry Raymond Massey), getting the voice, mannerisms, long-windedness, sensitivity and quiet wisdom down perfectly. True, Spielberg veers dangerously close to hagiography at times with lots of mythic portraiture and his standing up to extremists on both sides. Yet how righteous is a guy who has an off-the-books gang of fixers, and cheerfully admits his willingness to break the law? Good supporting cast too, with Tommy Lee Jones nearly stealing the movie: he gets at least one quotable quip every time he's onscreen. I might want to see it again for the full flavor.

I saw this on Saturday night but fell asleep through most of it (cuz I was tired, not cuz it was a bad movie); I plan on seeing it again this week  Wink

As for Lincoln breaking the law, it's not all that clear. The area that the Constitution is probably most vague (and which has therefore led to the most debate) is that of presidential powers as commander-in-chief. I'm not going to get into nerdy lawyer talk, but suffice it to say that the vagueness of this area of law has naturally led many wartime presidents into areas that some would deem "within the rightful powers of commander-in-chief," while others would deem "tyranny."  Can it honestly be said to be within the President's powers as commander-in-chief to issue the Emancipation Proclamation -- was that REALLY related to Lincoln's conducting of the war?
 Let's just say that that for almost any act that a president undertakes related to the military, you can call it "unconstitutional" or you could call it "squarely within his powers as commander-in-chief," and make a solid argument either way.

But I'm not in any way disputing that you can make a great argument that Lincoln intentionally broke the law --  the same argument you can make about virtually every wartime president.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 01:23:17 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11119 on: November 20, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »

Daniel Day-Lewis becomes the definitive screen Lincoln (sorry Raymond Massey), getting the voice, mannerisms, long-windedness, sensitivity and quiet wisdom down perfectly.
You have videotape of the historical Lincoln with which to compare? I'm impressed.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11120 on: November 20, 2012, 12:32:46 PM »

Wakka wakka.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11121 on: November 21, 2012, 01:34:58 AM »

Saw the movie tonight; it gets a 7.5/10

140 people were in the theater for the 6:45 PM showing at the Clearview on 62nd & 1st, on the Upper East Side. Not bad for a Tuesday evening.

This movie is all about Day-Lewis. Say all you want about Tommy Lee Jones or Sally Field or anyone else, but Day-Lewis completely dominates this movie, the entire movie pretty much hinges on his performance.

I am sure that all the reviews you read have already gone into great detail to describe the physical characteristics of the way Day-Lewis presents Lincoln (the voice, the inflection, the mannerisms, etc.) so I won't bother getting into that. All I will say RE: Day-Lewis is that his performance was spectacular -- I know this sounds awfully cliche', but when watching this movie, you just feel like you are watching Abraham Lincoln. One of the rare actors that BECOMES THE CHARACTER.

Day-Lewis is a shoo-in for a  Best Actotr Oscar nomimation

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11122 on: November 21, 2012, 03:22:23 AM »

Jules and Jim (1962) Director: François Truffaut Stars: Jeanne Moreau, Oskar Werner and Henri Serre - Imdb Paris, before WWI, two friends, Jules (Austrian) and Jim (French) fall in love with the same woman, Catherine. But Catherine loves and marries Jules. After the war, when they meet again in Germany, Catherine starts to love Jim... This is the story of three people in love, a love which does not affect their friendship, and about how their relationship evolves Nothing to get worked up over - 5/10

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:29:25 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11123 on: November 21, 2012, 04:27:31 AM »

140 people were in the theater for the 6:45 PM showing at the Clearview on 62nd & 1st, on the Upper East Side. Not bad for a Tuesday evening.

Yeah, my theater on Monday night was packed too. I don't understand why it's getting a limited release up till now.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11124 on: November 21, 2012, 08:28:41 AM »

Jules and Jim (1962) Director: François Truffaut Stars: Jeanne Moreau, Oskar Werner and Henri Serre - Imdb Paris, before WWI, two friends, Jules (Austrian) and Jim (French) fall in love with the same woman, Catherine. But Catherine loves and marries Jules. After the war, when they meet again in Germany, Catherine starts to love Jim... This is the story of three people in love, a love which does not affect their friendship, and about how their relationship evolves with the Nothing to get worked up over - 5/10
You are very free with the L-word, CJ. Yes, the characters talk about it too, but their actions undermine the concept. Hence the revealing ending. 8/10.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11125 on: November 21, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »

Yeah, my theater on Monday night was packed too. I don't understand why it's getting a limited release up till now.

according to imdb, the limited release was Nov. 9, and wide release began on Nov. 16 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443272/releaseinfo Of course, I don't know how accurate that is

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11126 on: November 21, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »

Even now it's playing at only 1700 or so theaters. Supposedly it's getting an even broader release this weekend.

Presumably since Lincoln is Oscar bait (albeit very good Oscar bait) they're hoping for word of mouth to generate interest and hence revenue. It's done well on a per theater basis so far. Since they've got a $65,000,000 budget however they may want to kick things into gear sooner rather than later.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11127 on: November 21, 2012, 12:37:51 PM »

Even now it's playing at only 1700 or so theaters. Supposedly it's getting an even broader release this weekend.

Presumably since Lincoln is Oscar bait (albeit very good Oscar bait) they're hoping for word of mouth to generate interest and hence revenue. It's done well on a per theater basis so far. Since they've got a $65,000,000 budget however they may want to kick things into gear sooner rather than later.

How many theaters is considered a "wide release"?

btw, it seemed to me that the picture clarity wasn't as sharp as I've come to expect in the 2012 high definition era. I don't know if that has to do with the theater, or if it was made intentionally that way?

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #11128 on: November 21, 2012, 04:19:17 PM »

Jules and Jim (1962) Director: François Truffaut Stars: Jeanne Moreau, Oskar Werner and Henri Serre - Imdb Paris, before WWI, two friends, Jules (Austrian) and Jim (French) fall in love with the same woman, Catherine. But Catherine loves and marries Jules. After the war, when they meet again in Germany, Catherine starts to love Jim... This is the story of three people in love, a love which does not affect their friendship, and about how their relationship evolves  Nothing to get worked up over - 5/10
I saw it on Monday. Second viewing, on 35mm film. It has a nice drive when Jim shows up at Jules and Catherine's house but overall it's just a big meh. The soundtrack and cinematography have their strong points. The ending is the worst ever.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:29:50 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11129 on: November 22, 2012, 06:20:30 PM »

Gone With the Wind

TCM's series on movie adaptations of famous novels continues.

This is my second viewing of the movie (the first was on my 13" screen laptop  Wink)

Well I found the movie to be almost as excruciating as it was the first time around. A thoroughly detestable protagonist, some silly nonsense about a babe chasing around a married dude for a decade, everybody dying off as it becomes convenient, etc. etc. etc.

The best thing about this movie is Clark Gable's performance; his scenes are actually enjoyable to watch. Maybe I'd have liked the movie more if he was in more of it. There were other good performances to appreciate, but overall, this has to be the most overrated movie ever.

Thankfully, the payoff almost makes it all worthwhile. But they should have ended the movie on that high note "frankly my dear I don't give a damn," rather than that last scene with Leigh and "tomorrow is another day" ...

And Thank God for dvr, so I was able to forward through what seems like half an hour of Overture, Intermission, Etr'acte, and Exit Music.

I won't put myself through this torture ever again. (I just re-watch the final Gable line every once in a while on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLnTWxpTQt4  [just wondering, why does the "Obama Admits he is a Muslim" video come up as the first "related video" to this one on Youtube?])

Hope y'all enjoyed turkey and football (or football and turkey, whichever you prefer)

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 06:21:46 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM