Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 03:37:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766679 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11130 on: November 24, 2012, 01:18:52 PM »

Lawless - 6/10
John Hillcoat ameteur hour compared to The Proposition and The Road. A silly little movie that seems to want to be taken seriously. The digital is distracting, and I think that it's convenience makes Hilcoat a far lazier director.

Looper - 7.5/10
Interesting sci-fi. A bit hard to follow at times for me.

Lincoln - 6.5/10
God bless Spielberg for calming down and not being typical Spielberg. However, the film is plain boring just on principal - it's pretty much 2 1/2 hours of political conversation that ends in what we already know.  It's an incredibly ballsy move for both Spielberg and his writer. That being said, although inevitably boring, the 2 1/2 hours flies by in relation to the subject matter. I think that this is mainly due to some decent dialogue and a great performance by Day-Lewis, who shows that he's even a great actor when his characters aren't constantly yelling (GoNY, TWBB).

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:24:26 PM by rrpower » Logged
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11131 on: November 25, 2012, 03:22:35 AM »

Watched the first 2 episodes of The Walking Dead. Very good so far.

I'm also towards the end of the 4th season of Breaking Bad.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11132 on: November 25, 2012, 02:51:43 PM »

The Life of Pi (2012) 3/10. A shipwrecked Indian youth shares a lifeboat with a CGI Bengal tiger. Or does he? The story, told in flashback, has a certain Rashomon quality to it. The tale must generally be true, but perhaps the details are invented? But why? Surely, the story has some Deep Significance. Or does it? The only thing I'm sure of: the $10 I spent on this turkey won't be coming back to me.

Hitchcock (2012) 4/10. During the production of a famous film, a filmmaking couple has marital and creative difficulties. They reconcile and complete the picture, to great success. Utter rubbish.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11133 on: November 25, 2012, 02:55:21 PM »

Hitchcock (2012) 4/10. During the production of a famous film, a filmmaking couple has marital and creative difficulties. They reconcile and complete the picture, to great success. Utter rubbish.

That good huh?

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11134 on: November 25, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »

There's one good continuing gag about Martin and Lewis comedies that has a great payoff (Paramount flack: "At least we've got Cinderfella for Christmas"), and there's one clever bit near the end where Hitch "plays" the audience, but otherwise, this film is worthless.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11135 on: November 25, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »

Born to be Bad (1950) 7.5/10

Nicholas Ray-directed, romantic drama featuring Joan Fontaine, Robert Ryan, Zachary Scott, Joan Leslie, and Mel Ferrer. Story surrounds a group of San Fransisco society people, and their romantic interests/money/gold-digging, balls and fine art, etc.

All four of the leads are very good: Joan Fontaine is wonderful as always. Robert Ryan plays a good guy here. Zachary Scott -- whom I can't remember ever delivering a bad performance -- is, for a change, not playing a sleaze. Joan Leslie is beautiful, and Mel Ferrer is good as a sleazy painter.

Not a bad way to spend 94 minutes, next time it plays on TCM.

A Kiss Before Dying (1956) 7.5/10

Starring Robert Wagner, Jeffrey Hunter, Virginia Leath, and Joanne Woodward.

In this crime drama, Robert Wagner has a good turn as a college student who feels his life's ambitions are shattered when his girlfriend informs him that she is pregnant. Wagner will stop at nothing to return his life to "normal." He is a very effective cold-hearted dude, and some of the early scenes are amazing. The last third of the movie isn't written nearly as well as the first 2/3 are, so it may feel somewhat disappointing at the end. But there are also some terrific things to appreciate here.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11136 on: November 26, 2012, 02:56:12 AM »

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958) 6/10

Dysfunctional family themes don't interest me all that much. But this movie does benefit from amazing casting: Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor as the leads, and Burl Ives, Jack Carson, and Madeleine Sherwood in supporting roles.

It's obvious that there is a very strong element of homosexuality that was removed for the Production Code. But one thing that's not explained very well is, why does Newman stay with Taylor? He keeps mentioning how he agreed to stay with her under certain "conditions" --ie. basically, they would not be living as a normal couple does -- she loved him so much that she stays with him anyway, in the hope that she can convince him to love her again. But what's not explained is why Newman didn't just throw her out completely? (It can't have anything to do with his parents wanting him to have a family; he has shown very clearly that he doesn't give a damn about what his parents want and is not doing anything for the sake of getting the inheritance).

The scene with Ives and Newman in the cellar does not exist in the play, it was added to the script  for the movie; and IMO, it is by far and away the greatest scene in the movie.

Basically, this is a story that is uninteresting at times, and annoying at others, but the movie is always watchable due to the amazing performances. (Reminds me somewhat of another Taylor movie adopted from a play involving a dysfunctional family: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. I found the material ludicrous, but that movie also has amazing performances all around and never becomes unwatchable; heck, that movie is technically incredible, basically everything is done perfectly but for the ridiculous story).

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11137 on: November 26, 2012, 04:37:13 AM »

The Stalking Moon - 8/10 - An effectively economical Western with a pared down story and cast. Turning a usual siege story into a cat-and-mouse game with one wily Indian is an interesting touch, though most of the deaths and story turns are predictable. The slug fest between Gregory Peck and the villain makes an excellent finale.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11138 on: November 26, 2012, 06:58:31 PM »

JFK (1991) 10/10 (first viewing; it was the blu ray, Director's Cut, 3hrs. 25 mins.)

I don't know anything about the facts of JFK's assassination or Garrison's investigation; all I know is that technically, this movie is a masterpiece.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:11:19 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11139 on: November 27, 2012, 02:21:25 AM »

Gangs of New York (2002) 7/10 (2nd viewing; first time on blu-ray).

The greatest thing about this movie is the performance by Daniel Day-Lewis: how many actors have delivered three performances in the 2000's as great as his in Gangs of New York, There Will Be Blood, and Lincoln?

Secondly, the production design was spectacular.

You could make a good argument that the character of Jenny (played by Cameron Diaz) should have been completely eliminated (or improved upon); I'm not certain if the blame lies with the script, or with Diaz's terrible performance, or both.

This is certainly not in the pantheon of great Scorcese movies

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:22:26 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11140 on: November 27, 2012, 02:31:31 AM »

JFK (1991) 10/10 (first viewing; it was the blu ray, Director's Cut, 3hrs. 25 mins.)

I don't know anything about the facts of JFK's assassination or Garrison's investigation; all I know is that technically, this movie is a masterpiece.

Great film apart from the terrible and sentimental speech at the end. Stone was a fantastic director then.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11141 on: November 27, 2012, 03:43:37 AM »

The Blue Gardenia (1953) 7/10 There is one shot of Raymond Burr when he's sitting on a desk sketching where his shoulders look like they stretch about 12" either side of his head, lol, he looks just enormous. Anne Baxter is really convincing playing a tipsy woman.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 03:57:35 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11142 on: November 27, 2012, 04:20:36 AM »

Gangs of New York (2002) 7/10 (2nd viewing; first time on blu-ray).

The greatest thing about this movie is the performance by Daniel Day-Lewis: how many actors have delivered three performances in the 2000's as great as his in Gangs of New York, There Will Be Blood, and Lincoln?

Secondly, the production design was spectacular.

You could make a good argument that the character of Jenny (played by Cameron Diaz) should have been completely eliminated (or improved upon); I'm not certain if the blame lies with the script, or with Diaz's terrible performance, or both.

This is certainly not in the pantheon of great Scorcese movies

I won't even grant it that. Day-Lewis is okay but the character is beyond over-the-top. Despite the interesting story the movie is too awkwardly structured and self-consciously flashy. It doesn't fit the setting at all.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11143 on: November 27, 2012, 04:44:57 AM »

Viva Zapata! (1952) 7/10; Blu-ray transfer: 9/10. The rise and fall of a Mexican revolutionary. The story is no great shakes, and the performances are merely adequate (Brando has all his scenes stolen by his prosthetic nose). Where this film really shines is in the photography. Not at the level of, say,Clementine, nonetheless, many of Joe MacDonald's signature shots are here (especially the big-head-in-the-foreground trick). The blu-ray shows this work to advantage. Oddly, the first 10 minutes of the transfer seemed off to me, but then everything looked great from that point on. This is part of the Kazan At Fox 2 boxset, not available singly, and currently a Fox Connect online exclusive.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11144 on: November 27, 2012, 06:37:38 AM »

Great film apart from the terrible and sentimental speech at the end. Stone was a fantastic director then.

well that speech is really the basis of the movie, it provides the theme. I actually liked the speech; the only quibble I had with that is Costner's cadence/delivery in that speech, he basically speaks in a monotone throughout (possibly the result of recording one line at a time?)

Of course, as a procedural matter, it's pure bullshit, because Garrison the movie basically mixes the evidence with a closing argument! Costner first starts with discussing evidence -- I don't remember if it's while he is discussing the video, or making the demonstration about the "magic bullet," but the point is that it begins while he is discussing evidence, but then he delves into that long speech about his goals and desires and aspirations etc., which have nothing whatsoever to do with evidence; that speech would never be allowed until closing arguments! So you can argue that the movie should have made that clear, that the speech was during his closing argument, rather than having it as one long uninterrupted speech that began during presentation of evidence; I don't know if that problem was with the editing, or if the script intended it that way.

But that's a technical matter, which probably wouldn't be picked up by anyone but a lawyer; I don't have a problem with the way it was presented here. Substantively, I really liked that speech, that summed up why Garrison was doing all that work, and what Stone's true goals were in making the movie: not to necessarily present this or that specific conspiracy theory, but just to make a general point that the official version of events have been nothing but lies, and that we have to demand the truth from our government, if we are going to live in a just world.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:11:05 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 741 742 [743] 744 745 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM