Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 09:07:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1761073 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11160 on: November 29, 2012, 09:07:12 AM »

Uh . . . yuck.

The whole point of the story is that Christie's initial expectations of love are unrealistic. Therefore, she rejects Bates's offer. Therefore, she plays head games with Peter Finch. Therefore, she has her disastrous fling with Terrence Stamp.

Meanwhile, Bates stays near her, watching out for her interests. His love is silent, but it expresses itself through many deeds. The audience notices--how can Christie not? We don't need to be shown something we can infer. At some point, Christie changes--that change is interior and not demonstrated. Nonetheless, we know it happens. All that remains is a declaration of love from Bates. It comes at the exact moment when she is ready to hear it.

Courting? Nothing says love more than hard work and slavish devotion. Jacob worked 14 years for Rachel (including the seven he put in first to marry her older sister Leah). We don't need to see a scene showing when Jacob and Rachel fell in love--the 14 years is enough.

well, even if we don't literally see the courting, the point is that at least there should be the cinematic moment, that moment where the camera zooms in on her face, and then zooms in on his, etc. , just those 5 seconds, to let us know, something is going on in their minds, in their emotions, (or more specifically, in hers).  During the past few minutes (or past few months in the movie), she's acted no different toward Bates than she has throughout the entire movie. Yes, when someone acts one way for 3 hours and then suddenly makes an about-face at the end, I think the movie should "clue us in," on their thoughts. Not that I can't handle surprises, (or that it even is a surprise that she winds up with Bates), just that I don't feel satisfied if someone suddenly and unexplainedly (now a word) reverses course.

Maybe "far from the madding crowd," Bates is pretty much her last decent chance: if she doesn't take him now, her only chance at ever getting any action again is leaving the country.

and btw, Rachel wanted Jacob all along; the analogy there would be if she had refused him for 6 1/2 years but suddenly said "yes" at the end of 7  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11161 on: November 29, 2012, 09:11:54 AM »

well, even if we don't literally see the courting, the point is that at least there should be the cinematic moment, that moment where the camera zooms in on her face, and then zooms in on his, etc. , just those 5 seconds, to let us know, something is going on in their minds, in their emotions, (or more specifically, in hers). 
This is called bad filmmaking. I'm glad that Schlesinger knew better.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11162 on: November 29, 2012, 09:14:09 AM »

and btw, Rachel wanted Jacob all along;
Chapter and verse, please.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11163 on: November 29, 2012, 09:33:18 AM »

Chapter and verse, please.

Grin well, actually, in those days, a girl just married whomever her father married her off to; it wasn't about her "falling in love." I didn't mean that the Bible itself literally says "Rachel desired Jacob," but my point was that at no point does the Bible state that she initially did not want him, or that she "grew to love him because she saw his devotion" or anything like that

This story is written in Genesis, Chapter 29, from verses 1-30.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:40:17 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11164 on: November 29, 2012, 10:18:07 AM »

Mystic River (2003) 10/10 (blu ray, first time viewing of the movie).

This may well be the greatest movie of the millenium and the greatest movie Eastwood ever directed. Has a movie ever done a better job of portraying grief?

I don't know if the final parade scene was necessary; or the very minor subplot with Bacon's wife (I guess that's an attempt to show how he was also somehow emotionally affected by that day as a child). But otherwise, this movie is about as perfect as it gets. And the blu ray looks beautiful.

Afro Afro Afro

The parade scene works for me. Everybody is at his/her new place.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11165 on: November 29, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »

Grin well, actually, in those days, a girl just married whomever her father married her off to; it wasn't about her "falling in love." I didn't mean that the Bible itself literally says "Rachel desired Jacob," but my point was that at no point does the Bible state that she initially did not want him, or that she "grew to love him because she saw his devotion" or anything like that
And my point was that for years one way a man demonstrated his worthiness for a bride was by working for her. And Gabriel does that (note, biblical name!). And Bathsheba must have recognized that (note, biblical name!). Gee, do you think maybe Hardy was getting at something by NOT giving us "close-ups" of meaningful looks between the characters?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11166 on: November 29, 2012, 01:23:29 PM »

Afro Afro Afro

The parade scene works for me. Everybody is at his/her new place.

I just watched some of the bonus features:

The author of the book mentions that when he saw the first draft of the script, it did not have that final scene between Penn and Linney (where she tells him that no matter what he had to do, he was right...) and he told the scriptwriter that that scene is the whole story!

The author also mentioned how the 3 guys have 3 types of marriage, and the most healthy marriage (Penn-Linney) is actually the most evil one; while what is seemingly the most good and decent marriage (Robbins-Harden) falls apart due to mistrust.

Kevin Bacon says that he asked Eastwood the meaning of that little finger-gun he points at Penn across the parade: is it supposed to mean, "I'll nail you for this one," or "Your secret is safe with me?" Eastwood's response: "Let the audience decide that."  Smiley

And finally, I forgot to mention the most important take-away from the movie: that chick who plays Bacon's wife has a fine mustache. It's fucking enormous. And doubly noticeable inasmuch as her appearances in the movie are almost entirely closeups of the lower half of her face. This ain't just someone who's a day late for a waxing: that is a fucking 'stache  Evil

-------------------------

RE: the ending of Mystic River

At first, when Brendan accuses his brother"you loved me so much you killed my girlfriend," I thought the brother killed her cuz he knew she was taking Brendan away from him, as they were gonna run away to Vegas. But as Bacon described it to Penn, it was all an accident, he was just trying to scare the girl, etc/? Really? Was Bacon intentionally distorting the truth for Penn's sake?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:36:18 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11167 on: November 29, 2012, 01:38:53 PM »

Haha actually I think it's more the angle/lightening that doesn't help her. It's a close up on her lips the whole film, from profile, the shot is dark and I THINK she's back-lighted (which, alone, would be sufficient in a regular female shot to show "some" facial hair).

But yeah, it strikes me every time:)

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11168 on: November 29, 2012, 01:40:15 PM »

At first, when Brendan accuses his brother"you loved me so much you killed my girlfriend," I thought the brother killed her cuz he knew she was taking Brendan away from him, as they were gonna run away to Vegas. But as Bacon described it to Penn, it was all an accident, he was just trying to scare the girl, etc/? Really? Was Bacon intentionally distorting the truth for Penn's sake?

I always thought he really doesn't get it.

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11169 on: November 29, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »

Haha actually I think it's more the angle/lightening that doesn't help her. It's a close up on her lips the whole film, from profile, the shot is dark and I THINK she's back-lighted (which, alone, would be sufficient in a regular female shot to show "some" facial hair).

But yeah, it strikes me every time:)

well that's only if there is some facial hair to show. If there's no hair, then no matter how much back-lighting there is, there's no 'stache.

It was difficult to watch

She's a pretty woman whose work I believe consists almost entirely of either film shorts or minor appearances http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0205581/ How does that happen? Look to the 'stache

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:08:55 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11170 on: November 29, 2012, 01:56:02 PM »

well that's only if there is some facial hair to show. If there's no hair, then no matter how much back-lighting there is, there's no 'stache.

Their is always hair, believe me Wink Usually to little to notice, but with the right light and the right angle you cannot miss them!
However... she still has a damn lot of them, lol.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11171 on: November 30, 2012, 04:28:07 AM »

Picnic at Hanging Rock - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. More interesting on a rewatch, still maddeningly opaque.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11172 on: November 30, 2012, 05:55:02 AM »

Picnic at Hanging Rock - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. More interesting on a rewatch, still maddeningly opaque.
Yep.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11173 on: December 01, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »

Skyfall - 7/10 - Largely more of the same: "realistic" (read: CGI-laden) action interspersed with iffy character development. What elevates this above its predecessors is Javier Bardem: it's about time Craig's Bond gets a decent villain to play off. The scene with 007 and Bardem target shooting feels more Bondish than anything in the past two films. Albert Finney's cameo is a hoot. It loses points though for lazy plotting: after The Dark Knight and The Avengers do we need *another* villain deliberately getting caught? At least it hangs together well and I did like the finale.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11174 on: December 02, 2012, 02:24:14 PM »

The Last Wave - 7/10 - Lawyer Richard Chamberlain defends a quintet of Aboriginal murderers. Somehow this tunes him into his mystical side, resulting in striking visions of floods, tsunamis and hail from cloudless skies. But what does it mean? This film's more interesting in concept than execution: unlike Picnic at Hanging Rock there is a definite supernatural explanation, which is less satisfying. The finale is particularly disappointing; Chamberlain socks a random shaman and falls through a sewer, hallucinates, roll credits. Chamberlain is good, David Gulpilil makes his required appearance. Despite some powerful imagery I don't see myself rewatching this anytime soon.

Pages: 1 ... 743 744 [745] 746 747 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM