Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 04:04:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1761550 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11220 on: December 13, 2012, 06:19:09 AM »

Why are you watching Godard when your tastes obviously run more toward Varda?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11221 on: December 13, 2012, 06:49:55 AM »

Why are you watching Godard when your tastes obviously run more toward Varda?

He obviously needs Jenkinsian wisdom to point him in the right direction.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11222 on: December 13, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »

A few months ago, I saw Breathless/ A bout de Soffle --the first Godard film I'd ever seen, which also happens to be his first film -- and was blown away. (Should I be corny and say "it took my breath away"?) I enthusiastically filled my queue with a bunch of other Godard films, (starting with the ones from the same time period which had high ratings on IMDB).

Since then, I am sorry to say that I have seen three more of his films, one which I found so irritating I shut off halfway through (Pierrot e Fou); another of which had some interesting parts but also some annoying parts, specifically the musical interludes (Contempt/Le Mepris); then last night I saw one that I found completely uninteresting (Vivre Sa Vie). I think VSV had great potential if it had been done as a normal story, rather than using the "chapters," especially with the headings, which tell you all that's about to happen, like it's some sort of poorly-compiled book.

Maybe Godard thought he could do whatever the hell he wanted after the success of Breathless, and that everyone would see his movies no matter what just cuz he was so brilliant. Sure, Breathless was innovative, one of those "they said it couldn't be done this way, but I DID it, and was very successful" jobs; and maybe Godard then thought he had to keep getting more and more "innovative," or "artsy" or whatever you call it. I know these movies must have been very popular cuz they all have solid ratings on IMDB, but I for me, my ow post-Breathless enthusiasm is gone, and I will now be purging Godard from my queue......

........... unless someone can give me some specific recommendations of other Godard films (not comedies) which yo think are really good films AND which use a more conventional story-telling format. None of this cutesy stuff anymore.

His 2nd one The Little Soldier is "conventional" compared to later Godard films. And A Woman Is a Woman (1961) is also very different from the then following Vivre sa vie, but I doubt that you will like it. Godard developed his style in the 60s, and in retrospect Breathless is only Godard light. I doubt that any of his other films had a noteworthy commercial success.
You have watched some of his best, and most of his others are done in a similar style or even much more inaccessible.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11223 on: December 14, 2012, 06:13:09 AM »

Le Mépris did well I think. It's one of his most conventional ones too.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11224 on: December 14, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »

It's one of his most conventional ones too.

Not really. Maybe compared to Le chinoise.

According to my informations Le mepris was a flop.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11225 on: December 14, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »

Godard developed his style in the 60s, and in retrospect Breathless is only Godard light.
It's also Godard mixed: Truffaut wrote the underlying story. Maybe it's the Truffautian elements that Drink is most responding to. In that case, he needs to watch Shoot the Piano Player, The Bride Wore Black, and Mississippi Mermaid.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11226 on: December 14, 2012, 01:09:07 PM »

Le Mepris is pretty conventional. There is one interlude where the husband and wife read some shit sort of like the guy and girl do throughout Pieroot Le Fou; otherwise, Le Mepris is a pretty conventional style. I just didn't think it was that great a movie (although certainly better than Pierrot Le Fou or Vivre Se Vie)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11227 on: December 14, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »

Nah, it is not, much too slow and introspective.

Godard had to do some compromises, but in the end he still did not deliver what the producer had expected. Absolutely not.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11228 on: December 14, 2012, 07:15:58 PM »

Any Godard lover on the board? At least from the pre-90's period?

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11229 on: December 14, 2012, 07:30:50 PM »

Hangover Square 7/10 noirish turn of the century London thriller Darnell looks her best here in this, alongside her turn in Fallen Angel

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #11230 on: December 14, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »

Any Godard lover on the board? At least from the pre-90's period?
I think Jenkins is, judging from his words of disregard. He is known to express his appreciation through words of disregard.

I like some of his films and find the dude himself rather interesting but I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a fan. I actually liked Notre Musique quite a bit and am interested to see Histoire(s) du cinéma . Does anyone else have an appetite for his later works? (Prénom Carmen was the first film from him that I saw, and I hated it.)

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11231 on: December 15, 2012, 01:48:04 AM »

It is if you want to demonstrate that SL was a bullshitter.

I think Jenkins is, judging from his words of disregard. He is known to express his appreciation through words of disregard.

What do you mean?

I like some of his early stuff but hate the guy (and most of his work). I read somewhere a statement that is very true: Godard knows how to make nice poems in the form of refreshing patchworks. It would be great if he was happy with that. Unfortunately, he thinks he's a sociologist and a philosopher (and is NOT).

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11232 on: December 15, 2012, 02:30:03 AM »

I read somewhere a statement that is very true: Godard knows how to make nice poems in the form of refreshing patchworks. It would be great if he was happy with that. Unfortunately, he thinks he's a sociologist and a philosopher (and is NOT).

Other people have a different opinion about this.
His work from 1980 (in which he made his second first film) up to 1985 is as good as his 60s films.  After Detective (a 9/10er) I lost interest.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11233 on: December 15, 2012, 02:15:12 PM »

I like individual films by Godard, but I'm not all that keen on Godard's project as a whole. I think the film that best expresses his approach is Vivre sa vie, and it's my favorite. I also like Le Mepris because it's in scope and has a pretty solid story, but it's too long; the characters should get to Capri much sooner. There are moments of pleasing whimsy in A Woman is a Woman, A Married Woman, Band of Outsiders, Masculin/Feminin, Alphaville, and Weekend, but I don't think any of them work as complete films. Of his later work I haven't seen much, but I'm fond of Godard's Passion.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11234 on: December 15, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »

Why haven't any of you mentioned Breathless/ A bout de souffle? That is an AWESOME movie, plain and simple. Rates somewhere between a 9-10/10. Terrific performances by Belmondo and the beautiful Seberg. Interestingly enough, one of the things that movie is most famous for is the jump cuts, and that's the one thing that annoyed me a little about the movie (and I didn't love Belmondo breaking the 4th Wall during his opening drive in the car). So I guess that just goes to show that I am not much of a fan of artsy shit.

I did LOVE that long scene between Belmondo and Seberg in her hotel room, that was terrific, which he obviously was copying (or "referencing") in Pierre Le fou and Le Mepris). But I don't think that scene works nearly as well in Le Mepris. Also, I didn't like the musical interludes of Le Mepris, nor did I like that one monologue interlude, of the sort that are done repeatedly in Pierre Le Fout.

I did like the parts of Le Mepris with Jack Palance and Fritz Lang

So I guess it's pretty clear that I am not much of a fan of Godard's cutesy artsy shit.

So maybe I will turn my attention back to Truffaut now. I LOVED his movie The 400 Blows (even more than I loved Godard's Breathless), but haven't seen any Truffauts since. Right up near the top of my Netflix queue are the other 4 movies with Jean-Pierre Leaud as "Antonie Doinel," so I will be watching those fairly soon.

Besides the Antoine Doinel movies, what other Truffauts should be in my queue?

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 09:07:50 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM