Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 10:13:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1758729 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11235 on: December 15, 2012, 06:30:04 PM »

Breathless is an excellent flick.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11236 on: December 15, 2012, 07:19:50 PM »

Besides the Antoine Doinel movies, what other Truffauts should be i my queue?
If you actually read what other people post you would have seen that I've already made 3 suggestions.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11237 on: December 15, 2012, 09:11:31 PM »

If you actually read what other people post you would have seen that I've already made 3 suggestions.

I do read everyone else's posts, and i saw the last post you made on p. 749 of this thread, but I thought that those 3 movies you recommended were Godard movies, -- cuz I had just previously asked for recommendation of non-artsy Godard films; so I thought your comment about "Godard films with Truffautian elements" was referring to those 3 as well; I didn't realize those 3 were actually Truffaut movies. Anyway, I will definitely queue those up, thanks  Afro

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:13:39 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11238 on: December 16, 2012, 02:19:57 AM »

My favourite Truffaut is The Wild Child.

The American Night (English title is maybe Day for Night, but the original title, which means the same, is more telling) and The Last Metro are probably two more for D&D.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:23:24 AM by stanton » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11239 on: December 16, 2012, 03:18:21 AM »

My favourite Truffaut is The Wild Child.

The American Night (English title is maybe Day for Night, but the original title, which means the same, is more telling) and The Last Metro are probably two more for D&D.

Thanks. I see that Day for Night is categorized (on both IMDB and Netflix) as Drama and Comedy. Is it actually a "dramedy" or is really one or the other?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11240 on: December 16, 2012, 03:24:48 AM »

Frankly said it is neither a drama nor a comedy. At least surely no comedy. Truffaut has made no real comedies, but some of his films contain scenes which are funny. Real life humour so to say. Like the Antoine Doinel films.

Jules and Jim should also be mentioned, as it is often called Truffaut's best one.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11241 on: December 16, 2012, 05:09:29 AM »

Frankly said it is neither a drama nor a comedy. At least surely no comedy. Truffaut has made no real comedies, but some of his films contain scenes which are funny. Real life humour so to say. Like the Antoine Doinel films.

Jules and Jim should also be mentioned, as it is often called Truffaut's best one.

Yeah, Dramas can certainly have lots of funny scenes and not be considered a Comedy. I'm glad you told me this cuz I don't have any interest in Comedies, but i will put this one in my queue

speaking of classic French cinema: I just noticed that Film Forum in NYC is showing Jean-Pierre Trintignant movies all week. I may wanna check some of these out http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/trintignant#nowplaying

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:17:19 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11242 on: December 16, 2012, 06:33:30 AM »

You have already missed The Great Silence, in case you haven't watched it yet. One of the best SWs. One which rivals the ones by Leone.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11243 on: December 16, 2012, 06:42:44 AM »

Watched Rankin & Bass specials Santa Claus Is Coming to Town and The Year Without a Santa Claus last night.

I'd seen the former years ago and didn't get much out of it last night. It seemed like they were trying too hard to be different, with annoying Peter Max-style animation during the musical numbers and a story that went nowhere. The songs made my ears bleed which didn't help. Paul Frees as Burgermeister Meisterburger was the saving grace. Probably my least favorite R&B Christmas show.

Year Without a Santa Claus is better despite its silliness. Santa is too sick to do his Christmas run yet has no problem gallivanting about after comic relief elves? Mrs. Claus's life dream is to cross dress? Still, it was amusing enough and I liked reading the film as a Cold War allegory, with Mrs. Claus performing triangular diplomacy between the Heat and Snow Misers. I enjoyed seeing the Snow Miser song in its proper context after encountering it via Batman and Robin.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11244 on: December 16, 2012, 06:43:07 AM »

You have already missed The Great Silence, in case you haven't watched it yet. One of the best SWs. One which rivals the ones by Leone.

Nah.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11245 on: December 16, 2012, 07:00:55 AM »

Well it does.
There are many which prefer Corbucci in general to Leone.

I prefer TGS and The Mercenary to every Leone except GBU and OUTW, which then are way above those 2 Corbuccis. Django and Comapneros have some brilliant material, but also some big flaws. But I prefer them (maybe) to DYS, which has its share of flaws too.

Corbucci could have become a great director, but it seems he did not care. He was extremely talented, and he had the guts to risk a lot. But only for a too short period. Later many of his films are incredibly bad and mostly totally forgettable.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11246 on: December 16, 2012, 07:27:46 AM »

There are many which prefer Corbucci in general to Leone.
There may even be those who prefer ground glass in their eyes to Visene. Such people are called id-id-idiots. Why need we talk about them here, in this cyberhall of enlightened thinking?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11247 on: December 16, 2012, 07:40:54 AM »

Corbucchi is to Leone as Budweiser is to Château Margaux. That the former can be refreshing when in the right mood does not make it superior or equal to the latter.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11248 on: December 16, 2012, 07:59:14 AM »

The Pawnbroker - 8/10 - Rod Steiger plays a Holocaust survivor living in NYC who divests himself of all human emotion. This comes back to bite him in more ways than one. Relentlessly grim, perhaps excessively so; it ultimately feels like being pounded with a bag of door knobs. Sidney Lumet's flashiest film, all brooding shadows and New Wave-inspired shock cuts, plus Quincy Jones score. Steiger gives a remarkably restrained performance; no toothmarks in scenery here. Lots of interesting supporting actors including Brock Peters, Jaime Sanchez, Juano Hernandez and Raymond St. Jacques.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11249 on: December 16, 2012, 08:29:17 AM »

The Pawnbroker - 8/10 - Rod Steiger plays a Holocaust survivor living in NYC who divests himself of all human emotion. This comes back to bite him in more ways than one. Relentlessly grim, perhaps excessively so; it ultimately feels like being pounded with a bag of door knobs. Sidney Lumet's flashiest film, all brooding shadows and New Wave-inspired shock cuts, plus Quincy Jones score. Steiger gives a remarkably restrained performance; no toothmarks in scenery here. Lots of interesting supporting actors including Brock Peters, Jaime Sanchez, Juano Hernandez and Raymond St. Jacques.

Great performance by Steiger.

I believe this was the first movie that featured tits and the Production Code's seal of approval.

Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM