Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 03:17:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770723 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11310 on: December 24, 2012, 02:05:45 PM »

"Now that vacation is finally here...."

"Now that it's the weekend...."

"Now that Christmas week is here...."

movies every free moment, eh dj?  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11311 on: December 24, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »

And your point is?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11312 on: December 24, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »

I'll agree with you on Khartoum. It desperately wants to ape Lawrence of Arabia but fumbles the ball; lots of nice spectacle (I remember enjoying the score too) but dramatically flat. It takes forever to get going (the first 10-15 minutes of exposition is deadly) and forgets to give Gordon a strong motivation or personality to drive the plot. A real sticking point too was the godawful narration at beginning and the end. "A world with no room for the Gordons, is a world that will return to the sands." What the hell does that mean?

Heston is all right. His accent sucks but he was born playing a larger-than-life figure like Gordon. Olivier is embarrassing indeed. Richard Johnson stiff as a board. I thought Nigel Green as Garnet Wolseley (the Very Model of a Modern Major General) perfect casting but he's hardly in the film.

What makes this a real shame though is that Gordon is such an incredible figure, and the story of the Mahdist Wars so compelling, that by all rights this should be a great movie. Maybe Lean or heck, someone like Robert Wise or J. Lee Thompson could have gotten a lot more out of it. Or at least a half-decent script.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11313 on: December 26, 2012, 12:40:21 AM »

Once Upon a Time in America - 10/10
Never will there ever, ever, ever, ever be a greater film. Ever.

Django Unchained - 6.5/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11314 on: December 27, 2012, 03:13:00 AM »

Life of Pi (2012) 8.5/10

This is the first time I've ever seen a movie in 3D, and I absolutely loved it. I said to myself, "I don't know if everyone uses 3D this well, but this movie uses it extremely well."  Well guess what -- I just read  Roger Ebert's review of the movie, and he says that this movie has the greatest use of 3D he has ever seen! Ebert's review is here http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121120/REVIEWS/121129995

Ebert's interview with director Ang Lee is here http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121117/PEOPLE/121119978

Almost all the scenes with the animals are CGI, and it is absolutely incredible how real it all looks. You KNOW it is CGI, but it looks simply perfect. (As discussed in this interview: there are a total of 27 shots of real tigers -- 4 different tigers were used -- in this movie. But most of the animal stuff is CGI. And of course, I am sure that there's plenty of other CGI.

(I just wonder if that whole part  at the end was necessary, where Pi gives 2 versions of the story, there's a question over which will be believed, etc. I don't know how much that adds). Anyway this movie was terrific.  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #11315 on: December 27, 2012, 02:30:49 PM »

Les MisÚrables (2012) - 9/10

Much better than I expected. I'm a fan of both the book and the musical, so I squeed at every little "book" thing that came as a plus. And thank the gods, Russell Crowe can sing. He's not Philip Quast but he's good. It was by biggest corcern as I'm a Javert fan.

It's definitely worth watching, epic, dramatic and you will have feels. A lot of them.

Oscar for Hathaway!

"Does this unit have a soul?"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11316 on: December 27, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »

Django Unchained (2012) 6/10.
The pros: QT still has a flair for dialogue. What his characters say has always been more interesting than what they do. Of course, he writes 21st Century dialogue, there are no concessions to speech patterns of 1858, the year in which the film is set, but I knew the score when I bought my ticket. Christoph Waltz was, of course, wonderful. Lenny DC3PO, for a change, didn't suck.
The cons: The death of Sally Menke takes its toll. For the amount of story, this film goes on way too looooooong. It may be necessary for Quint to get in a Jim Croce song (he needs something from the 70s in every film), but do we need two verses worth? Verse and chorus would have been enough, and we could have skipped the scenic vistas (which we've all seen before). Why does it take so long to get to Candie's manor house? Once there, why does it take so long for the action to come to a head? QT no longer has anyone to make him tighten up his plotting (the decision not to use Godardian chapter headings was also a mistake--they usually help propel things along). Other problems are less egregious, but vex me none-the-less. Why does Quint insist on making an appearance in the film, only to do an embarassingly bad Australian accent? And talk about underwritten parts: I was embarassed for Kerry Washington, who had nothing to do and no lines of consequence to utter. She may be a very talented actress--there's no way to know based on what we see here. Aside from being the object of the quest, her character is superfluous (there are no significant female roles in the picture--AGAIN!) [QT fans, don't bother me with promises about what will be in the Extended Cut on DVD--if 165 minutes isn't enough time to limn the principals, then the filmmaker is incompetent]. Finally, QT's technique has devolved to this: long talky scenes are punctuated by sudden acts of extreme violence. These violent bits are supposed to take us by surprise, and they do at first, but when it becomes clear that QT is just going to play this trick over and over it ceases to be surprising. And without the element of surprise, what is it, exactly, that QT has for us? Well, he's got the "N" word, which, if you stay to the end of the closing credits, you'll realize is the final word in the film.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11317 on: December 27, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »

Finally, QT's technique has devolved to this: long talky scenes are punctuated by sudden acts of extreme violence. These violent bits are supposed to take us by surprise, and they do at first, but when it becomes clear that QT is just going to play this trick over and over it ceases to be surprising. And without the element of surprise, what is it, exactly, that QT has for us?

I would say roughly the same thing about Inglourious Basterds, but then I recall you enjoying that one. I'll be seeing this tomorrow to make up my own mind.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11318 on: December 27, 2012, 04:26:50 PM »

I would say roughly the same thing about Inglourious Basterds, but then I recall you enjoying that one.
The technique was fresher then and I was still capable of being surprised. Also, QT's use of the tropes WWII films--and the subversion of those tropes--worked well. There had always been an unwritten rule that, no matter how fantastic you made the exploits of a band of fighters, you wouldn't violate what was known of the larger historical context in which they operated. QT decided to break that rule with a vengence, and it paid off. But there's no way to top it, no way to follow up with something even more surprising. SPOILER At one point I thought Django Unchained might end with a slave rebellion, thus obviating the need for the Civil War.END SPOILER But even if QT had gone that route it wouldn't have helped things--after Basterds, there can be no more true surprises in QT's cinema. Well, surprise is half his schtick. He needs to find something else he can do.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11319 on: December 27, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »

Metropolitan (1990) 10/10. Whit Stillman wrote and directed this very "whitty" Christmas favorite. The cast of unknowns provide performances that are mercifully free of the McActing techniques in more mainstream films.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11320 on: December 28, 2012, 09:39:30 AM »

Two Lane Blacktop(1971) 9/10. Wow, Hellman actually just filmed Rudy Wurlitzer's screenplay, didn't he? Those were the days!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11321 on: December 28, 2012, 01:30:10 PM »

Black Widow (1954) 8/10

A love-and-murder mystery with a terrific cast.

I guess it must be Ginger Rogers day at TCM, cuz I saw two movies she was in, and those are the first 2 movies I have ever seen of her. And I am mighty glad I discovered her: she was a very pretty woman as well as a terrific actress  Afro Afro

My one problem here is that this movie breaks the Golden Rule of flashbacks: a flashback can never lie. If someone is saying a lie, then just have that person speak; if you show it in a flashback, it must be true. (Of course, different flashbacks can be shown from different angles to reveal how some things seem different depending on the angle -- a technique used amazingly in High Crimes (2002)--, but a flashback can never lie. I'm not saying no movie has ever shown a lying flashback, but doing so is wrong.

In Black Widow, at least one of the flashbacks are revealed to be a lie:

SPOILER ALERT

When Ginger Rogers says she came to Van Heflin's apartment and heard him struggling with the girl, and they show that in flashback, of course, that's revealed to be untrue a minute later, when we find out the truth about who killed the girl.
That little lie by Ginger Rogers should not have been shown in a flashback.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:10:40 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11322 on: December 28, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »

Django Unchained - 5/10 - I don't see what substantive criticism I can add, as Drink and DJ hit most of the points I'd make - especially Jenkins' comments re: familiarity. I'd be harsher in a few respects: I thought the dialogue tedious and over-arch (Christoph Waltz too readily falling back on Hans Landa schtick), the music choices unusually uninspired. Mostly though it's too self-indulgent and languorous. Tarantino has never been a subtle or lean filmmaker but this movie just goes on and on and on without discernible point. At his best Tarantino can be really absorptive and funny (Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, some bits of Basterds); at his worst, he can be aggressively repulsive (Kill Bill Vol. 2). Django mostly inspired indifference, something I never thought I'd get from a Tarantino film. Okay, I hated DiCaprio's clown performance and QT's Aussie accent. That's as strong as it got.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11323 on: December 29, 2012, 04:41:07 AM »

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)  about what I expected, saw it in 2D, all the books and your imagination are always better  Wink 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Desperado
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #11324 on: December 29, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey a weak 8/10.
Had really low expectations so were kind of suprised

Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM