Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:47:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770020 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11325 on: December 29, 2012, 08:21:57 PM »

Drive (2011) entertaining with style, my only complaint was the soundtrack drowned out some of the dialog in spots. 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11326 on: December 29, 2012, 09:01:05 PM »

Drive (2011) entertaining with style, my only complaint was the soundtrack drowned out some of the dialog in spots. 8/10

i didn't like the soundtrack. Otherwise, it was a good movie save for the one riduculous line the driver says at the end which we must have spent a week discussing here (some nonsense like "meeting you was the best thing that happened to me....) I agree with the 8/10 rating  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11327 on: December 30, 2012, 04:23:08 AM »

Went to the AMC 42nd Street last night, got  a ticket for pretty much the only movie playing at the time, called A Secret Affair. It is officially the worst movie of all-time, bar none. Period. I walked out after 15 minutes, and I am absolutely certain it's the worst movie ever. Every line stated by ever actor sounds just like it's being read off a script. It was painful.

They say you always remember the best and the worst, and I am certain I will never forget the 15 minutes I spent watching A Secret Affair. I am still traumatized. I am not certain about how distribution/exhibition deals work now, but my understanding is that the the days of theaters being forced to buy blocks of movies -- the bad with the good -- were finished the day the studio system crumbled. Well, if some theater owner actually made the decision to purchase and exhibit A Secret Affair on its own, he should be fired, jailed, tortured, and executed immediately. When I came to the customer service booth to switch my ticket, the agent gave me a knowing smile -- I wasn't the first customer to have left that movie after a few minutes.

So I was just looking through IMDB and for the hell of it, glanced at this movie's IMDB page http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2420176/ and was very pleased to see that it currently holds a 2.7/10 rating (only 27 users have seen fit to even bother rating this piece of shit; that's probably about the same number of people who have watched it).

Can y'all please do me a favor: log onto IMDB and vote the movie the lowest possible rating, a 1/10. I really want it to have the lowest rating of all-time (is there an IMDB Bottom 250?)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #11328 on: December 30, 2012, 04:34:55 AM »

(is there an IMDB Bottom 250?)
There's Bottom 100: http://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom. I'm actually quite proud that there's a Finnish movie in it  Grin

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11329 on: December 30, 2012, 04:49:52 AM »

There's Bottom 100: http://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom. I'm actually quite proud that there's a Finnish movie in it  Grin

Oh Fuck; the highest rating on the Bottom 100 is 2.6/10, while A Secret Affair has a 2.7/10

It only has 27 votes; a minimum of 1500 are necessary to qualify it for Bottom 100 status, and I don't even know if more than a couple of hundred people will ever see this movie.

What shocks me is that I was at the AMC theater the next week, and that title was STILL PLAYING!

I mean, I know that in the studio system days, studios often forced theater chains to take their bad movies along with the good ones but why the fuck would AMC show the worst movie ever for (at least) 2 straight weeks? Do they buy up a certain number of weeks in advance? Does anyone know how these distribution/exhibition deals work? (I've always been interested in knowing that sort of stuff anyway, what better place to start than with the worst movie ever  Wink)

BTW, I see that when you click on an individual page of one of the movies in the Bottom 100, in the top right corner of the page it says "Top 5000," so I guess that means that there are no more than 5,000 movies in the IMDB? That's strange, many more movies than that have been made  Huh

p.s. looking through the list, I haven't seen any of these movies. The only one I can say with certainty I have even heard of is... the immortal GIGLI!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 05:03:53 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11330 on: December 30, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »

Aguirre, the Wrath of God - 6/10
The Man Who Would Be King - 7.5/10

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11331 on: December 30, 2012, 08:16:33 PM »

Django Unchained 7.62836/10  -- Entertaining.  I like that Tarantino actually made his spaghetti western, after Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds which were obviously spaghetti westerns taken out of the west.  Made me nostalgic for spaghetti westerns and reminded me of this board.  The Franco Nero cameo was aimed at the .01% of the population that we represent.  Hooray for us!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11332 on: December 30, 2012, 08:29:07 PM »

Django Unchained 7.62836/10  -- Entertaining.  I like that Tarantino actually made his spaghetti western, after Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds which were obviously spaghetti westerns taken out of the west.  Made me nostalgic for spaghetti westerns and reminded me of this board.  The Franco Nero cameo was aimed at the .01% of the population that we represent.  Hooray for us!

so using a character named Django and some of the music from the original Django suffices to make this a spag?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11333 on: December 31, 2012, 01:01:21 AM »

Sweet Bird of Youth (1962) 8/10

Geralidine Page is simply wonderful as the drunk/junkie/sex addict/washed up actress; the sort of role that we've all seen many times before, but she is simply amazing in it.

Shirley Knight is good. (Page and Knight were oscar-nominated for Best Actress and Best Leading Actress, respectively).

Ed Begley won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. Begley was one of the most reliable supporting actors from the 50's/60's; he almost always delivers a solid performance, and was pretty versatile too.

Of the 4 principal actors/actresses, ironically, Paul Newman was the only one who wasn't nominated.

the scenes between Newman and Page are much more fun than those between Newman and Knight or Begley. Seriously, I'd have even paid to see this if this would have just been just a play set in the hotel room, with just Newman and Page!

Btw, Frayling frequently has said that FAFDM was the first mainstream movie to have marijuana. (Depending on what interpretation you want to use), Sweet Bird of Youth may prove him wrong: in TSBOY, Page has a bag with some dope; Newman says "nice pot," and Page says "It's not pot; it's Moroccan hashish." So, technically, there is no marijuana in TSBOY, but I think it's worth a note that there is A) a mention of it;  and B) there is hash.

SPOILER ALERT

Thanks to TCM's Ben Mankiewicz, I learned that in the ending to the Tennessee Williams play this movie is based on, the Newman character does not get the girl (Knight); rather, he gets castrated. In the movie, he just gets a whipping on the face, and presumably will have a nasty scar and now won't be a chick-magnet anymore, but he does get Knight. Mankiewicz says that the Production Code absolutely forbade even a hint of castration.

I find it pretty funny how by 1962, when the Production Code was pretty much finished -- by that time, there was already explicit mention of sex, explicit mention of drug use, homosexuality by unambiguous implication if not by name  --  but castration, of all things,  was a taboo that couldn't even be implied   Grin Either way, castration or no castration, I think it's ridiculous that Newman ends up with Knight; that seems to be a forced happy ending. Newman had screwed things up way too much and didn't deserve that; he deserved to end the movie as a completely destroyed, hopeless man.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11334 on: December 31, 2012, 03:46:37 PM »

A Time To Love and a Time to Die (1958) 7/10. John Gavin is a German soldier on the Eastern Front when a 3-week furlough comes through, sending him home. He doesn't know it yet, but lovely Lilo Pulver is waiting for him . . . and so is Kinski! Hans Detlef Sierck returns to the Old Country--the Universal backlot, natch--to produce this wartime tear-jerker. Is this an ironic presentation of standard soapy situations? I don't think so!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11335 on: December 31, 2012, 07:56:41 PM »

House by the River (1950) 6.5/10 Crime of Passion (1957) 6.5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11336 on: January 01, 2013, 02:15:35 PM »

Ragtime (1981) 5/10

The production design and costumes were absolutely terrific. Howard E. Rollins, Jr. was great, as was James Cagney, in his final feature film (though his fake mustache was awful).

Otherwise, this movie was terrible. Elizabeth McGovern is absolutely awful (how the FUCK was she Oscar-nominated); with the exception of Rollins and Cagney, none of the performances are any good.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11337 on: January 01, 2013, 03:37:54 PM »

You didn't like Norman Mailer? I thought he gave a great performance of a rich guy getting Cowboyed. Highlight of the film.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11338 on: January 01, 2013, 03:41:24 PM »

You didn't like Norman Mailer? I thought he gave a great performance of a rich guy getting Cowboyed. Highlight of the film.

Actually, what I meant to say is that besides Cagney and Rollins, none of the MAIN performances are any good; eg. McGovern was awful, and I had little use for Brad Dourif (Younger Brother) or James Olson (Father).
But there are indeed some players with much smaller parts (such as Norman Mailer, Pat O'Brien, and Moses Gunn in his one scene) that are also good.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:45:18 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11339 on: January 02, 2013, 01:10:32 AM »

Hide in Plain Sight (1980) 8/10

Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM