Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 10:03:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831364 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11355 on: January 06, 2013, 04:35:13 AM »

Afro

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11356 on: January 06, 2013, 04:54:37 AM »

Yes, very good, very atmospheric, beautiful, even scary. I watched the 8 of the 9 Lewton produced Horror films in the last months, and  knew only 3 of them before, and they are all very good. All 8/10 and better. I Walked with a Zombie is even a masterpiece.

I Walked with a Zombie is great

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11357 on: January 06, 2013, 05:19:19 AM »

A drunken sexual encounter with world's famous and respected top model that created thousands of vocations throughout the world. I'd love to get more of those:)

I just used that analogy cuz it was the first experience that came to mind of something that, as soon as it's over, you just forget that it ever happened.

However, now that I think about it, it indeed is a poor analogy, for I imagine that at least while you are drunk and having the encounter, it is somewhat pleasurable; while Love on the Run is painful from beginning to end. (I have to use guesswork with these analogies; I wouldn't know from firsthand experience, as I've never had one of said encounters. It's not that I necessarily utilize the greatest discretion; it's that my would-be partners do  Wink)

AAAANYWAY, to make a short story long, in my humble opinion, Truffaut should have left well enough alone after The 400 Blows . (Or gotten better scripts).

btw, Patrick Auffay, who played Rene, Antoine Doinel's best friend in The 400 Blows , returned for Antoine and Colette, but was absent from the last 3 movies (not counting his appearances in flashbacks in Love on the Run, of course!). I really liked Auffay; once all those sequels were made, I wish they had used the Rene character in them as well.... I see now that besides those 2 movies, Auffay never appeared in any other movie, period http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0041756/  

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:49:28 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11358 on: January 06, 2013, 07:20:47 AM »

I was never blown away by the 400 Blows, but I like the later Doinel films also, except maybe the last, which indeed was not that good. but still ok.

Hmm, I think Truffaut made never a film which I would rate less than 6/10. I watched them all in the 80s, often more than once, but I did not return to them in this century. Except The Wild Child in a theatre a few years ago.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11359 on: January 06, 2013, 10:09:17 AM »

Hmm, I think Truffaut made never a film which I would rate less than 6/10.
Then you've never seen La chambre verte.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11360 on: January 06, 2013, 12:10:52 PM »

I have seen every Truffaut and La chambre verte was a lesser one. I don't remember much of it, but my assertion stands ...

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11361 on: January 06, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »

First viewings of 2013:

Meet John Doe - 7/10 - Middling Frank Capra effort has reporter Barbara Stanwyck recruiting hobo Gary Cooper as a spokesman for the common man. Cooper unwittingly starts a populist groundswell that builds into a third party movement - with Stanwyck's boss as their presidential candidate! The movie starts great but grows muddled as it goes along. Presumably the message is that populism is a good thing until co-opted by the establishment. All well and good, but what if the message itself is bad? There's a fine line between populism and demagoguery, which Capra's film lacks the sophistication to distinguish. Worthwhile for the acting and pointed humor, with Walter Brennan stealing scenes as Cooper's cynical partner raging against "helots."  

Outside the Law - 8/10 - Three Algerian brothers - one a committed revolutionary, one a bitter ex-soldier, the third an amoral club owner - join an FLN cell operating in 1950s France. Rachid Bouchareb re-imagines The Battle of Algiers as a gangster film, borrowing style cues and specific set-pieces from The Godfather. This matches his jaundiced view of the FLN, here little better than criminals as they murder rivals and extort supporters. Sami Bouajila's Abdelkadr is such a single-minded extremist that Tom Courtenay's Strelnikov would run screaming. The second half falls back on more conventional action, with the brothers uniting against Bernard Blancan's ruthless police inspector. Still, its moral ambiguity and narrative focus (no subplots, only a faint whiff of romance) are commendable.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:41:26 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11362 on: January 07, 2013, 11:33:13 AM »

5 Fingers (1952) - 8/10. In Ankara, early 1944, the British ambasador's valet (James Mason) sells secrets to the Germans--including details of Operation Overlord!  Based on a true story, this film has several things going for it: Turkish locations ("where the events actually occurred"), a Benny Herrmann score, Mason's performance (of course), Danielle Darrieux, and Joe Mankiewicz's dialogue. Plus there's a very satisfying twist at the end. It was only on this viewing that I realized it was the underling in the German embassy who wrote the book.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11363 on: January 07, 2013, 05:09:40 PM »

The Color of Money (1986) 8.5/10

Paul Newman's only competitive Oscar win. Tom Cruise and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio are also real good; (she was nominated for an Oscar).

This cinematography and editing are incredible.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11364 on: January 08, 2013, 07:38:23 AM »

Double Indemnity (1944) - 10/10. First Blu-ray viewing. The MOC transfer gets a 10. Unhappily, the source of the transfer has a problem, a lot of flickering on the left side of the frame. No doubt that's why we haven't yet seen a Region A blu-ray of this.

LINCOLNS GRANDFATHER
Bandido

Never seen so many men wasted so badly.

View Profile
« Reply #11365 on: January 08, 2013, 06:49:39 PM »

The X Files movie ( it was on T.V). I was never a big fan of the series and I'm afraid this was awful, 2/10. Angry

So many of us have had a session in there.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11366 on: January 08, 2013, 07:02:42 PM »

The X Files movie ( it was on T.V). I was never a big fan of the series and I'm afraid this was awful, 2/10. Angry

Which one?

LINCOLNS GRANDFATHER
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #11367 on: January 09, 2013, 03:00:43 AM »

The one with the beginning that was ok . A couple of Neanderthals find an alien in frozen Texas goes down hill after that . Do you think 2/10 is a little harsh ? The premise of the programme was intrigueing the characters just annoyed after watching a few times. Scully - I don't believe it and blinked when the truth was in front of me. Meanwhile Mulder is running about in the woods. I was expecting the film to progress from this, unfortunately it did not.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11368 on: January 09, 2013, 04:49:22 AM »

I liked that one okay. The 2008 sequel was unbearable.

LINCOLNS GRANDFATHER
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #11369 on: January 09, 2013, 05:09:58 AM »

TBH it has not helped that I have quit smoking recently and have been a right irritable bastard and over critical of just about everything. Gonna be interesting watching Leone without a smoke, especially FAFDM just prior dream segment and GBU  aftera meal there's nothing like a good chewing gum doesn't sit right.

Pages: 1 ... 756 757 [758] 759 760 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM