Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 09:57:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1834517 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11430 on: January 17, 2013, 01:44:03 AM »

The Bad and the Beautiful (1952) 9/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11431 on: January 17, 2013, 09:26:30 AM »

The Bad and the Beautiful (1952) 9/10
The prequel to Two Weeks In Another Town!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11432 on: January 17, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »

The Wild Bunch - 4.5/10
Bring on the hate/exile from the Leone board/"maybe you better stick to Transformers 2" (or is that just an IMDb criticism?). My long-delayed first viewing of The Wild Bunch comes with an unexpected amount of disappointment. I've got no problem with a loosely-structured and plotted movie about a bunch of old cowboys trying to fit in to a modernizing west. However, when the characterization is as uninteresting and dull as it is in The Wild Bunch, there's no place for me to find any interest in what's happening. It scores few points because it looks pretty and is importantly historically in Hollywood. Peckinpah's slow-motion is neat, but I can't stand the editing style.

I've only seen two Peckinpah films and Straw Dogs is leaps and bounds better than this.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:37:51 PM by rrpower » Logged
LINCOLNS GRANDFATHER
Bandido

Never seen so many men wasted so badly.

View Profile
« Reply #11433 on: January 17, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »

I agree with ya rrpower, even the slow motion bothered me. Watch out though we may have a posse hunting us down from this site as many love this film. I'm surprised that so many of the marks for peoples watched movies are 8s and 9s out of 10,. Maybe I'm watchon mediocre films too often.

So many of us have had a session in there.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11434 on: January 17, 2013, 02:16:50 PM »

Thatr's because the rating systems differ.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11435 on: January 17, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »

The prequel to Two Weeks In Another Town!

Grin maybe

but The Bad and The Beautiful is the better movie

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11436 on: January 17, 2013, 10:29:33 PM »

Into the Wild - 8/10
Extra points because I love adventuring and Eddie Vedder does the soundtrack. He's my fucking hero. This was my second full viewing, I think I enjoyed it a bit more the first time through.

Cloud Atlas - 2/10
I got my wisdom teeth removed yesterday. It was a bad experience, but on the bright side, I can be thankful that I never have to go through with it again. It comforts me to think about Cloud Atlas the same way.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:31:51 PM by rrpower » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11437 on: January 18, 2013, 12:45:44 AM »

The Wild Bunch - 4.5/10
Bring on the hate/exile from the Leone board/"maybe you better stick to Transformers 2" (or is that just an IMDb criticism?). My long-delayed first viewing of The Wild Bunch comes with an unexpected amount of disappointment. I've got no problem with a loosely-structured and plotted movie about a bunch of old cowboys trying to fit in to a modernizing west. However, when the characterization is as uninteresting and dull as it is in The Wild Bunch, there's no place for me to find any interest in what's happening. It scores few points because it looks pretty and is importantly historically in Hollywood. Peckinpah's slow-motion is neat, but I can't stand the editing style.

I've only seen two Peckinpah films and Straw Dogs is leaps and bounds better than this.

you go boy!  Afro

Personally, I'd rate The Wild Bunch higher than that -- having seen it thrice, I believe I've rated it as high as 8/10, which means it's a solid movie --  but I really can't stand the reverence with which it is treated on these otherwise fine boards, as if it was on par with Leone's films. It's the empty cans that rattle the loudest.

I haven't seen Straw Dogs, but I have seen The Getaway, Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, and I don't think any of those were great movies.

The best thing of his that i saw was Noon Wine http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11517.msg161375#msg161375

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:54:00 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11438 on: January 18, 2013, 01:46:05 AM »

Into the Wild - 8/10
Extra points because I love adventuring and Eddie Vedder does the soundtrack. He's my fucking hero. This was my second full viewing, I think I enjoyed it a bit more the first time through.

Who's your hero? Eddie Vedder or the main character?
You shouldn't give extra points for adventuring to a movie that makes adventuring (very wrongly) look like walking from postcard to postcard, kind of betraying what the guy (very very wrongly but that's another question) stood for (the 2 main symbols of our consumption society being, as anyone knows, Coke and postcards).
On the other hand, had this paradox been intentional, we would have had a great movie. But it's Sean Penn so it isn't.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:54:14 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11439 on: January 18, 2013, 02:04:37 AM »

Re. The Wild Bunch

There are a lot of reasons why TWB is on par with the best Leones (OuTW, GBU), and far superior to the rest.

I'm glad that it has not become a film which pleases everyone, but what counts is that there are a enough people who would say that it is one of the best films ever, if not the best.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11440 on: January 18, 2013, 04:02:40 AM »

Django Unchained 7/10

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11441 on: January 18, 2013, 05:47:40 AM »

The Breaking Point (1950), a more faithful adaptation of Hemingway's "To Have And Have Not" not very stylistically "Noir" but interesting and believable performances by all. 7/10  will expand.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11442 on: January 18, 2013, 07:00:26 AM »

Who's your hero? Eddie Vedder or the main character?
You shouldn't give extra points for adventuring to a movie that makes adventuring (very wrongly) look like walking from postcard to postcard, kind of betraying what the guy (very very wrongly but that's another question) stood for (the 2 main symbols of our consumption society being, as anyone knows, Coke and postcards).
On the other hand, had this paradox been intentional, we would have had a great movie. But it's Sean Penn so it isn't.
Vedder. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of his solo career. And maybe 'hero' is a bit of an exaggeration, but I fucking love Pearl Jam.

I thought the movie gave a good enough sense of cross-country adventure, however flawed it might be.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #11443 on: January 18, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »

The Innocents (1961) - 8/10

I guess there are some questions emanating from the story that nobody feels really comfortable asking. Strange how this was even made in the (early) 60's. Other than that, it lacks a hard punch in the end, but that's the only major flaw as far as I'm concerned.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11444 on: January 18, 2013, 05:19:20 PM »

All That Jazz - 5/5
Masterful.

Life of Pi - 2.5/5
An interesting middle act but overall not my kind of film personally. Impressive work, though.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:22:15 PM by rrpower » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 761 762 [763] 764 765 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM