Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 09:34:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1835367 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #11490 on: January 29, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »

Solomon Kane (2009) - 6/10

A pity of a movie really. Great potential: solid performances and fantastic atmosphere, and a miserable, cliched scenario.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11491 on: January 29, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »

Le Samourai - 9/10 - Alain Delon out-stoics Clint Eastwood as a hitman hunted by police, double-crossed by his employers and determined to "always see the job through." Really stylish, really tense, really cool.

Something of Value - 7(?)/10 - Early Richard Brooks flick has white Kenyan Rock Hudson and black Kenyan Sidney Poitier ending up on opposite sides during the Mau Mau Rebellion. Outwardly a typical message film, it plays like a very strange art movie, complete with odd flourishes: rough, elliptical editing; effective African-inflected score; on-the-nose symbolism; an odd mix of American and British accents among the cast. The actors are a mixed bag: Rock Hudson and Dana Wynter stiff, Sidney Poitier good, Wendy Hiller and Juano Hernandez effective support. Not the sum of its parts, but if you ever wanted to see Poitier fighting with a Sten gun in one hand and a screaming baby in the other check it out.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 03:17:09 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11492 on: January 30, 2013, 06:16:09 AM »

The Duellists (1977) 10/10. First Blu-ray viewing. Joseph Conrad as envisioned by Stanley Kubrick (only it's really Ridley Scott). The pretty pictures--every shot a painting!--can't get in the way of a corkin' good yarn. I like the way neophyte Scott keeps trying to one-up the Master: Kubrick thinks that Ryan O'Neal can pass as an Irishman? Hey, cast Carradine (Keith) and Keitel as French soldiers! Then pile-on a supporting cast of Late 70s greats: Dianna Quick, Tom Conti, Robert Stephens (Robert Stephens?) and, in a cameo, Albert Finney. If your vision is acute you can even spot Pete Postlethwaite and Morgan Fisher is non-speaking bits. Yeah, baby!

That Obscure Object of Desire (1977) 10/10. First Blu-ray viewing. Old goat meets professional coquette: Don Luis at his funniest. Don't ask why two very dissimilar actresses change-off playing the titular character--this is surrealism, baby!

Empire of Passion (1978) 10/10. First Blu-ray viewing. The only Oshima I can stand, but it's a monster! In late Edo Japan, a woman and her lover conspire to murder the woman's hubby. Only now the victim's ghost won't leave the couple alone! Can you say The Postman Always Rings Twice meets Kaidan? Great photography. Thanks for the French co-production money, baby!

Glengarry Glen Ross
(1992) 10/10. First Blu-ray viewing. Having recently seen the Broadway revival (with Pacino, Bobby Cannavale, and that guy from Office Space), I was anxious to re-experience the movie. Know what? The movie is better! Always Be Closing, baby!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11493 on: January 30, 2013, 11:28:36 AM »

The Duellists (1977) 10/10. First Blu-ray viewing. Joseph Conrad as envisioned by Stanley Kubrick (only it's really Ridley Scott). The pretty pictures--every shot a painting!--can't get in the way of a corkin' good yarn. I like the way neophyte Scott keeps trying to one-up the Master: Kubrick thinks that Ryan O'Neal can pass as an Irishman? Hey, cast Carradine (Keith) and Keitel as French soldiers! Then pile-on a supporting cast of Late 70s greats: Dianna Quick, Tom Conti, Robert Stephens (Robert Stephens?) and, in a cameo, Albert Finney. If your vision is acute you can even spot Pete Postlethwaite and Morgan Fisher is non-speaking bits. Yeah, baby!

That Obscure Object of Desire (1977) 10/10. First Blu-ray viewing. Old goat meets professional coquette: Don Luis at his funniest. Don't ask why two very dissimilar actresses change-off playing the titular character--this is surrealism, baby!

Empire of Passion (1978) 10/10. First Blu-ray viewing. The only Oshima I can stand, but it's a monster! In late Edo Japan, a woman and her lover conspire to murder the woman's hubby. Only now the victim's ghost won't leave the couple alone! Can you say The Postman Always Rings Twice meets Kaidan? Great photography. Thanks for the French co-production money, baby!

Glengarry Glen Ross
(1992) 10/10. First Blu-ray viewing. Having recently seen the Broadway revival (with Pacino, Bobby Cannavale, and that guy from Office Space), I was anxious to re-experience the movie. Know what? The movie is better! Always Be Closing, baby!

are you rating the blu ray discs or the movie? four consecutive 10/10's is pretty damn good

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11494 on: January 30, 2013, 01:04:50 PM »

Two of those movies stink, while I haven't heard of the other two.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11495 on: January 30, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »

Two of those movies stink, while I haven't heard of the other two.
Thus rendering your judgment moot.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #11496 on: January 30, 2013, 01:28:16 PM »

The Shooter (2007)
- 4/10

Crap.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:30:20 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11497 on: January 30, 2013, 01:34:03 PM »

DJ, I'm just wondering if when you rate a blu ray so highly, A) your rating includes the quality of the blu ray disc; OR B) the rating is entirely on the movie itself (so that if you had watched it on dvd, you would give it the same rating)?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11498 on: January 30, 2013, 01:47:41 PM »

Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956) 8/10

The story of Rocky Graziano, who grew up on the means streets of the Lower East Side, and became boxing's middleweight champion. Paul Newman in his second movie (after the disastrous The Silver Chalice nearly wrecked his career before it began).

Newman's Italian street accent is not very convincing, it's almost cartoon-like, but the performance is enjoyable nonetheless. Everett Sloan is very good as Irving Cohen, Graziano's manager who is a former salesman of women's lingerie. Pier Angeli plays Graziano's Jewish wife Norma Unger (Angeli's Italian accent is standing in for what I guess should be an Eastern European accent).

The movie is based on Graziano's autobiography of the same name (which I didn't read, so I have no idea how much of the movie is accurate).

A very young Steve McQueen has an uncredited, early scene as a member of Rocky's gang.

There's a good use of makeup, Newman has a very realistic looking busted nose, etc. http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1049729024/tt0049778

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11499 on: January 30, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »

Thus rendering your judgment moot.

No, baby!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11500 on: January 30, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »

5 Steps to Danger (1957) Sterling Hayden, Ruth Roman, and Werner Klemperer road pic with commie spy angle, 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11501 on: January 30, 2013, 04:06:26 PM »

DJ, I'm just wondering if when you rate a blu ray so highly, A) your rating includes the quality of the blu ray disc; OR B) the rating is entirely on the movie itself (so that if you had watched it on dvd, you would give it the same rating)?
I'm rating the film. The blu-ray renders it the best possible way for home video at the moment. It may be that a good presentation can cause me to appreciate a film more than I would if I saw it on DVD, just as a cinema presentation might do. But I only rate the disc/transfer if I state that expressly.

As for example:

Tokyo monogatari (1953). 9/10. First Blu-ray viewing. Good Ozu, but not Best Ozu. The BFI transfer is a bit disappointing, and doesn't seem to improve on the DVD much. I'm sure it's the fault of the materials (I can live with all the speckles, but the contrast is really annoying). I remember hearing that there was a restoration under way (many moons ago) and perhaps that's the reason why Criterion hasn't issued this on blu yet. Well, it would be nice if something better came along. Blu-ray: 6/10.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11502 on: January 30, 2013, 07:24:53 PM »

So where did you see Outcast of the Islands?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11503 on: January 30, 2013, 08:05:53 PM »

So where did you see Outcast of the Islands?

Looks like there's a DVD-R and DVD available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/178-4543430-1580435?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=outcast+of+the+islands

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:07:15 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11504 on: January 30, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »

Anatomy of a Murder (1959) 9/10 -- 2nd viewing

Brilliant movie. Brilliantly acted all around. Just fucking brilliant. The greatest courtroom movie I have ever seen (possible exception is The Verdict, but I have to see that one again to refresh my opinion).

Every lawyer gets a kick out of:
Ben Gazzara:  "How can a jury disregard what they've already heard?
Jimmy Stewart: "It can't!"

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:52:36 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM