Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 02:06:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843037 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11505 on: January 30, 2013, 11:25:29 PM »

Anatomy of a Murder (1959) 9/10 -- 2nd viewing

Brilliant movie. Brilliantly acted all around. Just fucking brilliant. The greatest courtroom movie I have ever seen (possible exception is The Verdict, but I have to see that one again to refresh my opinion).

Every lawyer gets a kick out of:
Ben Gazzara:  "How can a jury disregard what they've already heard?
Jimmy Stewart: "It can't!"

Agreed

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: January 31, 2013, 09:30:45 PM »

zero dark thirty 8/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: February 01, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »

Stand Up Guys (2013) 3/10. Pacino and Walken, together again for the first time! And why not throw Alan Arkin into the mix, too? And then, make them gangsters. Old gangsters. Hey, it's Grumpy Old Goodfellas: what a concept! Stories that sentimentalize old people are bad enough; stories that sentimentalize criminals are worse: but a story that sentimentalizes people who are both old and criminals? Where do I go to vomit?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11508 on: February 01, 2013, 02:27:36 PM »

Stand Up Guys (2013) 3/10. Pacino and Walken, together again for the first time! And why not throw Alan Arkin into the mix, too? And then, make them gangsters. Old gangsters. Hey, it's Grumpy Old Goodfellas: what a concept! Stories that sentimentalize old people are bad enough; stories that sentimentalize criminals are worse: but a story that sentimentalizes people who are both old and criminals? Where do I go to vomit?

Sounds like a rip-off of Mad Dog Time. I'll pass.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: February 01, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »

Zero Dark Thirty - Kathryn Bigelow

After the boring Hurt locker this demure thriller (some may call it realistic) is a very positive surprise. The characters are what they wear and what they do. No explanations, no patriotism, no racism, no adjudgement. Just a bunch of guys doing their job with passion (but it could be another one) which happens to be catching terrorists, which includes torturing people. Directing is pretty good, pretty inspired, but the real trump in Bigelow's film is the ever incredible Jessica Chastain. Bigelow's best work so far. 9/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: February 02, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »

I don't get y'all's fixation with Jessica Chastain; she is good not great, both in looks and acting performance.

That scene where she screams at her CIA boss to pay attention to her hunches, is so fucking pathetic I was laughing. She was awful in that scene; also in the scene where she says (paraphrasing) "some of my friends died doing this, I have to complete the job" is pretty bad.

Overall though, it's definitely not a bad performance. But it ain't worthy of any Best Actress award either. The fact that Chastain received an Oscar nomination is just the latest example of what a joke the Oscars are.

(For believable females in tough guy enforcement roles, I'll take Julianne Moore or Jodie Foster as Clarice Starling any day).

IMO the two great performances are by the lead males -- Jason Clarke, the CIA interrogator; and Reda Kateb, the terrorist he is interrogating.

I hated the chapter headings.

There is a little something missing that prevents it from reaching its full potential, it is not a great movie, but it is a solid 8/10 and I do think everyone should see it at least once.

There is an opening subtitle that says the movie is based on true events based on the accounts of those who participated. I am sure that it's harder to determine that in the case of this movie than any other, due to the classified nature of some of the info; I have no clue how much of this is true, I'll leave that to the history buffs like Groggy to do the research on.

I did not like the ending how it closes on Chastain crying; though the movie may be about her persistence paying off, once bin Laden was killed, it should have focused more on the happy aftermath of that rather than on Chastain's personal emotions.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:28:44 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11511 on: February 02, 2013, 07:24:31 PM »

Groundhog Day - 9/10 - ?th viewing - Deserves all its praise and then some.

The Damned - 8/10 - Visconti's epic chronicle of industrial backstabbing in Nazi Germany falls just short of a masterpiece. The story is deliciously complex, the characters marvelously hateful and Visconti stages the big set pieces (especially the Night of the Long Knives) with his usual flair. Great acting from all involved, with top honors to Helmut Griem's preening SS creep and Ingrid Thulin's Frau Macbeth. Unfortunately the bottom drops out in the last 20 minutes: too many story threads rush to a conclusion, and Helmut Berger's character goes from frightening pervert to cartoon grotesque.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: February 02, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »

Overall though, it's definitely not a bad performance. But it ain't worthy of any Best Actress award either. The fact that Chastain received an Oscar nomination is just the latest example of what a joke the Oscars are.

(For believable females in tough guy enforcement roles, I'll take Julianne Moore or Jodie Foster as Clarice Starling any day).
I don't believe either Ms. Moore or Ms. Foster were nominated this year. Some technicality about dates, I think.

P.S. The Oscars have always been a joke.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: February 03, 2013, 01:22:55 AM »

the master - stfu shut the fuck u;p/10

fuck u if you say this movies less than a 9.8 wtf

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: February 03, 2013, 03:48:09 AM »

I don't believe either Ms. Moore or Ms. Foster were nominated this year. Some technicality about dates, I think.

Not always. The annoying truth about the Oscars is that sometimes they did the right thing. 

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: February 03, 2013, 04:16:51 AM »

Your first sentence has no bearing whatsoever on anything I said.

Your second sentence is repeating what I said

So, I am glad we are in agreement

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: February 03, 2013, 04:18:19 AM »

the master - stfu shut the fuck u;p/10

fuck u if you say this movies less than a 9.8 wtf

This movie's much less than a 9.8. Heck,  it's much less than an 8.9

fuck me

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: February 03, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »

now let me try that again, sober:

The Master - 10/10

much less than 8.9?! whatever floats your boat...I recommend another viewing though, it gets significantly better each time.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:42:30 AM by rrpower » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: February 03, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »

I recommend reading the script available here: http://twcguilds.com/film/the-master#score

By the time it got to the screen, they'd really improved things.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11519 on: February 03, 2013, 06:03:58 PM »

The Leopard - 8/10 - 3rd viewing, 1st of the extended cut. Absorbing, beautiful, but long Visconti epic. Visconti makes full use of an epic canvas: ravishing photography, decor and music, sharp characterizations, literate script, cynically complex politics, effective romance subplots. Flawless cast: Burt Lancaster is appropriately grave and commanding. Oddly, dubbing him in Italian helps mask his usual persona. Has there ever been a prettier couple than Alain Delon and Claudia Cardinale? Funny support from Romolo Valli and Paolo Stoppa, and Terence Hill has a prominent role. The film drags a bit in its middle sections, but even the slower parts are gorgeous to watch.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:05:02 PM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM