Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 10:08:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760276 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11640 on: March 03, 2013, 04:32:19 PM »

Did you notice Frank Wolff?

not till I saw his name on the credits. Never would have noticed him.

(I guess the poor bastard was never destined to fulfill the dreams of his lifetime  Wink)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #11641 on: March 03, 2013, 04:44:22 PM »

My Name Is Nobody (1973) - 4/5.  Afro This had SL written all over it!

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11642 on: March 03, 2013, 06:54:09 PM »

Grand Slam (1967) Ad ogni costo a nice surprise, 8/10

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:57:02 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11643 on: March 03, 2013, 07:18:01 PM »

Grand Slam (1967) Ad ogni costo a nice surprise, 8/10

I give this a 10/10, this is probably my favorite caper movie.

btw, Frayling says that Leone was considered for this project; see STDWD, pp. 165-166, RE: discussions of the projects Leone was considering after FOD, before he ultimately decided to do FAFDM:

He also contemplated a remake of Fritz Lang's M, possibly with Klaus Kinski (admired for his theatre work at the time), in the Peter Lorre part of a Dusseldorf child murdered. At the same time he contacted Sergio Donati, asking him to write a script for another Papi and Colombo production. It was a thriller about a diamond heist, called Ad ogni costo/Grand Slam. Donati recalls: He was supposed by contract to do something like ten movies in a row for [Papi and Colombi] .... I was even ready to go to the location. I had the ticket to Egypt, and Sergio called me in Milan at the last minute and said 'Don't go, don't go.'

Frayling goes on to describe how Leone ultimately was able to get out of a bad  long-term contract he had signed with Papi and Colombo (out of desperation to get FOD off the ground), and went on to make FAFDM partially as a means of getting back at Papi and Colombo -- so the title of his film took on a one-upsmanship meaning: FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE!

Grand Slam did have a lot of Leone collaborators  full crew is here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062636/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm#cast

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 03:39:21 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11644 on: March 04, 2013, 02:46:26 AM »

My Name Is Nobody (1973) - 4/5.  Afro This had SL written all over it!

Definitely ...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11645 on: March 04, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »

Awakenings (1990)

When I was watching the movie, I thought it was way too fantastic. No fucking way this shit could happen. (I know, it says "Based on a True Story") but it just didn't seem possible. That took away some of my enjoyment of the movie, I almost felt like I was watching a cow jumping over the moon, I was rolling my eyes sometimes, like I was watching science-fiction; but then I read about it afterward online and was surprised to see that the story is actually true!! That's fucking incredible. I guess this story is so amazing you couldn't dare make it up if it weren't true. Kind of like Babe Ruth  Wink
This gets an 8.5/10

Robert De Niro and Robin Williams were both incredible

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #11646 on: March 04, 2013, 01:16:13 PM »

Riff-Raff (1991) - 8/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11647 on: March 05, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »

The Red Badge of Courage (1951) 7/10

there are some nice scenes here, and I really liked the cinematography on some.

I didn't like that they omitted  the scene where the main character comes upon the dead body whose face is eaten out by the birds.

I did not like the opening narration at all: informing the audience that this was a famous book by Stephen Crane (NO SHIT) and that the narration will be taken from the book etc. and some other shit. the narration is not very good here, and uses some guy without a particularly good voice. Apparently, director John Huston did not put the narration in there, that was done by the studio afterward against his wishes. Seems like there were lots of problems with this production, disagreements between Huston and the studio, subject of the book "Picture" by Lillian Ross

IMO Bill Mauldin, who has the most important supporting role, overshadows lead actor Audie Murphy. Murphy was never a good actor. Just a great soldier with a baby face. I wish they'd given the lead role to Mauldin instead!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:49:31 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11648 on: March 05, 2013, 09:21:49 PM »

been watching on old vhs of GBU for about 10 minutes before i fall asleep every night for the past week. boner-enducing movie.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11649 on: March 06, 2013, 02:33:38 AM »

The Red Badge of Courage (1951) 7/10

there are some nice scenes here, and I really liked the cinematography on some.

I didn't like that they omitted  the scene where the main character comes upon the dead body whose face is eaten out by the birds.

I did not like the opening narration at all: informing the audience that this was a famous book by Stephen Crane (NO SHIT) and that the narration will be taken from the book etc. and some other shit. the narration is not very good here, and uses some guy without a particularly good voice. Apparently, director John Huston did not put the narration in there, that was done by the studio afterward against his wishes. Seems like there were lots of problems with this production, disagreements between Huston and the studio, subject of the book "Picture" by Lillian Ross

IMO Bill Mauldin, who has the most important supporting role, overshadows leas actor Audie Murphy. Murphy was never a good actor. Just a great soldier with a baby face. I wish they'd given the lead role to Mauldin instead!

The released film is only a fragment, but an impressive one.

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11650 on: March 06, 2013, 03:49:29 AM »

A Genius, Two Partners, And An Idiot (1975) - 2.5/5 stars, great opening [directed by SL himself] but very quickly goes downhill after that.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11651 on: March 06, 2013, 04:37:38 AM »

I like the "duel" between Hill and Klaus Kinski too. Otherwise I'd agree.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11652 on: March 06, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »

Had a snow day today so...

Wreck-It Ralph - 8/10 - Basically Toy Story with video game characters, which isn't a bad thing. Fun story, cool animation, funny cameos by Sonic the Hedgehog, Pac Man, Q Bert and other gaming icons. The non-star voice cast is refreshing: when John C. Reilly and Jane Lynch are your big names you're far removed from Dreamworks' "cram in every star needing some cash" approach. The last act is pure formula, taking it down a peg.

The Dresser - 8/10 - Albert Finney plays Donald Wolfit... er, Sir, an egomaniacal ham actor touring England during the Second World War. Tom Courtenay is his long-suffering assistant. Both funny and sincere, mocking and affectionate towards its characters. Finney has Wolfit down pat, in voice, mannerisms, even appearance, but transcends mere impersonation. Courtenay plays against type, flouncy and irritable here. Eileen Atkins has a meaty supporting role and Edward Fox gets some choice jabs at Sir.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11653 on: March 07, 2013, 03:26:25 PM »

The Brothers Rico (1957) 6/10

Richard Conte, whom I loved so much in House of Strangers just seems to be going through the motions here. This is a good story that could have been made into a good movie but just wasn't done very well. The actresses are all good, but none of the male actors in any of the main roles deliver any noteworthy performances

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11654 on: March 08, 2013, 05:25:17 AM »

The Taking Of Pelham 123 (2009) - 2.5/5 stars. An ok remake.

Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM