Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 01:38:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1837584 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11655 on: March 09, 2013, 04:36:27 PM »

The Assassination of Trotsky - 5/10 - Docudrama account of Leon Trotsky's last days in Mexico, stalked by Alain Delon's mysterious assassin. The movie isn't terrible so much as dramatically inert. It's meticulously researched with a few memorable set pieces, but does little to flesh out its characters or political conflicts. Joseph Losey's direction seems the primary culprit, mixing static verite with obnoxious artsy touches (a bloody bull fight, Diego Rivera murals). Richard Burton is a good Trotsky but Alain Delon plays a self-parody: characters even ask why he's always so silent!

Saturday nights with Groggy
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #11656 on: March 09, 2013, 10:30:32 PM »

Taken 2 (2012) - 3/5 stars. A good sequel, and even though there were moments which were better than the first one, I prefer the first Taken just a little more. Liam Neeson is a bad ass as always.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11657 on: March 09, 2013, 11:11:05 PM »

Suddenly (1954) 7/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11658 on: March 10, 2013, 01:24:40 AM »

Suddenly (1954) 7/10

I saw it also agreed.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11659 on: March 10, 2013, 01:58:34 AM »

I saw it also agreed.

I like the interactions in the house between Sinatra and Hayden. The Sinatra character is a very good one, a psycopathic gun-for-hire but who is a proud soldier and proud of his wartime record, he becomes a chatterbox whenever the topic is brought up. I wonder if, only a decade after WWII ended, it wasn't controversial to talk about a soldier as basically just a killer.

What I hated were the characters of the other two gunmen. Like when Hayden says (paraphrasing) "you're gonna get caught, no way can you get away," and one of the gunmen starts crying "yeah Johnny, we're not gonna get away." And when the old man says, "how can you kill the president, he's your president too" and one of the gunmen starts crying "yeah Johnny, maybe this is wrong" That is so motherfucking ridiculous. If someone is hiring gunmen to assassinate the prez, you hire the most cold-blooded professionals, not some whiners, and suddenly when someone tells them they're not gonna get away or how wrong it is, they suddenly think "yeah, now that you mention it, you're right," as if they never thought of it before. That's so damn ridiculous.

And so many movies that feature a gang of gunmen have a similar issue; the leader is some cold-blooded professional while inevitably one or more of the rest of them are softies and suddenly rethink the situation. Just ridiculous. Hired killers are hired killers. of course some people may be cowards and get scared when things get hot, but to suddenly get a conscience? maybe it seems interesting to a screenwriter to try to give some variety among the gunmen's personalities, but doing it like that is just silly  Roll Eyes

--- This movie had a nice small-town location feel.

--- The image quality on TCM was awful. I see Wikipedia says the film is in the public domain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suddenly_%281954_film%29#Background
There are a bunch of versions available on Amazon, including 2 on blu ray; I wonder if any are decent http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmovies-tv&field-keywords=suddenly+frank+sinatra&rh=n%3A2625373011%2Ck%3Asuddenly+frank+sinatra

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:05:53 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11660 on: March 10, 2013, 09:31:59 PM »

Dial 1119 (1950) 8/10

A good noir about a deranged murderer who escapes a nut house and barricades himself in a bar, holding the patrons hostage.

I really like the bar set, Marshall Thompson is very good as the deranged killer, the cast members are good.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:34:01 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11661 on: March 11, 2013, 01:58:18 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042035/

We Were Strangers (1949) 8/10

John Huston directed and co-wrote this screenplay, set in 1933,  about a group of Cuban revolutionaries attempting to overthrow an oppressive government by killing the president and parliament.

John Garfield plays an American businessmen who becomes leader of the revolutionaries; Jennifer Jones becomes a revolutionary after her brother is killed by an evil policeman played by Pedro Armendariz. All three of them deliver very good performances (Jones has a convincing Cuban accent). And the supporting characters who make up the revolutionary cell are all very good too.

Supposedly, this movie was an influence on Lee Harvey Oswald -- since the revolutionary plot includes an assassination attempt -- as was Suddenly (1954), which also just played on TCM. The latter film seems much closer to the assassination of JFK. In We Were Strangers, the attempt is to blow up the Cuban president and parliament members with dynamite; in Suddenly, the attempt is to assassinate an American president as he is in a car driving through a town; with a high-powered rifle aimed from a window facing down on the street where the car would be driving.

We Were Strangers uses lots of noir visuals in the indoor scenes; though it's not a typical crime drama; perhaps this is what CJ would call a "near-noir"

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:40:12 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11662 on: March 11, 2013, 03:40:38 AM »

The Rock (1996) - 4/5 stars. Great action movie! I wish Michael Bay continued to make movies like this.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11663 on: March 11, 2013, 04:44:35 AM »

The Rock (1996) - 4/5 stars. Great action movie! I wish Michael Bay continued to make movies like this.

2 of my favorite movies in '00-'01 The Patriot, and Die Hard With a Vengenace.The Rock was also a  damn fine action movie.

I had those three movies on videotape, and every nite when I was 16 or 17, watched a movie on videotape for a few minutes before I went to bed; frequently, it would be one of those three movies. (I would watch the first two in their entirety, over the course of several nights, eg. I might watch half an hour at a time of the Patriot, so over 5 nights the movie would be done; ditto for DHWAD. But for The Rock, I generally just picked up where the serious action begins: when the choppers starts heading to Alcatraz {i believe that even after all these years, I can remember that's the 1:15 mark]

Aided by all those nights watching a few minutes at a time, I can say that I have seen The Patriot and Die Hard With a Vengeance well over 50 times each.
RE: The Rock as I said, I rarely watched the beginning,  but from the 75-minute mark till the end, I must have seen it at least 50 times

Okay, I reeeeaaallyhave to go to sleep now. I can't be responsible for any ramblings uttered before I get a good night's morning's sleep

Sweet dreams!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:47:32 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11664 on: March 11, 2013, 06:28:11 AM »

I first saw The Rock when I was about 15 and thought it was awesome, and if I want to watch bits of it, I usually fast forward to the car chase with the ferrari - watch that, and then fast forward to when they arrive at Alcatraz [that ambush scene in the shower room, along with Hans Zimmer's score is just EPIC!]. I also think it's a very manly movie, I mean we have Sean Connery, James Bond himself, giving a few tips to us males on how "winners go home and fk the prom queen." I first watched it on TV, and it was a Saturday, and the following Monday I had a big chemistry exam which I had been studying really hard for, and in a way this movie pumped me up for the test, and I ended up doing really well. So before every science related exam I had after that, I'd watch The Rock on the weekend before the exam as a lucky charm, and I must say it has worked pretty well so far.

As for DHWAV [one of my fav. movies], I've easily seen it about 25+ times, and can never fast forward to certain bits, the entire movie is awesome. The chemistry between Willis and Jackson is awesome, I remember laughing so hard when I first saw the movie, especially during the scene where they first meet, and when they escape in the car and Jackson's character gets frustrated with John calling him "Jesus". I understand why some people hate the ending, which seems detached from the rest of the story, but I didn't mind it. I saw the alternate ending, and thought it was a little too dark for McClane's character to go after Simon like that.

And as for The Patriot, I might have to give it a go now. I think DHWAV, and The Rock are some of the last good action movies that were made.

Well, that's enough of my rambling because it's time for me to go to sleep now, so goodnight!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11665 on: March 11, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »

I first saw The Rock when I was about 15 and thought it was awesome, and if I want to watch bits of it, I usually fast forward to the car chase with the ferrari - watch that, and then fast forward to when they arrive at Alcatraz [that ambush scene in the shower room, along with Hans Zimmer's score is just EPIC!]. I also think it's a very manly movie, I mean we have Sean Connery, James Bond himself, giving a few tips to us males on how "winners go home and fk the prom queen." I first watched it on TV, and it was a Saturday, and the following Monday I had a big chemistry exam which I had been studying really hard for, and in a way this movie pumped me up for the test, and I ended up doing really well. So before every science related exam I had after that, I'd watch The Rock on the weekend before the exam as a lucky charm, and I must say it has worked pretty well so far.

As for DHWAV [one of my fav. movies], I've easily seen it about 25+ times, and can never fast forward to certain bits, the entire movie is awesome. The chemistry between Willis and Jackson is awesome, I remember laughing so hard when I first saw the movie, especially during the scene where they first meet, and when they escape in the car and Jackson's character gets frustrated with John calling him "Jesus". I understand why some people hate the ending, which seems detached from the rest of the story, but I didn't mind it. I saw the alternate ending, and thought it was a little too dark for McClane's character to go after Simon like that.

And as for The Patriot, I might have to give it a go now. I think DHWAV, and The Rock are some of the last good action movies that were made.

Well, that's enough of my rambling because it's time for me to go to sleep now, so goodnight!
Die Hard With a Vengeance   is my favorite action movie

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:29:33 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11666 on: March 11, 2013, 05:01:41 PM »

So you think it's better than the original Die Hard?
I can't choose between DH and DHWAV, they're both 5/5 material for me.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11667 on: March 11, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »

no doubt.

my fave is DHWAV, then DH2, then the original. All 3 are great

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11668 on: March 11, 2013, 05:34:48 PM »

They certainly are. LFODH was OK but A Good Day To Die Hard was a major disappointment.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11669 on: March 11, 2013, 08:23:59 PM »

I hated the 4th one and I don't know if I will even bother to see the 5th one. To me, it will always be The Die Hard Trilogy

Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM