Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 04:33:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1830934 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11715 on: March 16, 2013, 06:28:21 PM »

A 4.5 means the movie was so frustratingly close to perfection but had a small moment which took me out of the experience. E.g. OUATIA, 4.5/5, if that rape scene wasn't so long, I would've given it 5/5.

the rape scene is supposd to be brtaly uncomfortable to watch. Rapes are much closer to that than they are to what we see in eg. A Streetcar Named Desire. I think we'd have a very different opinion of Stanley Kowalski if the rape wasn't just a one-second smashing of the mirror. And for OUATIA, it's important that Noodles doesn't become a hero. Because he's not. (In The Hoods, the rape actually didn't happen; he started pulling off her clothes in back of the limo but the driver stopped him from going very far; but if you read The Hoods, you will see Noodles is nothing but a complete piece of shit).

For all you people that applaud Leone for showing violence in a more realistic manner than the sanitized version of earlier Westerns (and later, Peckinpah for showing the bloody effects of a bullet hitting someone, etc.), why would you want a sanitized version of rape? The rape in OUATIA is probably one of the most realistic depictions of rape in a movie and to that extent, it should be applauded. That scene is awfully difficult to watch, but rape is even more awfully difficult for a rape victim to experience.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #11716 on: March 16, 2013, 07:15:38 PM »

I've seen OUATIA twice so far, the second time I watched it I skipped the rape scene. I'd probably skip it again the next time I watch it.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11717 on: March 16, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »

I'll probably have to read the hoods to understand more about Noodle's character and then go into OUATIA with that information in mind.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11718 on: March 16, 2013, 07:22:16 PM »

But back to the thread - Sorcerer (1977) - 3.5/5 stars.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11719 on: March 16, 2013, 09:26:02 PM »

I'll probably have to read the hoods to understand more about Noodle's character and then go into OUATIA with that information in mind.

The Hoods doesn't have all that much to do with OUATIA. the whole 1968 scenes were added, the book starts as a basis for the story but it's very very different

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11720 on: March 16, 2013, 09:28:12 PM »

What about the character of Noodles in the book?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11721 on: March 16, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »

What about the character of Noodles in the book?

most of the plot bases for the 1921 and 1933 scenes have a basis in the book, but there are significant differences. You will see when you read the STDWD chapter on OUATIA, that the screenplay may have started with the book, but underwent a lot of transformation over the many years it was planned. Leone recognized that the book was largely bullshit, and you will see that as soon as you read it; many of the stories are completely imagined. Leone's meeting with Grey, in which he realized this man was living in a state of dreams, mixing reality with fantasy, trying to make sense of his past, etc., convinced him to make the story about an elderly gangster returning to his old neighborhood and trying to make sense of his past -- even though The Hoods ends with Noodles' escape from New York in 1933.

You will feel no empathy at all with the narsator of the book (it's written in first-person), he is a scumnag. And btw, the gang was probably queer, especially Noodles and Max. Thank God the queer stuff was not carried over to the movie

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11722 on: March 16, 2013, 09:36:25 PM »

The Southerner (1945) 8/10

Zachary Scott never delivered a bad performance in his life

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:07:54 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11723 on: March 16, 2013, 09:38:05 PM »

Yeah...a Brokeback Mountain subplot in a Leone movie wouldn't work. Probably because "I don't find you men all that appealing".

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11724 on: March 16, 2013, 11:12:03 PM »

Rolling Thunder (1977) - 3/5 stars.

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11725 on: March 17, 2013, 05:46:46 AM »

Speed (1994) - 3.5/5 stars.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11726 on: March 17, 2013, 06:01:18 AM »

I just saw Fear (aka La Paura)(1954), the Rossellini film starring Ingrid Bergman.

The movie is real good all along, and then just completely falls apart at the end. The ending is absolutely awful. Just awful. This is not like Red River, where you could just say, the whole movie was so great, so even though the final scene is awful you could just forget about that. In the case of Fear, it's much more of a drama, the whole point is building up to the ending, and then it i such a bad letdown, you wonder what it was all for.

BTW, the movie is supposedly taking place in Germany, but it sounds totally like they are all speaking Italian. Am I wrong? Any Italians here see the movie? Aren't they speaking Italian? I can't speak Italian or German but when I hear someone speaking a language, I can tell if it's German or Italian, and this sure sounds like Italian to me.

What's the deal? Why are they speaking Italian if it's supposed to take place in Germany? Is it because the movie was made by Italians for an Italian audience, so they just speak Italian? (of course, so many American movies are made in English no matter where they are set, eg.   eg. Amadeus , which is supposedly taking place in Austria/Germany, is in English but that's because the movie has to take place in Austria/Germany, cuz that's where Mozart lived. But in the case of Fear, it just seems weird to me cuz there's really no particular reason why the movie needs to take place in Germany there is nothing particularly German about the story; so if the movie was really intended for an Italian audience and was going to be in Italian dialogue, there's really no reason why it had to take place in Germany with supposedly German characters. They barely even use any locations, it looks like it's almost all soundstages and backlots (yes, even though it's made by the neorealist Rossellini), so I don't see why there was any need to have the movie set in Germany if the dialogue is in Italian

SPOILER ALERT

So Bergman was cheating on her husband and being blackmailed over it, and going crazy; then she finds out that the girl who was blackmailing her  was put up to it by her husband for revenge; Bergman feels so ashamed that her husband found out about her affair and trying to screw with her over it, that she decides to kill herself over it; but as she is about to do so, he stops her and they fall into each other' arms, saying I'm sorry, I forgive you, we both made a mistake. whoopdydamndoo  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

So, the movie is narrated by Bergman telling us about this awful story that happened, and how she was trapped in this situation, it's done very well with this tension, building up to the big moment, and then......... she and her husband say I'm sorry we made a mistake, FINE - THE END.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

additionally, I think it was wrong to show that scene where the husband meets the blackmailer; IMO that gives away what is happening before it has to. It would have been better if we didn't find out about the truth until Bergman does, when the blackmailer tells her at that meting at the restaurant; and then the camera pans outside the window, where her husband is standing, so we know that it's true, the husband put the blackmailer up to it. There is no reason why we should have been told the truth before that scene.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 06:14:55 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #11727 on: March 17, 2013, 07:13:27 AM »

Broken (2012) - 8.5/10
"The story of a young girl in North London whose life changes after witnessing a violent attack." For the sake of you guys I hope this gets an American release. The strongest directorial feature debut I've seen for a long time.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11728 on: March 17, 2013, 08:13:55 AM »

Life of Pi - 8/10 - Ang Lee adapts Yann Martel's mystical novel with mostly good results. This movie functions best as a pure visual experience: never has CGI been better-employed in a movie. Nothing's especially realistic but it's far more immersive and absorbing than, say, Avatar. As visual storytelling the movie is first-rate, with 90 percent of the film focusing on the man on a boat with a tiger. Lee fudges things with a useless framing device, having Pi recount his story to a novelist. This ads nothing that a simple voice over wouldn't have done twice as well.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11729 on: March 17, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »

The Charge of the Light Brigade (1968) - 8/10 - 4th viewing. I feel compelled to up my rating after another rewatch.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM