Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 06:16:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1834255 times)
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #11745 on: March 20, 2013, 03:04:55 AM »

I remember reading that even the first confrontation between Manco and Mortimer in FDM had gay undertones. I think it was in Frayling's commentary on the DVD, critics at the time thought there was a hidden homosexual relationship between the two or something like that but what Leone was aiming at was constructing a brotherly male friendship - almost like a brother he never had due to being born a single child, like drinkanddestroy just mentioned.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:07:09 AM by Senza » Logged

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11746 on: March 20, 2013, 04:32:44 AM »

There was a reviewer on IMDB who wrote long reviews on how all of Leone's movies were homosexually based. He/she called DYS "flamboyantly gay" and I choked on my spit.

That's not an "observation" restricted to Leone unfortunately. Any movie that features male bonding or close friends means the protagonists are gay. These people a) spent too much time in film theory/lit classes or b) somehow don't understand the idea of heterosexual relationships. I guess all of their friends are of the opposite gender?

More broadly though, "serious" critics and film scholars often seem obsessed with sexuality period. Everything is sexual, whether a relationship, a prop or set decoration. Cineaste's recent review of Zero Dark Thirty claimed that Jessica Chastain's pursuit of OBL was sexual and that the final scene seemed "strikingly post-coital." This is some sort of bastard Freudianism that's really absurd and often pathetic.

Shame DJ isn't around to clear this up.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11747 on: March 20, 2013, 04:42:05 AM »

Cineaste's recent review of Zero Dark Thirty claimed that Jessica Chastain's pursuit of OBL was sexual and that the final scene seemed "strikingly post-coital."

Wow, just wow! srsly wtf, I'm not sure if I should be laughing

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11748 on: March 20, 2013, 04:44:35 AM »

I suppose James Stewart's character in Vertigo was a homosexual whose frustrations manifest themselves into an obsession with a woman, and maybe his fear of heights provides him with some sort of fetish or sexual pleasure.

Hell, even in Rear Window there's probably a homosexual tension between Stewart's character and Thorwald.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:59:38 AM by Senza » Logged

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11749 on: March 20, 2013, 04:49:17 AM »

Witness For The Prosecution (1957) - 3.5/5 stars...that ending.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11750 on: March 20, 2013, 05:47:46 AM »

well it is true that during the Production Code era, movies would have to depict sexuality (whether homo or hetero) implicitly rather than explicitly, so it's definitely reasonable to assume sexual undertones in some movies from that era, whereas today, the sexuality would be more explicit. However, so many people go way overboard. There are definitely some losers (including some from queer pressure groups who want to defile every piece of fine art they can) who read queer undertones into everything. Google the name of virtually any movie with the word "gay," and you will get numerous hits. Heck, for that matter, you can Google the name of just about actor and the word "gay," and you will find that he supposedly was bi-sexual. It would actually be quite a chore to find any movie or actor that some no-name critic or writer said is "gay" at one point or another.

I don't waste my time with that bullshit.

(With that said, it's kinda hard to attribute John Ireland and Monty Clit talking about each other's "guns" in Red River to pure innocence...)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11751 on: March 20, 2013, 08:49:42 AM »

Hell, even in Rear Window there's probably a homosexual tension between Stewart's character and Thorwald.

The blinding flash of the camera obviously symbolizes Stewart trying to mask his affections for Burr. Blind to the truth, as it were.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11752 on: March 20, 2013, 09:31:46 AM »

any man who declines a proposal by Grace Kelly can't be much of a man

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11753 on: March 20, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »

Why do you think Stewart sent Kelly over to "investigate"? He wanted to feel out Burr's sexuality! And boy did he reciprocate.

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11754 on: March 20, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »

Wow - http://cinetext.philo.at/magazine/wylie/masculine_gaze.pdf

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11755 on: March 20, 2013, 07:53:59 PM »

I did what drinkanddestroy said, I typed in "Rear Window gay" into google and got that.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11756 on: March 20, 2013, 08:03:26 PM »

It takes a decade of post-graduate study in Film Theory and Criticism to produce such insights.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11757 on: March 20, 2013, 08:20:29 PM »

haha, I just read the title of the article and about two sentences and decided not to waste my time with any of this shit. (btw, I just saw the other movie mentioned in the article, Antonioni's Blow Up. A good movie, but it's like surrealist/fantasy stuff.

as I said, you can find a  socially diseased cocksucker from some nefarious pressure group declaring every movie to be about "repressed homosexuality." The world would be a better place if they would all stuff a sausage in their mouth and choke on it.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11758 on: March 20, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »

Badlands (Blu-Ray) - 9/10
Criterion does their shit right. Incredible improvement from the older DVD.

As much as I love Thin Red Line and Tree of Life, I really wish Malick would go back to his more structurally conventional style for a film or two. I'm not as excited for To the Wonder as I would be for something sligthtly more plot-driven

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11759 on: March 21, 2013, 01:02:51 AM »

I'll stop with the gay shit but I just thought everyone would have a laugh at this - http://danhf.wordpress.com/2011/06/30/closeted-homosexuality-in-sergio-leones-films/ apparently all of Leone's films have gay undertones

Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM