Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 08:06:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760123 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11790 on: March 30, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »

You ARE a bright one, what?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11791 on: March 30, 2013, 11:20:27 PM »

Being in between jobs allowed me four movies today. A Groggy record or pretty close.

Salvatore Giuliano - 9/10 - Excellent film depicting Sicilian patriot/partisan/bandit Salvatore Giuliano's reign of terror (noble struggle?) in the late '40s. Its stark docudrama quality presages The Battle of Algiers, but Francesco Rosi proves better at studied objectivity than Pontecorvo. The question isn't whether Giuliano is a good guy (he's clearly more Al Capone than Robin Hood) but whether he answered to a higher authority. Indeed, the movie becomes most interesting in its second half, as convictions of Giuliano's surviving lieutenants dredge up evidence of police/Mafia complicity in his followers' massacre of Communists, and Giuliano's own demise. Featuring Frank Wolff as Giuliano's treacherous lieutenant.

Father Brown - 7/10 - Alec Guinness plays G.K. Chesterton's priest-detective, on the trail of master thief Peter Finch. Slight but fun comic thriller, with Guinness having a ball playing a holy nebbish.

The Cockleshell Heroes - 7/10 - Reckless Royal Marine commando Jose Ferrer (also director) joins stiff-necked Trevor Howard, assorted cheeky blokes to sabotage German shipping in Northern France. Typical "how I won the war" commando heroics with good action and nice color photography.

The Ghost and the Darkness - 4/10 - Two giant egos hunt man-eating lions in British East Africa. Starts out okay: gorgeous African scenery, robust Jerry Goldsmith score, tolerable Val Kilmer, a few decent attack scenes. But everything derails with the entrance of Michael Douglas, a swaggering, half-crazed, scenery-chewing nutcase. Also, he plays a hunter. This character is monstrously ill-conceived: introduced paraphrasing Dirty Harry, he's posited as an unstoppable badass when he's really a pathetic, greasy load. Douglas is emblematic of William Goldman's asinine script, mixing the worst of '30s serial mentality (Tom Wilkinson's railroad boss literally tells Kilmer he enjoys torturing his employees) and modern PC posturing (John Kani's modern Man Friday, cracking jokes with Kilmer and Douglas like a frat brother). Recommended for fans of mediocre Jaws retreads.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:22:16 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11792 on: March 31, 2013, 06:55:25 AM »

Deliverance (1972) 8.5/10 (blu ray)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #11793 on: April 01, 2013, 05:17:25 AM »

The French Connection (1971) - 4/5 stars

The French Connection II (1975) - 4.5/5 stars

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11794 on: April 03, 2013, 01:51:08 AM »

The Place Beyond The Pines 4/10

Pointless story, bad dialogues, good acting, interesting camerawork. I have no problem with swishing main characters as many time as you want in a movie, but this is something that has to be done right (see: Psycho). It is very, very badly done here, utterly uninvolving. The lost youth theme is not treated (they're just lost and dumb, with no reason). Also, I'm not a  fan of this kind of subject: I don't believe that identity is mainly shaped by genetics. That's some dangerous ideology if you ask me.
Gosling is playing exactly his Drive character, but he's more of a loser.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:52:20 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11795 on: April 03, 2013, 04:22:46 AM »

The King Of Comedy (1983) - 3/5 stars

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11796 on: April 03, 2013, 06:16:28 AM »

The Place Beyond The Pines 4/10

Pointless story, bad dialogues, good acting, interesting camerawork. I have no problem with swishing main characters as many time as you want in a movie, but this is something that has to be done right (see: Psycho). It is very, very badly done here, utterly uninvolving. The lost youth theme is not treated (they're just lost and dumb, with no reason). Also, I'm not a  fan of this kind of subject: I don't believe that identity is mainly shaped by genetics. That's some dangerous ideology if you ask me.
Gosling is playing exactly his Drive character, but he's more of a loser.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I've been kind of avoiding this one--and now I'll continue to do so.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11797 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:05 AM »

Laserblast - 1/10 - Great MST3K fodder, terrible otherwise.

The Tall T - 8/10 - Another solid Budd Boetticher Western.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11798 on: April 03, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »

Battle Taxi (1955) 6.5/10

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11799 on: April 03, 2013, 12:31:58 PM »

Battle Taxi (1955) 6.5/10

agreed

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11800 on: April 03, 2013, 12:38:02 PM »

Deception (1946) Noir-ish classical music world women's melodrama, good performances by Bette Davis, Paul Henreid, and Claude Rains with lavish sets and nice score.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11801 on: April 03, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »

agreed

there's not much of a story, and the splicing in of the actual footage is very sloppy and is so obvious due to the significant difference in quality.

But it's a tight little movie that moves nicely and has some nice war footage, both real and simulated, so it's a decent enough way to spend 80 minutes

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11802 on: April 03, 2013, 08:26:17 PM »

Black Jesus - 6/10 - Woody Strode stars in this Italian anti-colonial drama, about a Patrice Lumumba manque imprisoned, tortured and executed by a Belgian-backed African dictator. Violent, stilted and heavy on religious metaphor and position speeches; it's mainly of interest seeing Strode stretching his dramatic chops. He's very good.

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11803 on: April 03, 2013, 11:57:08 PM »

Dr. Strangelove Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb (1964) - 3/5 stars

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11804 on: April 04, 2013, 09:26:03 PM »

Ride Lonesome - 9/10 - 3rd viewing. Upping my rating after a third watch.

Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM