Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 05:24:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1829924 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11820 on: April 10, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »

Le quai des brumes - Port of Shadows (1938)

Storyline IMDb
Jean, a deserter who arrives at night in Le Havre, looking to leave the country. He lucks into civilian clothes, a little bit of money, a passport, and a dog, and he also meets Nelly, a 17-year-old who's grown up too fast. She's the object of lust of men: including a boyfriend Maurice, her putative protector Zabel, and Lucien, a local hood. Jean falls for her, faces down Lucien, and gives her courage to stand on her own feet. A ship is leaving for Venezuela; can at least one of them be on it, or is that just a dream?  9/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11821 on: April 10, 2013, 02:42:29 PM »

Le quai des brumes - Port of Shadows (1938)

Storyline IMDb
Jean, a deserter who arrives at night in Le Havre, looking to leave the country. He lucks into civilian clothes, a little bit of money, a passport, and a dog, and he also meets Nelly, a 17-year-old who's grown up too fast. She's the object of lust of men: including a boyfriend Maurice, her putative protector Zabel, and Lucien, a local hood. Jean falls for her, faces down Lucien, and gives her courage to stand on her own feet. A ship is leaving for Venezuela; can at least one of them be on it, or is that just a dream?  9/10

This gets a 10/10; but for the ending, it is a perfect movie (but I guess that sort of ending is required for the Poetic Realism school)
 http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg164348#msg164348

there is something insanely beautiful about Michele Morgan and the way she is photographed.

And Panama's pub, is that an insanely awesome place or what?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11822 on: April 10, 2013, 08:27:46 PM »

This gets a 10/10; but for the ending, it is a perfect movie (but I guess that sort of ending is required for the Poetic Realism school)
 http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg164348#msg164348

there is something insanely beautiful about Michele Morgan and the way she is photographed.

And Panama's pub, is that an insanely awesome place or what?

Le quai des brumes (Port of Shadows – France 1938): Poetic Realism
BY TONY D'AMBRA – OCTOBER 25, 2009

The fog of angst seeps from the faces of two doomed lovers in the dank gloom of Le Havre. Jean is on the run and Nelly is trapped in a psychic prison as real as the physical constraints on her existence. Happiness is something that may exist but neither knows it.

They meet by chance one night in a broken-down bar on the waterfront amongst the detritus of an ephemeral humanity. Panama’s is a haven for the down-and-out named for the hat of the publican, an old shaman with a rusted soul as deep as the canal he visited in his youth. Father confessor of a convent for lost souls. He keeps his counsel, asks no questions, and strums his guitar.

And everywhere the fog and the harbor with rusting hulks at anchor ever-waiting transport for deliverance. The two lovers stroll as tentative friends with a hope as forlorn as it is sublime, when a bright clarity intrudes, a hood with a malice as sharp as his clothes and his shave, and as evil as his cowardice.

A night of bliss follows. Jean and Nelly find love at a sea-side carnival and that elusive union we all seek – in a rented room. They keep missing pernicious Fate a drunken vagabond. The glory of a new dawn is soon shattered. They each leave alone. Fate occupies the sheets of last night’s passion, and they are lost.

“Kiss me. We don’t have much time.”

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11823 on: April 10, 2013, 08:52:03 PM »

Woman On The Beach, The (1947) a triangle involving a Coast Guardsman (Robert Ryman), a blind painter (Charlesd Bickford) and his wife (Joan Bennett) 6/10

Born To Be Bad (1950) Joan Fontaine fools everyone with her sweet exterior including her cousin Donna and Donna's wealthy fiancée Zachary Scott . The only one who sees through her facade is Robert Ryan, a rugged writer who loves her anyway.  6.5/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11824 on: April 10, 2013, 10:53:19 PM »

Born To Be Bad (1950) Joan Fontaine fools everyone with her sweet exterior including her cousin Donna and Donna's wealthy fiancée Zachary Scott . The only one who sees through her facade is Robert Ryan, a rugged writer who loves her anyway.  6.5/10

Fontaine is really good here (as always). I'd go a little higher on this one, I'd give it a 7/10

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:38:05 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11825 on: April 11, 2013, 03:41:10 AM »

Fracture (2007) 8.5/10

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:42:40 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11826 on: April 11, 2013, 06:54:08 AM »

Born To Be Bad (1950) Joan Fontaine fools everyone with her sweet exterior including her cousin Donna and Donna's wealthy fiancée Zachary Scott . The only one who sees through her facade is Robert Ryan, a rugged writer who loves her anyway.  6.5/10
Did you see the complete version where, after her accident, Fontaine romances her doctor (thus breaking up his marriage) and thus furthering her own noteriety, which in turn allows Mel Ferrer to put an even higher price on her portrait? Also, the scene showing Zachary Scott getting back together with Donna?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11827 on: April 11, 2013, 07:12:43 AM »

The People Against O'Hara (1951) what I saw of it looked good (Alton's cinematography) but I fell asleep,  will have to rewatch.
Saw this on Turner a couple years back, but spun the Warner Archive disc last night. Wow, what photography! The plot isn't bad, either. Spencer Tracy plays a well-respected lawyer who is nontheless over the hill but doesn't realize it. Unwisely, he defends a client in a high-profile murder case and has to go up against hotshot ADA John Hodiak. Tracy starts out strong but is soon in over his head. In a moment of weakness . . . well, I wouldn't want to spoil it. Two-thirds the way through the picture changes tack, which, though not very plausible, I thought was all to the good and kept things interesting. The film moves along at a good clip, covering a lot of plot in a short amount of time (a Warner hallmark). The doll who played Tracy's daughter was a real cutey.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11828 on: April 11, 2013, 09:57:09 AM »

Saturday Night Fever - 8/10

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11829 on: April 11, 2013, 03:16:26 PM »

Did you see the complete version where, after her accident, Fontaine romances her doctor (thus breaking up his marriage) and thus furthering her own noteriety, which in turn allows Mel Ferrer to put an even higher price on her portrait? Also, the scene showing Zachary Scott getting back together with Donna?

I saw this - the scene showing Zachary Scott getting back together with Donna but not the other.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11830 on: April 12, 2013, 12:57:59 AM »

The Lincoln Lawyer (2011) 8.5/10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11831 on: April 12, 2013, 04:59:34 PM »

OBLIVION (2013) - 2.5/5

---

Dull script, although it contains a few good ideas. Also, it is dull as hell when it tries to get emotional. And stop casting Tom Cruise: he's a good actor, but he can't be a good guy anymore. Appart from the action scenes, no one take this guy seriously anymore.

+++

It looks gorgeous: it looks better than Prometheus. Very very well shot. Incredible cinematography. No shaky cam. Good begining. Great design. Great sets and costumes (appart from the guys in black). Great fake technology, great fake ergonomic, great fake processes. The first action scene rocks. The first shot of the movie, that comes back quite a few times, is stunning: how the hell can they do this with (almost) black and white in a place that looks like shit in real life (the top of the Empire Building), i'm overly jealous.

Special Jenkins note:

The sountracks is 20 years late. If you like Hans Zimmer's pre-gladiator work, you'll love it. If you have some taste, you'll hate it.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:01:51 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11832 on: April 13, 2013, 06:01:14 AM »

Hmmmm . . . . I'm thinking maybe on this one I'll . . . pass?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11833 on: April 13, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »

La Terra Trema - 8/10 - I'd probably give this a 9 if it weren't for the hectoring narration that adds nothing not self-evident from the rest of the movie. Very grim, long but involving neorealist epic about Sicilian fishermen.

Saturday nights with Groggy
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11834 on: April 13, 2013, 09:21:49 AM »

"ain't in it for my health" ( a film about Levon helm ) watching Levon create his first album in 25 years
Starting with the image of a tour bus warming its engine in the stillness of an empty lot, this haunting, personal portrait of music legend Levon Helm evokes the mood of a lifetime spent on the road
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi81372697/    Afro

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:27:09 AM by sargatanas » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM