Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:55:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1840230 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11850 on: April 15, 2013, 01:40:08 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1445520/?ref_=sr_1

Footnote (2011) 6.5/10

An Israeli film that was Oscar-nominated as Best Foreign Language Film of the year; at Cannes, it won Best Screenplay and was nominated for the Palme D'or. I did not find the story to be very interesting, and that's why I didn't rate the movie very highly. So IMO, the screenplay is the weakest part of the movie.

The story is about a father and son who are university professors of Talmud; the father gets no public credit for his work, while the son is famous and constantly being awarded prizes and honors and promotions. The father is very biter, until one day he finally gets a phone call call that he has been awarded the prestigious Israel Prize. He is finally happy, and the son is very happy for the father too.

SLIGHT SPOILER BETWEEN THE LINES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then the son learns that the father was mistakenly phoned about winning the Israel Prize by a careless secretary; in fact, it was the son who was chosen as the recipient of the Prize. The committee wants to tell the father that he really has not won the prize, but the son starts a big fight with them to allow the father to indeed get the prize.  

Don't worry, here is a LOT more to the story, so even if you read this, it's not really "spoiled"  Wink

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't sympathize with a character who is embittered cuz he feels he hasn't gotten credit for his work, and can't even enjoy his own son's success. The part about the family drama/rivalry can be interesting, but I just didn't feel the slightest sympathy for the bitter father.

So, I didn'f find the story interesting; however, the movie was done pretty well and the acting was absolutely amazing (although there were 3 things I didn't like about how the movie was done: A)  the chapter headings as in Vivre Se Vie; B) is a montage with text  listing "A few things worth knowing" about the two main characters; and C) I think the ending was a cop-out).

The acting is INCREDIBLE, up and down the line.

Roger Ebert, who gave the film 4/4 stars, called the film "one of the smartest and most merciless comedies to come along in a while." http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/footnote-2012
 IMO this is a Drama. IMDB lists is as both drama and comedy, and the music does make it somewhat lighthearted, but other than the music this seems to me to be a Drama.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:41:15 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11851 on: April 15, 2013, 08:04:36 AM »

a disgusting race. I don't know if I have ever seen anything more repulsive in my life. I'd rather have spent the two hours looking at Paula Jones in Penthouse as long as her legs and pits were shaven

You like that pre pubescent look in women huh?  Shocked

Nice review from IMDb

Restored ! with nudity!, 19 June 2005

Author: ptb-8 from Australia

THE AGE OF CONSENT made in 1969 on Dunk Island of the great barrier (coral) reef was quite a success in Australia in its day. Apparently though it was heavily cut Internationally with some nude scenes deleted and the first 10 minutes shortened. Well the planet can now rejoice because a carefully restored complete version is now available and has had a premiere screening in Sydney in the magnificent 2300 seat State Theatre as part of the 2005 Sydney Film Festival. It will appear Internationally in festivals and then on DVD for all to savor. The story is by Norman Lindsay, a world renowned artists whose bacchanalian paintings of luscious nude sirens have caused erotic reactions (good and bad) for over 100 years. (See the film SIRENS)..... THE AGE OF CONSENT details an artist (here called Bradley Morrison) similar to Lindsay, played by a fit and tanned James Mason who travels to tropical isolation in an attempt to regain his artist eye. He does of course with the form of shapely nude teenage island muse, Cora: Helen Mirrenin her first voluptuous role. There is so much to enjoy in THE AGE OF CONSENT from Mason and Mirren's balanced careful performances to the secondary characters, mainly in the form of spectacular handsome and virile 24 year old Harold Hopkins, an Australian actor in one of his first appearances. He has been unjustly ignored in this film's reputation and it is time to celebrate his appearance (as the spunky gauche youth, Ted) and recognize his astonishing good looks and hilarious turn trying to be Cora's boyfriend. Ten years ahead of Mel Gibson and far better looking, fitter and far more screen presence. Unfortunately his film career did not succeed as well. Today, Hopkins is not well known and looks more like Andy Warhol. Celebrated Brit director Michael Powell whose comedy THEY'RE A WEIRD MOB was a massive local success in 1966 turned his adept hand to this romantic tropical artistic fruit salad with generally very enjoyable results. Certain sequences just between Mirren and Mason are so effective that the viewer is left with the extraordinary feeling of having actually been there with them that day on the beach. Sadly this was Powell's last film in a career lasting over 30 years producing endurable classics in both the UK and Oz. Subplots involving Mason's racing pal who pesters him for cash and follows him about, to Cora's hag-like granny who berates her beauty are overplayed and create pantomime, but this is a small detraction from what is a generally astonishingly visually beautiful romantic drama of loneliness and artistic endeavor. The color photography, I was thrilled to learn, was achieved by duplicating the original Technicolour method of a three reel tint (YCM) on black and white stock then matching all three to create a color negative. As I marveled at the sublime color of this restored print I had wondered how it was so perfect. An after-film Q&A segment revealed this color film(ed) method and I am happy to pass on this important piece of tech info. THE AGE OF CONSENT is a film of its time but also with content explicit and exquisite for a new century audience. If one gets the opportunity to see this restored version, it contains visual delights and location atmosphere captured carefully and restored lovingly that transfers to the viewer with humorous ease. Yes Mirren has hairy legs and Mason doesn't wear underpants and the lesser characters are Aussie parrots..but that's part of the story! Enjoy THE AGE OF CONSENT. It is a film of which Helen Mirren today would be especially so proud...as would Harold Hopkins. One scene where Cora wistfully buys herself a cheap children's plastic handbag at the local store is genuinely touching depicting her lonely wish to own something 'nice'. The delusion and loneliness captured perfectly for this beautiful sad girl stuck in paradise but without real appreciation (except for Mason). The opening scene is now hilarious with a risqué painting of the Columbia woman Logo as part of a provocative art exhibition.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11852 on: April 15, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »

You like that pre pubescent look in women huh?  Shocked

No, I am not a pedophile who likes little girls that can't  grow any body hair.

I like adults, who are of age to grow body hair but who are aware of the inventions of a razor,  wax and electrolysis

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11853 on: April 15, 2013, 10:14:12 AM »

I like adults, who are of age to grow body hair but who are aware of the inventions of a razor,  wax and electrolysis
So that means that before those inventions women were unattractive to men, which is why they couldn't find partners, which is why the human race died out millennia ago? I love listening to the ravings of the culture-bound.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11854 on: April 15, 2013, 10:27:26 AM »

So that means that before those inventions women were unattractive to men, which is why they couldn't find partners, which is why the human race died out millennia ago? I love listening to the ravings of the culture-bound.

so that means you are assuming what I WOULD HAVE liked when I WOULD HAVE been a cave man?

1969 was not that long ago.

I also saw an Italian film Riso Amaro from 1949 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040737/ where the lead actress wears slleeveless shirts all the time and has some wild pits. Did they really consider it okay then?
so 50 or 60 years ago, say a woman is getting dressed to go for a nice dinner. She puts on a modest but attractive dress that is strapless or has very short sleeves and generous in showing her chest. Then she heads to the mirror, where she will bend her head forward as she straightens her hair, close her eyes as she curls her lashes, wince momentarily as she tweeze her brows, before lifting up her arms and brush her pits  to ensure not a hair is out of place, before heading out the door to her hot date? Of course, said dress nice is sure to leave her plenty of space top show off her calves, visible through a moderate layer of leg hair that she chose not to shave off despite the razor having been already been invented by Biblical times?HuhHuhHuhHuhRoll Eyes

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11855 on: April 15, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »

For a film like Age of Consent you have to consider set and setting, it wouldn't make sense for Cora to be "shaved".

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #11856 on: April 15, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »

so that means you are assuming what I WOULD HAVE liked when I WOULD HAVE been a cave man?

1969 was not that long ago.

I also saw an Italian film Riso Amaro from 1949 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040737/ where the lead actress wears slleeveless shirts all the time and has some wild pits. Did they really consider it okay then?
so 50 or 60 years ago, say a woman is getting dressed to go for a nice dinner. She puts on a modest but attractive dress that is strapless or has very short sleeves and generous in showing her chest. Then she heads to the mirror, where she will bend her head forward as she straightens her hair, close her eyes as she curls her lashes, wince momentarily as she tweeze her brows, before lifting up her arms and brush her pits  to ensure not a hair is out of place, before heading out the door to her hot date? Of course, said dress nice is sure to leave her plenty of space top show off her calves, visible through a moderate layer of leg hair that she chose not to shave off despite the razor having been already been invented by Biblical times?HuhHuhHuhHuhRoll Eyes
This one of the top 10 weirdest discussions ever on this board. I'm sure CJ and DJ will be glad to tell you how long ago 1969 was exactly.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11857 on: April 15, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »

This one of the top 10 weirdest discussions ever on this board. I'm sure CJ and DJ will be glad to tell you how long ago 1969 was exactly.

exactly. I am grossed out by seeing a chick with hairy legs n' pits in a movie from 44 years ago, and dj starts talking about what I would do if I had lived a thousand years ago.

They had razors a thousand years ago. But I am not even thinking about that. Just 1969. They had razors then. Even jungle girls like the Helen Mirren character would have a had a razor. They weren't exactly wiping their asses on leaves there in The Great Barrier Reef

or even 1949, when Riso Amaro was made. (It was a great movie), but check out this awful shot at 1:31 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5FFNmKg7cY

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:32:25 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11858 on: April 15, 2013, 01:27:39 PM »

I really didn't want to be involved in this fascinating discussion but jus tafter I closed this window, the very next site I opened was Cracked.com. And what do I find on the homepage?

There were a handful of upper-class women with a desire to remove superfluous hair on the face, but no one had any desire whatsoever to remove the hair from their armpits or legs, especially considering the fact that the fashions of the day didn't generally bare much skin. But that all changed when advertisements such as the Milady Decollete Gillette page in Harper's Bazaar showed a woman with hairless armpits. These advertisements, which collectively have been awesomely dubbed "The Great Underarm Campaign," are what you guys can thank for your smooth female companions, and what you ladies can thank for the only self-harm habit that won't have your loved ones booting you off to a psychiatrist.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20324_5-basic-facts-life-were-made-up-by-marketing-campaigns.html#ixzz2QYtNTbUc

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11859 on: April 15, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »

maybe in 50 years from now we'll look back on 2013 -- when most women don't worry about shaving the hair on their arms, especially if it's not that thick -- and say "OMG I can't imagine what those disgusting people were thinking: hair on women's arms??!!  Grin

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:00:20 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11860 on: April 16, 2013, 12:18:46 AM »

yes it definitely is weird to see certain people wondering what could possibly be wrong with hairy legs & pits.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11861 on: April 16, 2013, 12:21:39 AM »

Bright Leaf (1950) 7/10

some of you won't like this one; there were no naked chicks with hairy legs n pits

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11862 on: April 17, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »

To the Wonder - 7/10
It's no Badlands, Days of Heaven, Thin Red Line, or Tree of Life. But still good. Malick haters/skeptics, STAY AWAY. FAR, FAR AWAY.

Fox and the Hound - 7

Bambi - 6

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11863 on: April 17, 2013, 08:29:55 PM »

The Horse Soldiers - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. See pertinent thread.

Carousel - 7/10 - One of the best Broadway musicals becomes a slightly-better-than-mediocre movie. The main problem is Henry King's direction, a stiff parade of master shots and phony sets. There's zero imagination in the staging or choreography and the film suffers accordingly. But the show's brilliant music still shines through (love You'll Never Walk Alone), and Gordon McRae and Shirley Jones are endearing (with Cameron Mitchell as a slimy villain - what else?).

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11864 on: April 18, 2013, 05:32:39 AM »

Arbitrage (2012) 9/10

Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM