Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 02:40:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1842155 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11880 on: April 19, 2013, 06:29:19 PM »

The key learning is that if a movie stars Paul Scofield and still sucks, it must be bad. See also Scorpio.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11881 on: April 19, 2013, 10:17:12 PM »

Crazy Stupid Love - 7/10 - This was two-thirds a great movie: nice relationship dramedy with credible characters, likeable stars and good writing. Steve Carrel is hilarious, Julianne Moore more or less plays straight woman, but Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone come off best: their aborted one night stand is the film's highpoint. The last third gets into very predictable romcom territory, with an egregious twist that wasn't even hinted at, let alone built up to, sitcom misunderstandings and a cloying finale. Unlike Silver Linings Playbook they didn't seem organic to the story or characters, just the flailing of a frustrated screenwriter. Regardless, I'll be generous and give it a 7/10.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11882 on: April 20, 2013, 10:27:50 PM »

Rock of Ages - 1/10 - Irredeemably cynical shit. Granted, I was expecting it to suck (musicals operating on the karaoke principle are DOA), but I was actively offended at its unbridled contempt for the audience. Tom Cruise and Catherine Zeta-Jones sing Foreigner and Pat Benatar, '80s babies buy tickets because they're nostalgic for their callow youth. Ignore the story out of a cereal box, the vapid leads (Julianne Hough is pretty and a decent singer; cannot act to save her life) and bad covers of overplayed rock ballads. Can we please have a moratorium on Don't Stop Believin'? With a cast that includes Alec Baldwin, Russel Brand, Malin Akerman, Bryan Cranston and Paul Giamatti you might expect some fun, if only by accident, but you'd be wrong. Okay, Baldwin and Brand coming out to I Can't Fight This Feeling inspired a chuckle. Everything else is dead air.

The Five-Year Engagement - I made it about halfway through. When Emily Blunt got shot with the crossbow I finally tuned out.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World - 6(?)/10 - I fully expected to hate this movie, but it turned out... better than expected. The comic book/video game artificiality didn't grab me but it wasn't as cloying as I'd feared. The non-Michael Cera cast helped a lot: Mary Elizabeth Winstead is a babe, Kieran Culkin surprisingly funny, and I enjoyed spotting Alison Pill (in between watching episodes of The Newsroom), Mae Whitman (The Perks of Being a Wallflower), Anna Kendrick (the Twilight babe) and Jason Schwartzman. And it's funny. A rewatch might enhance my enjoyment, since I'll know what I'm getting into.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:29:33 PM by Groggy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11883 on: April 21, 2013, 12:06:36 AM »

THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES (2013) 8/10.   walkin outta the theater now. Will discuss more when i get home and to a computer. This is a good movie :-)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11884 on: April 21, 2013, 05:46:31 AM »

Requiem For A Heavyweight on a re-watch 10/10 picked up the DVD for half price sale at B&N  http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7752.0

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:05:05 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11885 on: April 21, 2013, 09:28:46 AM »

Studio Canal has recently released a pair of blu-rays of restored films, both by the creative team of Losey/Pinter/Bogarde, both with music by John Dankworth. The first is in black-and-white, the second in color (or, if you prefer, colour).

The Servant (1963). Yes, the callow young master (in this case, James Fox) and the scheming servant (here, Dirk Bogarde): a situation as old as Greek drama. Add to this the master’s imperious fiancée (Wendy Craig). Yes, the battle over who will control the young man begins. Good, good. Enter the tramp (Sarah Miles, Fox’s girlfriend at the time). Fine. But then . . . the fiancée takes a powder? What? Servant and tramp also depart and the young man descends into endless self-pity. Huh? And then the servant comes back (OK), and it’s double portions of self-pity all around (not-so OK). And then the tramp comes back (why?). And then the fiancée comes back (why?) And then there’s a (not very convincing) orgy.  Hmm, the film certainly seems to go wrong somewhere. Great photography, though. 6/10.

Accident (1967) They were all in it: Anna (Jacqueline Sassard); Charley (Stanley Baker); William (Michael York); Rosalind (Vivien Merchant); the kids (Themselves); and the leading man (Dirk Bogarde). That summer in Oxford. They were all part of it. Then Joseph Losey whispered, “Action.” And it began. It was late. The don was working. There was . . . an accident. And a flashback.  A very long one. The cast spoke the words Harold Pinter had written. Just like this. Then they stopped. The camera pulled back and there was a . . . sound effect. They came together that summer: Jacqueline and Stanley; Michael and Vivien; Dirk, Harold and Joe. And the kids. In Oxford. They made . . . a film. Then after many years there was . . . the restoration. And a blu-ray. Eight out of ten . . . I suppose.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11886 on: April 21, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »

Accident is fantastic. 10/10

The Servant goes on too long in the last third. Still 8,5/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11887 on: April 21, 2013, 09:54:27 AM »

Accident is fantastic. 10/10

The Servant goes on too long in the last third. Still 8,5/10
I agree that The Servant goes on too long and that Accident is the better of the two films.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11888 on: April 21, 2013, 12:34:46 PM »

6/10 for The Servant? Boo Jenkins.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11889 on: April 21, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »

Don't "Boo" me. Losey is the one who started shooting before he had an ending.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11890 on: April 21, 2013, 03:04:08 PM »

Savages (2012) - 0/10 - No. Just, no. Don't watch it.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11891 on: April 21, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »

Magnolia ?/10

3rd viewing? Still feeling the same about it. Individual scenes range from good to great (apart from the aged opening with its terrible voice-over... am I missing something on this voice over or is it really terrible?), but the film doesn't go anywhere. And not going anywhere for 3 hours is a long ride. I'll watch it again and again in the future, just not every year. Oh and it's Tom Cruise's best role by very, very, very far.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but the extended shots are brilliant. For those interested, here is a great video and it's transcript analyzing one extended shot per PTA's movie: http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/features/video-steadicam-progress-career-paul-thomas-anderson-five
Makes me go out and make movies.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11892 on: April 22, 2013, 05:11:46 AM »

None But the Brave - 4/10 - Frank Sinatra maroons an American and Japanese platoon on a Pacific island and forces them to get along. I loved this as a kid, maybe because of its atypical approach to WWII. Watching it now it's hard to ignore how phony the whole set up is. World War II in the Pacific Theater is about the last place you'd look for tolerance and understanding between enemy combatants (maybe a Nazi-Soviet love fest would top it) so it's impossible to buy into the premise, even on an allegorical level. Plus Old Blue Eyes ain't much of a director: sloppy action scenes, indifferent photography, bad performances (could Tommy Sands be more obnoxious?). Naturally we end with a plea for pacifism which would be more touching if it weren't for the two hours of "exciting" war violence preceding it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11893 on: April 23, 2013, 10:14:11 AM »

Miracle (2004) 9/10

How do you re-create what is generally considered in America to perhaps the greatest moment in American team sports, and the greatest upset ever? It's not easy. Cuz everyone (above a certain age) knows the story. Also, it's a Disney movie, which IMO probably causes some bias in the minds of viewers before they even start watching (come on, a Disney film is a kid's film..) This is not a kid's film. This is a damn good film. And for me, Kurt Russell delivers one of the great performances in screen history.

I can see how somebody can say this is cliche'd or whatnot, and I wouldn't necessarily argue with that. But there is something about this story that pulls you in. And Russell is a joy to watch. I never heard the real Herb Brooks so I don't know whether the accent is a good mimic or not. What I do know is that Russell is awesome.

I wasn't yet born in 1980, so never saw the actual events. Of course, I heard about it growing up, and I have seen the video clip of the last 5 seconds many times (Al Michaels's call "Do you believe in miracles? Yesss!!" is probably the 2nd most famous sports call in American sports history. [A cookie to whomever can name the most famous]). But that's all; I never knew any details, except that we upset the big bad Rooskies in middle of the Cold War. It was when this movie was first released that i started reading some more details about this game. And yes, it was more than just a game.

I didn't love the hockey action here. I don't like how they shot almost exclusively up in your face, rather than showing at least some wide shots of the ice like you would see on a normal tv broadcast. The hockey action wasn't all that convincing. To be fair, they had to re-create actual plays that happened; and I have never seen the video of the actual full game, and in general I have never watched college hockey players, only NHL players; maybe that's why these guys look slow and unconvincing to me. But the hockey action wasn't all that convincing to me. (the actors, btw, were all hockey players. Once they passed a hockey audition, they were allowed to audition for a part.

Kurt Russell is incredible here. Just incredible.

p.s. The jersey worn by USA captain Mike Eruzione in that game against the Soviets sold at auction 2 months ago for $657,250. A shitload of other stuff was sold for a shitload of money at the same auction http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/8979249/mike-eruzione-jersey-miracle-ice-sells-almost-660k

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:19:41 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11894 on: April 23, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »

Magnolia ?/10

3rd viewing? Still feeling the same about it. Individual scenes range from good to great (apart from the aged opening with its terrible voice-over... am I missing something on this voice over or is it really terrible?), but the film doesn't go anywhere. And not going anywhere for 3 hours is a long ride. I'll watch it again and again in the future, just not every year. Oh and it's Tom Cruise's best role by very, very, very far.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but the extended shots are brilliant. For those interested, here is a great video and it's transcript analyzing one extended shot per PTA's movie: http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/features/video-steadicam-progress-career-paul-thomas-anderson-five
Makes me go out and make movies.
I like the opening narration - and I love that whole sequence. From the opening frames to the end of the character introductions is one of PTA's best sequence as a filmmaker thus far, up there with the Boogie Nights drug deal and the first processing session in The Master.

I think this is PTA's best movie. Maybe. Or Boogie Nights. Or The Maste. One of those. Either way, this is the fastest 3-hour movie film ever made. Flies by. I swear it's actually only two hours long, at most.

It does include his worst scene ever as a writer/director though. Actually, I fucking loathe it. I forget it's in the movie every damn time I watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_phQnNE80

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 03:03:38 PM by rrpower » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM