Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 01:23:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768152 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11970 on: May 14, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »

Ha!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11971 on: May 14, 2013, 03:20:40 PM »

Cheers RR, that gave me a chuckle. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11972 on: May 18, 2013, 06:41:01 AM »

Journey to Italy [Voyage to Italy] / Viaggio in Italia (1954) - 3/10. DCP. English-language version. George Sanders and Ingrid Bergman play a couple having marital problems on a trip to Naples, where they've gone to sell a villa (how nice for them). The dialogue is often risible--it's as if someone had written it all originally in another language and then had it translated into English (hmmm). The touristy shots of museums, churches, lava beds, and the (pre-Floyd) ruins of Pompeii are charming, but hardly the stuff of drama. And why we should care about this tiresome old couple in never explained. Oh well, this wasn't the only time that fraud Rossellini put one over on the art-house crowd. Criterion Blu-ray on the way!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11973 on: May 18, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »

Iron Man 3 - 6/10 - The first Iron Man was a pleasant surprise. The second was a solid follow-up. The third is a disposable retread. Most of its virtues come through Robert Downey Jr., who's still fully engaged with his character; no cashing a paycheck and running for this guy. Too bad about the rest of the cast, which (besides the hilarious Ben Kingsley) is completely flat and forgettable, especially the kid who seems like a refugee from a lesser Spielberg flick. It's still enjoyable until the last third, when it becomes a blur of repetitive action that could be C&P'd from any other summer blockbuster of the last 10-15 years. So it goes.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:01:11 PM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11974 on: May 18, 2013, 06:15:49 PM »

Iron Man 3 - 6/10 - It's still enjoyable until the last third, when it becomes a blur of repetitive action that could be C&P'd from any other summer blockbuster of the last 10-15 years.
Did someone just say, "Container cargo set piece"?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11975 on: May 18, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »

I noticed that the director/writer was the guy who penned the first two Lethal Weapon movies. That explains a lot.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11976 on: May 19, 2013, 08:29:40 AM »

Sunset Blvd. - 9/10 - 3rd viewing I think.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11977 on: May 19, 2013, 08:55:37 PM »

Madame de . . . (1953) Max Ophuls. A woman pawns a pair of earrings, a wedding gift from her husband, and they keep coming back to her. Each time the earrings gain significance, until by the end of the film they are literally religious icons. This is a film in which the tragic lovers end up dying for Love—but not necessarily for love of each other. Ophuls, famous for his moving camera, actually gets it to waltz with his characters here. Plot, performances, mise-en-scene: all first-rate. Surely, this is Ophul’s masterpiece. 5/5

Blu-ray: http://www.criterion.com/films/571-the-earrings-of-madame-de

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11978 on: May 20, 2013, 03:05:03 AM »

Madame de ... is one of the outstanding films pre 1960.  One of my 50 favourite movies. Ophüls was fantastic.

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11979 on: May 20, 2013, 04:10:24 AM »

Johnny cool ~ awesome hitman Vegas flick staring Henry Silva,  the one man Leone never got, the very first antihero
talkin ratpack Sargent of arms http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057200/  he's a murder machine ( pumps mort saul w/ hot led where the sun don't shine : ouch )  Shocked a bad bitch. exterior shots of ' 63 Vegas awesomely awesome. telly salavas BEFORE shaved head ! pick up on johnny cool @ netflix and be forwarned, Elizabeth Montgomery way before she was twitchin something else other than her nose.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:00:21 AM by sargatanas » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11980 on: May 20, 2013, 05:00:34 AM »

"Thérèse Raquin" The Adultress (1953) only saw part of this will have to re watch. No rating yet.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11981 on: May 20, 2013, 05:43:12 AM »

Just saw Blue Valentine (2010)

Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams both give brilliant performances here.

That movie is done very well for what it is, but it is way too artsy for me. If you like artsy shit, you'll love this.

I mean, I don't have a problem with the use of flashbacks and all, but it gets very confusing at times. By the end of the movie, you pretty much know when everything has taken place, but as it's happening, it's really not all that clear.

Yellow text is spoilers

IMO, the movie never justifies why Williams wants to leave Gosling. Yeah, she is pissed off that he shows up drunk to her office, but then she starts crying about how she wants a divorce cuz she can't take all this and that they are always fighting etc, and we've really never seen them fighting before. Yeah, there may be small things, I've seen some critics point out how Gosling doesn't wash the paint off his hands before they go out, he takes her to a shitty motel, he doesn't seem to have the same ambition as her, etc. Now, whether or not you think that's a huge deal and enough to make a woman want to leave a man, the point is that that doesn't justify her crying about how they are always fighting and how miserable her life is. We have never seen them fighting before that incident at her office. Maybe the artsy director thought it would be even artsier fartsier if Williams cried about them always fighting when we never actually see them fighting, but for my non artsy fartsy mind, that's bullshit.

While, the flashbacks can be confusing, at times it's a little hard to get a grip on what's happening when, and I have that huge problem with Williams suddenly crying about how they're always fighting when we've never seen them fighting.....

the scenes themselves are done very well. Very very very well. The raw emotion is about as real as you will ever see in a movie, Gosling and Williams are simply brilliant. This is a movie that may actually cause you to think very seriously about stuff in life; I can't remember the last time I saw a movie with emotions as real as this one.

So I had a couple of big problems, one with the structure and one on a big substantive issue I mentioned in the spoilers. Also, sometimes the documentary-like cinematography gets annoying. But the scenes themselves are as powerful as anything you'll see in a movie, and acted brilliantly. If I was forced to give a number rating, it would probably be about an 8/10 but forget numbers, I'll just say this: I'd definitely recommend that you see this movie. You may find it great and you may find it flawed, but IMO there is enough in here to astound you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. I see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Valentine_%28film%29#Rating_controversythe movie was initially given an NC-17 rating -- later successfully appealed down to an R -- for a cunnilingus scene. That is so damn stupid. Nobody is even naked in that scene. Williams is lying in bed with a dress on, Gosling is fully clothed, and he buries his head inside her dress as she oohs and ahhs. With all the sex shown in movies today, does THAT really deserve an NC-17??? The movie also has a doggy-style humping scene, with Williams wearing nothing at all from the waist down, but a fully-clothed depiction of a guy eating out a girl should warrant an NC-17?  Anyway, thankfully, it was ultimately rated R. There is nothing in this movie that is more sexually graphic than a million other R-rated movies

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:44:51 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11982 on: May 21, 2013, 01:16:04 AM »

Jennifer 8 6/10
Apocalypse Now 10/10
Snow White & The Huntsman 3/10

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11983 on: May 21, 2013, 03:43:31 AM »

For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943) 7/10

I've never read the book; this discussion is entirely about the movie and no comparisons to the book.

The acting is splendid all around, the story is alright, you're definitely kept interested in the characters and story (except the annoying Gypsy dude whom I couldn't stand).

My problems: There's a shitload of process shots. Looks like almost all the scenes in the mountains were shot on soundstages, there is no sense of location whatsoever, which is a big flaw for a movie that is supposedly taking place in the mountains. The sky, moon, stars look so hilariously fake, it could be for a cartoon. Ingrid Bergman's makeup is always perfect throughout the three days of hiding in a cave and fighting. Cooper's final lines to Bergman sound like he is reading from a book. I'm sure it's taken from the book, but still, when he says them, it shouldn't sound like he is reading someone a book. But it does.
The lighting in the mountains is beautiful -- way too beautiful. Even a full moon can't make night lighting that perfect.

So the film is acted very well, but the technical stuff is way too Hollywood.

It's a darn shame the young Bergman didn't do more color movies. I never realized what gorgeous blue eyes she had....

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:48:36 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11984 on: May 21, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »

For Whom the Bell Tolls I found on the dull side. Definitely a case, not unlike the '74 Gatsby, of a literary adaptation being too faithful to the source.

Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM