Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 09:43:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767919 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11985 on: May 21, 2013, 07:22:51 PM »

Punch Drunk Love 7/10

First viewing. Not really funny (a shame for a comedy) but strangely moving. I believe in this character. I don't think their is much rewatch value in this, except for the extended shots at his sister's house.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11986 on: May 21, 2013, 09:11:24 PM »

For Whom the Bell Tolls I found on the dull side. Definitely a case, not unlike the '74 Gatsby, of a literary adaptation being too faithful to the source.

well I don't consider 7/10 to be a great rating. IMO, it's the lowest rating for a "good" movie. Anything less means, "Don't watch." 7/10 basically means, it can be enjoyed, check it out when it's on tv, but don't make a point of seeing it. That's basically how I feel: There's what to enjoy (mostly cuz of the characters), but nothing particularly special. An enthusiastic recommendation begins at 8/10 for me  Smiley

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11987 on: May 22, 2013, 09:16:24 AM »

Punch Drunk Love 7/10

First viewing. Not really funny (a shame for a comedy) but strangely moving. I believe in this character. I don't think their is much rewatch value in this, except for the extended shots at his sister's house.
PTA Cocksucker RRPOWER says you are 1 to 1.5 points too low. Watch it again!

Agreed it's not that funny though.

Breaking Bad Seasons 1-3: 9/10

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11988 on: May 22, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »

But is Punch Drunk Love supposed to be a comedy?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11989 on: May 22, 2013, 12:13:23 PM »

To an extent, yeah. I thought it was funny enough, but could have used a little more humor (I think Boogie Nights and The Master are probably funnier)

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11990 on: May 22, 2013, 01:32:44 PM »

There is enough "physical humor" in it to show its aspiration to comedy: people fall a lot on the ground, he gives back the cut phone to the employee next to him after his argument with Hoffman... To me it's as much of a comedy as After Hours. But even less funny.

Breaking Bad rocks. Best crime tv show ever.
In a very different genre, I'm watching Community, which is the funniest show ever. Better than South Park.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11991 on: May 22, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »

If we're discussing television, I've been going through Cracker: The Complete Series DVDs lately. A decade after first watching the show I'm still convinced it's the best crime drama ever, or at least in the top three.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11992 on: May 22, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »

There is enough "physical humor" in it to show its aspiration to comedy: people fall a lot on the ground, he gives back the cut phone to the employee next to him after his argument with Hoffman... To me it's as much of a comedy as After Hours. But even less funny.

Breaking Bad rocks. Best crime tv show ever.
In a very different genre, I'm watching Community, which is the funniest show ever. Better than South Park.
I'll agree with you on Punch Drunk Love (which is still pretty funny) but After Hours is hilarious.

I've been marathoning Breaking Bad the past few weeks, never seen it before. Catching up before the finale episodes.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11993 on: May 23, 2013, 01:35:08 AM »

Leave Her to Heaven (1945) 6/10
Saw on TCM. The print is near-perfect. Just a few speckles, and a brief sound issue toward the end.
This film, in glorious Technicolor, is beautiful to look at. Colors look like a beautiful painting. The sets are beautiful, almost fairy-tale like. Some are process shots, but still, the film is absolutely beautiful to look at.
Tierney looks terrific, though her acting seems a bit forced, ie. she looks like she's acting, there's nothing natural about it. But she is always lovely to watch. Jeanne Crain did a good job in her role.
Fun to see a very young Vincent Price.

But the story doesn't hold you that much. I just didn't find the scenes all that interesting. And I think the framing device was useless, except to needlessly give away some of the story.

-------------------------------------------------------

yellow text contains spoilers

The trial was ludicrous. The Vincent Price character, who admittedly had a personal relationship with the characters involved, would never have been allowed to prosecute this case in a million years. And the idea that Cornel Wilde would actually not say what he knows about Gene Tierney right away, but, in order to make the movie "work" withholds the information till the end,  The idea that he wouldn't tell what he knows about Tierney until the last moment, especially when it's jeopardizing Crain, is ridiculous. The trial scene made me wince terribly.

---------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line for me is that this movie is absolutely beautiful to look at, but otherwise is not very good.

Here is a 6-minute clip of Martin Scorcese who is a big fan of the movie discussing the movie as he introduces it at the New York Film Festival in 2007  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATfhKmkM-rE

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:44:22 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11994 on: May 23, 2013, 02:14:15 AM »

But is Punch Drunk Love supposed to be a comedy?

How do you rate it?

I'll agree with you on Punch Drunk Love (which is still pretty funny) but After Hours is hilarious.

After Hours has some hilarious moments.

If we're discussing television, I've been going through Cracker: The Complete Series DVDs lately. A decade after first watching the show I'm still convinced it's the best crime drama ever, or at least in the top three.

Never seen any image of this, but I'll give it a shot then.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11995 on: May 23, 2013, 02:19:47 AM »

How do you rate it?

I watched PDL only once in the theatre, back when it was released, and I really liked it. More than Magnolia. From my memory I say it was an 8/10er, but maybe even a 9. It is a film I would like to re-watch. Unfortunately there are so many of them, and from PDL I first have to buy me a copy.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11996 on: May 23, 2013, 07:58:31 AM »

-------------------------------------------------------

yellow text contains spoilers

The trial was ludicrous. The Vincent Price character, who admittedly had a personal relationship with the characters involved, would never have been allowed to prosecute this case in a million years. And the idea that Cornel Wilde would actually not say what he knows about Gene Tierney right away, but, in order to make the movie "work" withholds the information till the end,  The idea that he wouldn't tell what he knows about Tierney until the last moment, especially when it's jeopardizing Crain, is ridiculous. The trial scene made me wince terribly.

---------------------------------------------------------

Not only that, but what defense attorney worth his salt would put Crain (the defendant) on the stand to begin with? I agree, the trial scene is a joke, but mercifully, it's brief. I think that besides the colors, the film offers something else of interest: Tierney's performance. True, as you say, she's rather wooden, but that's appropriate for the role of a sociopath who doesn't have normal human feelings. She's so beautiful in Technicolor, but also, so not there emotionally. A very different role from what Ms. Tierney usually played.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #11997 on: May 23, 2013, 08:04:02 AM »

Frances Ha (2013) 7/10. The b&w photography is sweet, and so is Greta Gerwig as the title character, although I can understand if she isn't everyone's cup of tea. The soundtrack isn't very imaginative, and the jokes are only mildly amusing, but the picture kept my attention. It's short enough not to overstay its welcome, anyway.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11998 on: May 23, 2013, 08:47:16 AM »

The Deadly Trackers (1973) 7/10

further discussion here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11691.0

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11999 on: May 23, 2013, 10:28:42 AM »

I watched PDL only once in the theatre, back when it was released, and I really liked it. More than Magnolia. From my memory I say it was an 8/10er, but maybe even a 9. It is a film I would like to re-watch. Unfortunately there are so many of them, and from PDL I first have to buy me a copy.

I rented it for a few euros on iTunes. Not sure how easy it is to find it on DVD/BD here.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM