Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 09:26:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1761954 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12000 on: May 23, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »

I assume it is easy.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12001 on: May 23, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »

Only God Forgives 7/10

It's Drive, but colder, without the love story, with a little but more of David Lynch, no hipster music, less hollywood, more Asia. It does NOT deserve the public outrage it's getting in Cannes right now.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:57:23 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12002 on: May 23, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »

The Big Bluff (1955) Delightfully intriguing  cheap, sleazy film that manages to entertain, the soundtrack is a bit to overbearing though 7/10 And its not very noir stylistically.

When scheming fortune hunter and erstwhile Latin lover Ricardo De Villa learns that a wealthy but sickly widow has terminal heart disease, he seduces and marries the vulnerable millionairess. Playing the part of a faithful and doting husband, he carries on a torrid affair with sexy exotic dancer Fritzi Darvel while avoiding the suspicious eyes of her jealous bongo-playing husband. When his wife's condition seems to go into remission, the impatient De Villa decides on action that will hasten her seemingly inevitable death.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 04:14:23 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12003 on: May 23, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »

Never seen any image of this, but I'll give it a shot then.

This probably goes without saying, but make sure it's the British version with Robbie Coltrane. The American remake sucks.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 04:42:06 AM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12004 on: May 24, 2013, 02:06:39 AM »

Yes, Cracker is a great series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_%28UK_TV_series%29

Another similar good one is Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Suspect

Both belong to the best TV stuff of the 90s.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12005 on: May 24, 2013, 03:15:26 AM »

Evil Dead - another Spanish horror film director, 2013

I was always a bit proud that I fell asleep while watching Raimi's Evil Dead. The remake was now mostly equally boring.

Conclusion: A faithful adaptation which stands true to the spirit of the original. Thank you, man 3/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12006 on: May 24, 2013, 02:54:01 PM »

Not only that, but what defense attorney worth his salt would put Crain (the defendant) on the stand to begin with? I agree, the trial scene is a joke, but mercifully, it's brief. I think that besides the colors, the film offers something else of interest: Tierney's performance. True, as you say, she's rather wooden, but that's appropriate for the role of a sociopath who doesn't have normal human feelings. She's so beautiful in Technicolor, but also, so not there emotionally. A very different role from what Ms. Tierney usually played.

yeah, usually a defendant will not take the stand, but sometimes they do, often at their own insistence. The lawyer can't force the defendant off the stand. So, the defendant taking the stand in her own defense, although not very common, is the least of the problems with this trial scene.

RE: Tierney's performance: I was never a sociopath, but I would assume that they would act as naturally as normal people do. That's what allows them to blend into society, cuz they are acting as normally when committing their crimes as you or I act when doing anything else.
I assume that Tierney's performance was the result of her telling herself, "I'm playing something different now," which, consciously or subconsciously resulted in acting very differently. But the key to playing the bad girl against type is to do it as naturally as you played the good girl.
Eg. Look at Henry Fonda as Frank. Or Denzel Washington in Training Day. Did their manner seem different than any of their "good guy" movies?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12007 on: May 24, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »

The prequel to Two Weeks In Another Town!

see this vid at 1:36 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo7wvAq6VRY

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12008 on: May 25, 2013, 05:34:23 AM »

Wild Target (2009) Comedy about a hit man who falls for his target Bill Nighy & Emily Blunt good enough 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12009 on: May 25, 2013, 11:04:49 PM »

Man in the Wilderness (1971) 8.5/10

If you are a Western fan but haven't yet seen this movie, what are you waiting for?

More here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=3544.msg165590#msg165590

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:13:39 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12010 on: May 26, 2013, 04:23:31 AM »

Humoresque (1946) 6.5/10

I liked the first 3/4 of the movie, but the last half-hour is just not very interesting.

Franz Waxman did a terrific job with the music.

In addition to the trailer, the dvd has just one special feature: a piece entitled "The Music of Humoresque." If you watch the dvd, be sure to watch this 9-minute video, it's a really nice discussion of the music on the movie.

btw, the cute little kid who played the young Paul Boray, credited as Bobby Blake, is future murderer Robert Blake

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12011 on: May 27, 2013, 11:08:03 AM »

Mud - 7.5
All around generally flawless (other than sort of a cop-out ending), though nothing particular stands out as truly great. It's rather forgettable but absolutely worth a viewing. Superior to Nichols' freshman work Shotgun Stories though not quite up to par with Take Shelter. He'll be a well-renowned director one day.

Breaking Bad - Season 4 - 9/10
The show stays consistently amazing (though two big points of the finale were spoiled for me when I was still going through season 3). Starting up Season 5 soon.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12012 on: May 27, 2013, 01:17:24 PM »

Mud is flawed: the love story (stories?) doesn't work. The girl is just a weak and lost girl. She should be fascinating (Mud definitely is), she's not even interesting.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12013 on: May 27, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »

Mud is flawed: the love story (stories?) doesn't work. The girl is just a weak and lost girl. She should be fascinating (Mud definitely is), she's not even interesting.
I think it works better that she's so uninteresting. It raises ambiguity as to why Mud is so fascinated with her. Sam Shepard mentioned that he's loved the girl since they were kids. Perhaps in their childhood she was a different person who had changed so drastically over time. Mud is delusional and infatuated with a girl from his past who really no longer exists. I think it's a case of an overly optimistic childhood love which just never left him. This is something unfortunately common for some people.

That, or she's just uninteresting.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:55:13 PM by rrpower » Logged
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12014 on: May 27, 2013, 04:52:07 PM »

Breakfast Club - 6/10

I had never seen it (nobody knows about it here in France, I was finally sold by the numerous references to it in Cracked.com and Community). It's as cliché and amateur as you get but what can I say? Even if I'm not the target audience anymore, it got me from time to time.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM