Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 08:14:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 805 806 [807] 808 809 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1834411 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12090 on: June 05, 2013, 10:06:49 AM »

Tokyo Story (1953) 7/10

I didn't make it very far with this one. Same with Early Spring or s/t like that (the one with the guy lives w/ his daughter) just a yap yap yap yap yap, eating fish and yapping and smiling. I ain't sittin around that shit waiting for sumthin to happen in the 5th reel. Recently started watching that movie with the guy who was imprisoned by a private enterprise for 15 years (is that Japanese or Korean?) and shut it off rather quickly. I didn't like SEven Samurai either; I think Yojimbo is the only Japanese movie I liked -- not loved, but liked --. I don't exactly go out of my way to see Japanese movies now

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12091 on: June 05, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »

I didn't make it very far with this one. Same with Early Spring or s/t like that (the one with the guy lives w/ his daughter) just a yap yap yap yap yap, eating fish and yapping and smiling. I ain't sittin around that shit waiting for sumthin to happen in the 5th reel. Recently started watching that movie with the guy who was imprisoned by a private enterprise for 15 years (is that Japanese or Korean?) and shut it off rather quickly. I didn't like SEven Samurai either; I think Yojimbo is the only Japanese movie I liked -- not loved, but liked --. I don't exactly go out of my way to see Japanese movies now
Thanks for sharing your deep gaijin wisdom.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12092 on: June 05, 2013, 02:17:14 PM »

Recently watched Masaki Kobayashi's Seppuku (1962). Excellent film, only slightly longish in the middle. I think I prefer it to every Kurosawa film. 9/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12093 on: June 05, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »

Recently watched Masaki Kobayashi's Seppuku (1962). Excellent film, only slightly longish in the middle. I think I prefer it to every Kurosawa film. 9/10
You should see his 1967 film, called Samurai Rebellion in English. I like it even better.

La noia / The Empty Canvas (1963) - 8/10. The adventures of Eurotrash, as adapted by Damiani from a novel by Moravia. Catherine Spaak is amazing. And Bette Davis speaks Italian! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQKBFRl6GSw

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12094 on: June 06, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »

Ann Vickers (1933) 8/10

With Irene Dunn, Walter Huston, Conrad Nagel, Bruce Cabot, and Edna May Oliver.

Though the screenplay was cleaned up somewhat from the original Sinclair Lewis novel, this movie never could have been made once the Production Code began being enforced. In fact, the release of this movie was one of the factors that led to the formation of the Catholic Legion of Decency http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Vickers

Saw the movie on TCM - the print is pretty messed up in some places, but it was an enjoyable watch. This movie has been released on VHS but never on dvd.

There's some brief footage here of a (American) football game.

SPOILER ALERT FOR THE REST OF THIS POST

STORY: Ann Vickers (Irene Dunn) is a progressive, career-driven social worker, who falls in love with a soldier (Bruce Cabot) going off to war. She gets pregnant, but he ditches her, and she has an abortion, which she regrets. She then resolves to dedicate herself to her career -- refusing the advances of young Judge Lindsay Atwwl (Conrad Nagel), and goes to work in a women's prison. She is appalled at the brutality at the prison. Though she is forced out after fighting with the prison staff, she  writes a book about her experiences at the prison, which becomes a bestseller, and attracts the interest of progressive Judge Barney Dolphin (Walter Huston). She is then gets a job at another women's prison, where she is allowed to experiment with her progressive ideas. Though Ann has resolved to focus her life on her career, she starts to feel lonely. Her friend Malvina (Edna May Oliver) invites her to a party, where Ann meets Judge Dolphin -- who is in an unhappy marriage with a woman who refuses to divorce him.
Ann and the judge fall in love. She gets pregnant and has a son. The judge is later convicted of financial wrongdoing (though it is unclear if he is really guilty) and sentenced to prison, and Ann is forced to resign her job due to having had a child out of wedlock. She finds work  as a writer. After three years, the judge is pardoned, and he shows up at Ann's apartment, telling her that his wife has finally agree to divorce him, and that he and Ann can finally get married. Ann says that she too has been freed from prison --  "the prison of ambition, the prison of desire for praise and success for myself."

(I don't know if that last line is actually in the novel, or if it was added to the screenplay to appease the censors, to show that even this woman with radically progressive ideas has finally come to reject those ideas and realize embrace traditional views of the role of a woman).

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:46:21 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #12095 on: June 06, 2013, 11:13:49 AM »

Network (1976) - 8/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12096 on: June 06, 2013, 12:30:58 PM »

Network (1976) - 8/10

yeah, I think I gave this a 7.5/10, but it's definitely not an all-time great movie like a lot of people say it is.

And Faye Dunaway -- whom I generally love -- absolutely did not deserve the Oscar for this one.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12097 on: June 06, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »

I probably gave it a 6.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12098 on: June 06, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »

probably inspired by A Face in the Crowd

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12099 on: June 06, 2013, 03:35:01 PM »

Moderato Cantabile (1960) 7/10. From a story by Marguerite Duras. Directed by Peter Brook, it stars Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jeanne Moreau (as a blonde!). It's astounding that films like this were once made routinely. Everything today is made for children. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QzQxzKRwlE

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12100 on: June 06, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »

re-watched My Gun Is Quick (1957) 7-8/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12101 on: June 07, 2013, 06:03:07 AM »

Bride Of Frankenstein (1935)  Karloff, Lanchester, entertaining 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12102 on: June 07, 2013, 03:57:56 PM »

SPRING BREAKERS

SPOILERS

First of all it's a visual treat throughout, so that earns points. The style is in synch with the content, which I think is very important especially with this kind of excessive style. The main problem is the story. The movie loses steam when Selena Gomez makes her exit. I think it would have been wiser to keep her aboard a bit longer and make her arc the main arc of the movie.

It was a fun movie but I don't really see a reason to re-watch it.

Yes good idea about Gomez. The main problems are the story and the dialogues: I've rarely seen such poor dialogues in a movie with such a cast. And yes, I've often seen terrible dialogues in moviues with a similar cast, so it's pretty impressive.

Visually, it looks like Malick, only cheaper and more modern. So yes it was interesting.

The main quality of the film was the scene on the bed between Franco and the 2 girls. This is real cinema were you don't knowwhat's gonna happen and you want to know.

7 Psychopaths - 7/10

It was very criticized. Of course it's not as well written as In Bruges, but still very cool. It probably gets better with each rewatch.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12103 on: June 07, 2013, 05:07:22 PM »

It's pouring outside, so I stayed in bed all day and watched Westerns. My definition of a perfect day  Afro

Watched my dvr of Anthony Mann night on TCM:

1. Devil's Doorway (1950) 6/10

2. Westward the Women (1951) 7/10

3. The Far Country (1954) 8.5/10

4. Winchester '73 (1950) 7/10

further discussion in each movie's individual thread.

(I also started watching The Last Frontier (1955) but shut it off halfway through; I was not enjoying myself).

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:56:52 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12104 on: June 07, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »

Dillinger Is Dead (1969) - 6/10. Marco Ferreri's rather pointless 90-minute exercise, watching Michel Piccoli go insane. The escape on the phantom ship at the end is kinda cool, though.

Pages: 1 ... 805 806 [807] 808 809 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM