Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:28:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770266 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12105 on: June 07, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »

Dillinger Is Dead (1969) - 6/10. Marco Ferreri's rather pointless 90-minute exercise, watching Michel Piccoli go insane. The escape on the phantom ship at the end is kinda cool, though.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12106 on: June 08, 2013, 04:51:11 AM »

Amélie (2001) re watch 9/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12107 on: June 08, 2013, 08:19:51 AM »

À nos amours (1983) 7/10. Suzanne (Sandrine Bonnaire) discovers sex at 15 and starts playing musical beds. This, predictably, causes problems at home. Are Daddy issues at the root of her compulsion? (Daddy is played by the film's charismatic director, Maurice Pialat). We never find out. As an example of tranche de vie the film succeeds; however, it all becomes rather repetitive. Pialat sure knows how to cut a picture, though.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12108 on: June 08, 2013, 07:05:11 PM »

Now You See Me - 6/10 - Slick heist film featuring four Las Vegas magicians (Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher and Anonymous Douchebag) pulling off improbable robberies, with dogged FBI Agent Mark Ruffalo and INTERPOL cop Melanie Laurent on their tail. As a thriller it's entertaining so far as it goes, though there's little invention on display. The ending left a bad taste in my mouth; I'll admit I didn't see the twist coming, but only because it's so stupid I couldn't imagine anyone actually using it. The cast is appealing, even if none have real characters to play; Morgan Freeman comes off best as an Amazing Randi-type debunker.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12109 on: June 08, 2013, 08:09:27 PM »

The Hangover Part III - 5.5/10
Not too great but much about expectations. I liked the first one until it became annoyingly overquoted (basically first week it came out).

Star Trek Into Darkness - 8.5/10
In my opinion, about just as good as big-budget Hollywood films get.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12110 on: June 09, 2013, 02:24:40 AM »

Star Trek Into Darkness - 8.5/10
In my opinion, about just as good as big-budget Hollywood films get.

Did you like the previous one?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12111 on: June 09, 2013, 07:34:34 AM »

Did you like the previous one?
Yeah I thought that was also very good. I preferred the second.

I've never seen anything related to original Star Trek so I have nothing to compare the 'reboots' to. They're both genuinely fun movies. The fact that neither tries to be anything more than 'fun' and still succeed in being excellently made are what makes them great IMO.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12112 on: June 09, 2013, 07:39:28 AM »

I have studiously ignored anything Hangover-related. Star Trek, old or new, has never interested me much either.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12113 on: June 10, 2013, 06:00:41 AM »

A Streetcar Named Desire - 7/10 - Am I the only one who found this flick excessively stagy and overwrought? Very well-acted, sure, but seemed a bit too faithful to its stage roots to work as a movie.

Ill Met By Moonlight - 8/10 - Dirk Bogarde leads an Anglo-Greek commando team to kidnap the Nazi Governor of Crete. Powell & Pressburger's last collaboration isn't their most artistically accomplished work. It is, however, a well-crafted suspense piece.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12114 on: June 10, 2013, 09:48:58 AM »

imo STREETCAR is one of the 10 or 15 greatest movies of all-time. Sure it's stagy - opening it up too much would have killed the claustrophobia, the dirtiness, the grittiness, the sweaty dirty nasty DESIRE

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12115 on: June 10, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »

Magic Mike - 7.5/10
A shame it had to be so heavily marketed toward making women's panties wet. While this seems to be the objective at the beginning, it eventually turns into a solid drama about modern day relationships and life choices. It's nothing special and I'm not so sure how I feel about Soderbergh's yellow-tint digital cinematography (sometimes ugly, sometimes it works excellent), but it's a worthy viewing.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12116 on: June 10, 2013, 05:25:44 PM »

I tried watching Magic Mike last night. Only made it about 40 minutes in.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12117 on: June 10, 2013, 09:26:12 PM »

Basic Instinct (1992) 7.5/10 (first viewing; blu ray).

Sharon Stone better hope Michael Douglas's oral sex cancer doesn't go both ways.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12118 on: June 11, 2013, 12:49:08 AM »

well well well

just saw Flight (2012).

Denzel Washington plays an alcohol and drug addicted pilot, whose plane has a mechanical failure mid-flight, and he performs heroically in saving it. There is a spectacular crash, in which 6 people die, out of 102 passengers; but it's only due to Washington's brilliance that all 102 people didn't die, and he is treated as a hero.
But the fact remains that Washington was stoned during the flight, which comes up in post-crash toxicology reports. The pilots union gets a hotshot lawyer and they can beat the federal hearing no problem, but Washington is forced to confront his own addictions.

The plane crash is one of the most spectacular scenes you will ever see. You are right there in the cockpit along with the crew. It is absolutely incredibly brilliant.

The whole movie is made unbelievably well. Every single performance is terrific.

What were my problems with the movie?

Firstly, at a certain point, after the whole crash and the post-crash media blitz and all, it becomes evident that the story is really about Washington's battle with his own addictions, which is a storyline that just doesn't interest me all that much; stories about characters overcoming addictions just don't interest me.

Now, there are two major implausibilities that I will have to give a spoiler alerts for yellow text:

Firstly, how he gets trashed in the hotel room the night before the hearing cuz the door to the adjacent room is open  -- I MEAN ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?Huh? How many hotels have you ever been in where the adjacent door was open??? That's is just such a movie coincidence. Why couldn't they just have him jump over the fence and sneak to a bar down the street? (Unless that room belonged to the security guard -- is that what happened?)  if it's just a random empty room, no way would that door be open).

And secondly, the big moment, which he later explains that he just couldn't tell one more lie, again I'm not buying it. Yeah, he may finally have true remorse and wanna get himself clean, so let hi get out of that hearing and go to an AA meeting or rehab or whatever. But to knowingly walk into prison when he simply has to say yeah, it seems as if it was the flight attendant who drank the vodka, I don't believe he wouldn't lie there. sorry, I just don't. Is it cuz he feels bad and doesn't wanna besmirch the dead girl's name? She already has shown up as intoxicated on the toxicology report. In response to the question, "Is it your opinion that she consumed the vodka?" he can simply reply, I have no idea. And that's it -- he's free. And he wouldn't even have besmirched her name -- everyone will just assume she was the one who drank it. And that's that. It sounds nicely cinematic to say "I couldn't tell one more lie," but I am simply not buying that he would walk into prison like that cuz he couldn't tell one more lie.

END OF SPOILERS

so this movie is ultimately about a story that doesn't interest me, and IMO in 2 key moments relies on contrivances.

HOWEVER, otherwise it is made as well as could possibly be, and I can't possibly emphasize enough how perfect the performances were up and down the line.

So I have to say it's a very impressive movie. How can I rate such a movie? I don't know. I have to say that for what it is trying to achieve, it succeeds incredibly well; I give this an 8.5/10 - but if the story interested you, I could see you going higher than that.

I will certainly recommend that everyone go out and see this movie. There's a hell of a lot here that was done incredibly well  Afro Afro

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12119 on: June 11, 2013, 05:49:18 AM »

A Streetcar Named Desire - 7/10 - Am I the only one who found this flick excessively stagy and overwrought? Very well-acted, sure, but seemed a bit too faithful to its stage roots to work as a movie.

No, it's too much theatre and not enough film. But on the Waterfront is worse for that.

Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM