Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:55:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1840378 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12120 on: June 11, 2013, 11:42:15 AM »

This was apparent from the trailer. At which point, I knew better than to waste my time.

I don't watch trailers.

But you're still not wasting your time watching this movie. Watch only the first half if you want to. The crash scene is incredible.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12121 on: June 11, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »

Yeah, yeah, CGI, CGI. I'll pass.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12122 on: June 11, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »

CGI can be a great asset to filmmaking, when done well

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12123 on: June 11, 2013, 09:36:23 PM »

just saw Rashomon for the first time. I think I am officially giving up on Japanese movies.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12124 on: June 11, 2013, 10:31:39 PM »

just saw Rashomon for the first time. I think I am officially giving up on Japanese movies.
Try Hidden Fortress. It's in my opinion Kurosawa's greatest work by a long shot. Very similar to Good Bad and Ugly in many aspects, and an absolute masterpiece. I've seen it once and it's among my favorite films.

Rashomon was the very first foreign movie I watched (I dunno...6 years ago?). I haven't seen it since. I remember liking it but I wasn't huge on it. It may be my least favorite from Kurosawa other than Quiet Duel or Yojimbo.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12125 on: June 12, 2013, 12:08:05 AM »

Try Hidden Fortress. It's in my opinion Kurosawa's greatest work by a long shot. Very similar to Good Bad and Ugly in many aspects, and an absolute masterpiece. I've seen it once and it's among my favorite films.

Rashomon was the very first foreign movie I watched (I dunno...6 years ago?). I haven't seen it since. I remember liking it but I wasn't huge on it. It may be my least favorite from Kurosawa other than Quiet Duel or Yojimbo.

(Yojimbo was the first Jap movie I saw, but  I saw it a while ago, at a time when I had hardly seen any foreign movies, I wasn't used to the idea of subtitled films; I was barely used to the idea of black and white films! So I won't count that till I see it again. But as for the other Jap films I've seen):

I watched Seven Samurai and couldn't stand it. Endless shots of men looking sad and crying. and crying and crying and crying. some people call it the greatest action movie or the first great action movie or whatever, but the first half of it (and the movie is about 3.5 hours long) is endless scenes of peasants sitting around and moping and crying and moping and crying. I was miserable.

Then I started watching Tokyo Story. God, endless talking and smiling and talking and smiling. Nothing happened. I ain't some ADD kid that needs someone to get their head blown off every 5 minutes in order to like a movie, but I mean this just took way too long to get going. I must have shut it off after 20 minutes.

Then I started watching Late Spring or Early Summer or whatever - the one with the girl who lives in her father's home and he wants to get her married. Watched about the first half of it. Just lots of talk and smiling and talk and smiling. I just wasn't interested. Shut that one off halfway through.

Now I see Rashomon. It wasn't very interesting. I am certainly not saying it was excruciating like Seven Samurai (it was less than half the running time!), but how in hell can people consider this one of the all-time classics? Maybe it was groundbreaking in its time, but that does nothing for me in 2013.
I don't know if I am right to lump all Jap movies together, I certainly am not judging from a huge sample size, but maybe there is something cultural or whatever that I am not getting. I have seen many French and Italian movies that I love, but I suppose that European cultures are a lot closer to America's than Japanese is (especially Japanese movies about samurai which is a time and era I know nothing about).

I don't want to deny myself the opportunity to see something great that I may love, but I also don't see a reason to force myself to sit through something I don't enjoy just because lots of people consider it among the greatest movies of all-time. Maybe I just happen to see a few movies I don't like. But when I watch a bunch of movies that are generally considered among the all-time greats and I really don't see what's so great about them (or I am unable to get through half of them), maybe there is indeed something culturally that I am not getting, and I should just forget about Japanese movies for now. (Maybe return to them at some point in the future when I've exhausted all the great French and Italian movies).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12126 on: June 12, 2013, 01:29:58 AM »

Till the End of Time (1946) 9/10

With Dorothy McGuire, Guy Madison, Robert Mitchum, Bill Williams, Tom Tully, William Gargan, and Jean Porter. Directed by Edward Dmytryk.

This movie follows three Marines returning from World War II, and their attempt to integrate back into civilian life. If you say, "Hey, that sounds mighty similar to The Best Years of Our Lives," well, that's true. Though TTEOTime was actually released four months before TBYOOLives.

To tell the truth, when I first read a plot synopsis of this movie, I thought to myself, "no way can anyone do a better job with this then TBYOOLives did; why should I even bother with this?" But, although it may not be TBYOOLives, this is actually turned out to be a very good movie. One big difference between the movies is that TBYOOLives (running time 2:52) basically follows the story of three returning service members equally, whereas TTEOTime (running time: 1:45) basically follows the lead man (Guy Madison), and the other two just pop in a little bit. Okay, enough with the comparisons, now I'll discuss the movie itself; if you don't wanna know about the plot (ie. the details of the problems the returning Marines face), don't read any further:

Madison, Mitchum, and Williams play former Marines returning home from WWII. Madison is the main character, and the movie mostly focuses on him: He spends his days and nights going out, either with his Marine buddies, or with one of two girls he has met:
one is a war widow (Dorothy McGuire), whom Madison falls for; the other is his neighbor's teenage daughter (Jean Porter), who falls for him, but whom he views as just a friend. Madison soon runs into problems with his parents: while they are excited to have him home, they are upset that he seems content to go out all day and night and enjoy his freedom and spend his savings, and doesn't seem to have any ambition for his future.  

The two smaller characters are Robert Mitchum and Bill Williams: Mitchum, from New Mexico, has had a plate inserted his skull, and while he dreams of buying a ranch, it's questionable if he can be responsible enough with his money and stable enough and healthy enough to do so. Williams was a boxer before he became a Marine; in battle, he has had both legs blown off, and now he refuses to wear his prosthetic legs, preferring instead to sit around all day and feel sorry for himself.

William Gargan plays a Marine counselor trying to help integrate them into civilian life.

Some viewers might think that the Jean Porter character is needless -- and it's true that it's clear all along that Madison is after McGuire, and considers Porter nothing more than the teenage daughter of the next-door-neighbor, and the Porter character kinda seems stuck in there and maybe the writer could have done a better job with handling her character -- but Porter is so lovely and good in her role, I absolutely loved her. There is a wonderful scene where she and Madison go dancing in a juke joint. Her dress flies mighty high and her hips swing mighty wildly for 1946, but I suppose it got by because she is some cute little 18-year old just out for some wholesome fun.

The 21-year-old Jean Porter met the 38-year-old Edward Dmytryk on set of this movie; 2 years later they were married, and stayed married until Dmytryk's death in 1999, at the age of 90. Porter is still with us at 87 years old, and according to her imdb bio, she is a by-lines contributor to classic movie magazine Classic Images.

I see on Amazon that this movie is not currently available on dvd; just on an old VHS. I would hope that it'll be released soon on dvd, it's a really good movie.

Catch it next time it plays on TCM  Afro Afro

SPOILER ALERT TILL END OF POST

if I have one problem with the movie, it's a small one, and it's the final shot: It closes on Madison kissing McGuire, which means, this is really a love story. Rather than ending with Madison and McGuire living happily ever after, I wish the ending would have focused on the three Marines, Madison, Mitchum, and McGuire, and how they are gonna live happily ever after. To me, the story of servicemen returning from war and re-integrating themselves to civilized life is much more interesting than the love story. But hey, final shot, maybe it's just Hollywood being Hollywood and wanting to end with a kiss, but it doesn't change the meaning of the whoe movie, so I won't worry too much about it  Wink

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:55:23 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12127 on: June 12, 2013, 07:51:10 AM »

(Yojimbo was the first Jap movie I saw, but  I saw it a while ago, at a time when I had hardly seen any foreign movies, I wasn't used to the idea of subtitled films; I was barely used to the idea of black and white films! So I won't count that till I see it again. But as for the other Jap films I've seen):

I watched Seven Samurai and couldn't stand it. Endless shots of men looking sad and crying. and crying and crying and crying. some people call it the greatest action movie or the first great action movie or whatever, but the first half of it (and the movie is about 3.5 hours long) is endless scenes of peasants sitting around and moping and crying and moping and crying. I was miserable.

Then I started watching Tokyo Story. God, endless talking and smiling and talking and smiling. Nothing happened. I ain't some ADD kid that needs someone to get their head blown off every 5 minutes in order to like a movie, but I mean this just took way too long to get going. I must have shut it off after 20 minutes.

Then I started watching Late Spring or Early Summer or whatever - the one with the girl who lives in her father's home and he wants to get her married. Watched about the first half of it. Just lots of talk and smiling and talk and smiling. I just wasn't interested. Shut that one off halfway through.

Now I see Rashomon. It wasn't very interesting. I am certainly not saying it was excruciating like Seven Samurai (it was less than half the running time!), but how in hell can people consider this one of the all-time classics? Maybe it was groundbreaking in its time, but that does nothing for me in 2013.
I don't know if I am right to lump all Jap movies together, I certainly am not judging from a huge sample size, but maybe there is something cultural or whatever that I am not getting. I have seen many French and Italian movies that I love, but I suppose that European cultures are a lot closer to America's than Japanese is (especially Japanese movies about samurai which is a time and era I know nothing about).

I don't want to deny myself the opportunity to see something great that I may love, but I also don't see a reason to force myself to sit through something I don't enjoy just because lots of people consider it among the greatest movies of all-time. Maybe I just happen to see a few movies I don't like. But when I watch a bunch of movies that are generally considered among the all-time greats and I really don't see what's so great about them (or I am unable to get through half of them), maybe there is indeed something culturally that I am not getting, and I should just forget about Japanese movies for now. (Maybe return to them at some point in the future when I've exhausted all the great French and Italian movies).

Strange that you don't like Seven Samurai, that's one it seems most everyone loves. But again that's another movie I haven't seen in 5-6 years. Definitely try Hidden Fortress before you quit on Kurosawa though. It's a lot more entertaining/adventurous and I don't think there's any crying. There is a lot of wild, crazy, almost redundant Japanese screaming but I get a kick out of it. He's one of the few directors where I've yet to see a movie I disliked.

I feel the same way about French movies as you do about Japanese. It seems almost everything I watch that is supposed to be renowned I dislike or find mediocre.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12128 on: June 12, 2013, 09:05:52 AM »

I feel the same way about French movies as you do about Japanese. It seems almost everything I watch that is supposed to be renowned I dislike or find mediocre.

Try Delicatessen

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12129 on: June 12, 2013, 09:48:13 AM »

Try Delicatessen

Or The City Of Lost Children.

But the best french movie ever is Un Air De Famille (although no one agrees).

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12130 on: June 12, 2013, 10:23:54 AM »

I ain't some ADD kid
Having sat next to you in a theater once, I seriously dispute this.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12131 on: June 12, 2013, 12:39:18 PM »

Did you see The 400 Blows, Le Samourai, Rififi, Bob le Flambeur, and Le Cercle Rouge, The Last Metro, Day for Night, Breathless....?

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12132 on: June 12, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »

Did you see The 400 Blows, Le Samourai, Rififi, Bob le Flambeur, and Le Cercle Rouge, The Last Metro, Day for Night, Breathless....?
400 Blows, Le Samourai, and Breathless. Le Samourai is actually one of the only French movies I really like.

Actually I've been very interested to see all the others for years. That's not because of a general dislike against French films. Just haven't gotten to the yet. I also haven't seen Delicatassen. I've heard about it over and over again and always see it on Netflix/TV but it never sounded too interesting to me. Didn't like City of Lost Children.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12133 on: June 12, 2013, 04:52:09 PM »

Le Samourai is actually one of the only French movies I really like.

Then maybe you'll like the other crime films by Melville: Bob le Flambeur and Le Cercle Rouge.
You should also see Rififi (IMO Le Cercle Rouge is a ripoff of Rififi, but a damn good one).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12134 on: June 12, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »

Imitation of Life (1959) 5/10

Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM