Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 09:19:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759431 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12165 on: June 18, 2013, 03:07:01 PM »

- Greenaway's film is basically one (digitally) extended shot which floats through a castle turned museum for several rounds. Each round displays a different set of historical people and events tied to the castle.
Sounds an awful lot like Russian Ark, don't it?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12166 on: June 19, 2013, 01:29:19 AM »

Above and Beyond (1952) 9/10

The story of Paul Tibbets, pilot of the Enola Gay, which dropped the a-bomb on Hiroshima. Robert Taylor plays Tibbets, and Eleanor Parker plays his wife, who suffers from the separation and distance of her husband due to the time-consuming and secret nature of his mission.

Parker, who is TCM's Star of the Month, will turn 91 in a week  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12167 on: June 19, 2013, 11:53:30 AM »

Stoker (2013) 3/10. Remember how in Psycho 2 Norman Bates came out of the nut-house all better? And then, when he went home, weird things started happening, and so the audience didn't know if Norman's rehabilitation was falling apart, or if there was something else going on? And how, eventually, it was revealed that there was another psycho acting out (Psycho 2--geddit?) And that finally, everything having been resolved with Psycho #2, Norman, through the process of the film, had been effectively re-set as Psycho #1? Hey, that's almost the exact plot of Stoker! [Oops, SPOILER!] The difference is that in Psycho 2 there was a lot of mystery about who the new murderer was, but here there is never any doubt about who is getting whacked by whom. The only mystery is how the two psychos are able to operate without much interference from the police or anyone else. The other difference between the films: Psycho 2 was cunningly laid and newly lit; Stoker is reheated embers.

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: June 20, 2013, 04:56:32 AM »

Frances Ha (2013): 7/10
Fun-Post-College-coming-of-age-shit-that-I-somehow-relate-to. Fuck me right? I liked it.

Before Midnight (2013) light 7/10
Went in mostly blind, haven't seen the other two movies but familiar enough with Richard Linklater to know what I'm in for (two hours of talking). Not going into specifics, but it reminds me of an acting class improv that's actually put together reasonably well. Fuck me, right? I liked it

Man of Steel (2013) 3/10
Shit. Kinda liked Van Alden's lady Henchman for unrelated reasons. Mostly shit

Fast 6 (2013) High 5.10
Stupid but what did I expect? Fun. The stupider it gets the better. Missed out on the last 15 minutes but I figure I can just watch the rest on youtube in a month. Kinda liked it

Fill the Void (2012) High 7/10
Jane Austen meets Hasidic Tel Aviv (it may be overstated, but it's true). Easily misinterpreted as anti-feminist, but open enough to call that into question. All that Jewy stuff is pretty interesting, kept me going. Admittedly, didn't see the first 10 minutes but it didn't seem to matter, got the jist. Really liked the ending. Fuck me, right? Pretty good.

Battle Royale (2000 I think) 7/10
Fun.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:58:14 AM by Atlas2112 » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12169 on: June 20, 2013, 05:53:13 AM »

Hey welcome back

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: June 20, 2013, 08:40:44 AM »

Fill the Void (2012) High 7/10
Jane Austen meets Hasidic Tel Aviv (it may be overstated, but it's true). Easily misinterpreted as anti-feminist, but open enough to call that into question. All that Jewy stuff is pretty interesting, kept me going. Admittedly, didn't see the first 10 minutes but it didn't seem to matter, got the jist. Really liked the ending. Fuck me, right? Pretty good.
Huh, I was just reading about this and it's playing nearby. I may have to check it out.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12171 on: June 20, 2013, 06:23:20 PM »

A Colt is My Passport (1967)  a good Japanese underworld film blending  gangster movies, spaghetti westerns, and neo noir. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12172 on: June 21, 2013, 09:43:34 AM »

A Royal Scandal (1945) 9/10. Lubitsch by way of Preminger. A handsome Russian officer comes to the attention of Catherine the Great (Tallulah Bankhead)--much to the consternation of the young man's fiancée (Anne Baxter). The Empress's wily Chancellor (Charles Coburn), however, makes certain everything works out. I've never been such a big fan of Lubitsch, but here it all clicks. Ms. Bankhead was born to play the man-eating monarch, and deadpanning Coburn has the best lines of his career.  This is the very definition of droll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvbEb3hg1ws

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12173 on: June 21, 2013, 12:49:40 PM »

To the Wonder - Terrence Malick

There must be 2 Terrence Malicks in this world. To the Wonder felt like a not that talented director had tried to copy the innovative style of Tree of Life.
To make sure that my mind hadn't tricked me I re-watched The Tree of Life the other day, and when I had some reservations towards Tree of Life, well, now most of them are gone. The Tree of Life is a stunning pleasure in every respect and it blew me away.
But To the Wonder achieves these qualities only here and there. What looks great on the paper is the concept of telling what goes wrong in a relationship not by showing the actual conflicts realistically, but only in a hyperbolic way by a poetic flow of images which try to catch the raptures in the aftermath of the disputes. But I never cared much for the couple and their problems, and especially Affleck had not much too offer (maybe on purpose). The best part was the short and concentrated interlude with Rachel McAdams.
So To the Wonder has its moments, but is (after the first watch) not a cinematic wonder. 6/10

But The Tree of Life is now for me one of the movie wonders of this century. 10/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12174 on: June 21, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »

So To the Wonder has its moments, but is (after the first watch) not a cinematic wonder. 6/10

But The Tree of Life is now for me one of the movie wonders of this century. 10/10
Another perspective:
Hanan Townshend's wonderful To The Wonder score: 10/10
Alexandre Desplat's dull, derivative, dung-encrusted Tree of Life score: 0/10.

And with late Malick, the score is everything (well--80%, anyway).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12175 on: June 21, 2013, 03:45:38 PM »

The Tattered Dress (1957) - 7/10. Apparently based on the same trial from which Anatomy of a Murder is derived, here the story receives a more conventional Hollywood treatment. Instead of being set in some jerk-water Wisconsin town, this is set in a Palm-Springs-like resort ("Desert Valley"). Instead of an army officer accused of murdering his wife's bartender-boyfriend, we have a wealthy dimwit in the same situation. And instead of Lee Remick as the flirty wife, we're given a very slutty Elaine Stewart. But the most significant difference: instead of folksy Jimmy Stewart for the defense, we get Jeff Chandler as an amoral, high-priced, criminal lawyer flown in for the event. But wait--the crime, investigation, and trial are all quickly dealt with in the first 30 minutes. That's just a prelude to the film's real concern: the life-and-death contest between Chandler and the local law, friendly-seeming-but-utterly-corrupt Jack Carson (in what must be his greatest role). The murdered man was the lawman's friend, and when his killer walks the sheriff decides to exact an elaborate revenge on the one who sprang him. So the criminal lawyer--irony of ironies--ends up defending himself in a second trial. Oh, the humanity! As per usual, authentic courtroom procedures are modified to enhance the dramatic elements. Well, those elements are certainly enhanced: I enjoyed everything except the deus ex machina ending.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12176 on: June 21, 2013, 06:26:14 PM »

And with late Malick, the score is everything (well--80%, anyway).

So it's a good thing he got Preisner's Lacrimsoa and Smetana's Die Moldau in Tree Of Life so that the movie couldn't be rated under 5/10.
Here is a list of non original songs used in The Tree Of Life:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/music_list_all_37_songs_features_in_terrence_malicks_the_tree_of_life?page=2#blogPostHeaderPanel

These are not 37 masterpieces but this is no 0/10. Desplat didn't do a good job on this, but his music is barely noticable in the movie, which is not the case of most of the 37 songs listed here (I went out of the theater singing Lacrimosa both times).

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 06:32:23 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12177 on: June 21, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »

I went out of the theater desperate to scrape CGI dinosaur images off the bottom of my cerebellum, but I'll admit you have a point there. Is Desplat's contribution really less than half of the film? Then I will amend my view.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:26:42 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12178 on: June 22, 2013, 05:55:10 AM »

The Tattered Dress (1957) - 7/10. Apparently based on the same trial from which Anatomy of a Murder is derived, here the story receives a more conventional Hollywood treatment. Instead of being set in some jerk-water Wisconsin town, this is set in a Palm-Springs-like resort ("Desert Valley"). Instead of an army officer accused of murdering his wife's bartender-boyfriend, we have a wealthy dimwit in the same situation. And instead of Lee Remick as the flirty wife, we're given a very slutty Elaine Stewart. But the most significant difference: instead of folksy Jimmy Stewart for the defense, we get Jeff Chandler as an amoral, high-priced, criminal lawyer flown in for the event. But wait--the crime, investigation, and trial are all quickly dealt with in the first 30 minutes. That's just a prelude to the film's real concern: the life-and-death contest between Chandler and the local law, friendly-seeming-but-utterly-corrupt Jack Carson (in what must be his greatest role). The murdered man was the lawman's friend, and when his killer walks the sheriff decides to exact an elaborate revenge on the one who sprang him. So the criminal lawyer--irony of ironies--ends up defending himself in a second trial. Oh, the humanity! As per usual, authentic courtroom procedures are modified to enhance the dramatic elements. Well, those elements are certainly enhanced: I enjoyed everything except the deus ex machina ending.

How did you see this?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12179 on: June 22, 2013, 12:50:26 PM »

The score of both Malick films should be more counterpointing, should have included some more brutish music. It's all a bit too nice, too harmonic. On the other hand while watching Tree of life the 2nd time I made my peace with its score, but did not like the one of To the Wonder.

The dinosaurs did some great acting. How could they ever die out with such talented guys amongst them?

Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM