Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 09:33:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1805554 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12180 on: June 22, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »

Fill the Void (2012) High 7/10
Jane Austen meets Hasidic Tel Aviv (it may be overstated, but it's true). Easily misinterpreted as anti-feminist, but open enough to call that into question. All that Jewy stuff is pretty interesting, kept me going. Admittedly, didn't see the first 10 minutes but it didn't seem to matter, got the jist. Really liked the ending. Fuck me, right? Pretty good.
I've seen this now too, and I concur, pretty good. I'd go an "8" maybe. Yeah, Jane Austen, but also the omiai kekkon comedies of Ozu came to mind. I'm using the term "comedy" only to refer to the fact that it has a happy ending--this film has few chuckles and is often rather grim. The ending is predictable but--as in Austen and Ozu--the getting there provides the interest. Still, I was a little annoyed by the look of the film: a very soft image throughout (were they using diffusion filters on every scene?). Also, the tight framing gave the piece a touch of claustrophobia, but that was probably intentional. As anthropology, though, the film works quite well--the best look inside Jewish culture since the Coen's A Serious Man.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:33:18 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12181 on: June 22, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »

Rider on the Rain (1970) "Le passager de la pluie" I haven't seen this since I saw it on Times Square in 1971, forgot how great it was and Marlène Jobert is a real cutie. The 905 Entertainment DVD is a lousy print though.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:44:36 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12182 on: June 22, 2013, 08:37:29 PM »

Much Ado About Nothing (2013) - 8/10 - Joss Whedon's low budget, modern-dress Shakespeare, starring a slew of Buffy/Angel/Avengers alums. It's off-beat and self-aware in patented Whedon fashion; he gives the actors free rein to mug to their hearts content (Alexis Denisof and Clark Gregg are the best/worst offenders), with lots of hilarious modernisms (Dogberry and his constables sporting Maverick shades! Don John's arrest filmed by a TMZ-style tabloid!) which emphasize Shakespeare's silly plot. The previous sentence could easily be a criticism but it worked for me. The actors have chemistry and the staging and delivery crackles with wit. If nothing else it lacks the obnoxious stunt casting of Branaugh's version.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:25:37 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12183 on: June 23, 2013, 04:40:16 AM »

1. If Winter Comes (1947) 7.5/10

With Walter Pidgeon, Deborah Kerr, and a very young Janet Leigh in a supporting role.

2. Guns, Girls, and Gangsters (1959) 6/10

The title will tell you exactly what this is - a hilariously crappy cheap B-caper movie. I see this title coming up on TCM, and how can I possibly turn down a movie with an awesome title like this? Featuring Mamie Van Doren, Gerald Mohr, and Lee Van Cleef in all his menacing tough guy glory, playing a gangster who breaks out of prison just three months before his parole hearing because he hears that his wife (played by Van Doren) is messing around with other guys, while they are plotting a robbery of an armored car.
Van Doren is smoking hot, but has zero acting talent.
This is one of the cheap ass caper films where the entire thing is narrated beginning to end, you wonder why the hell the actors are even needed - everything that happens is told to you by the narrator, it's like the filmmakers are unaware that the point of a movie is to see things happen, not be told.
But if you like those hilariously ridiculous crime movies, with the tough guy dialogue and busty blonde with no talent, this is the sort of movie for you.
Here is a frightful recent photo of Van Doren http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mamie_Van_Doren_LF.jpg
I hear the 80-year old is spending her time these days running a website and blog where she sells autographs and posts nude photos of herself.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12184 on: June 23, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »

Much Ado About Nothing (2013) - 8/10 - Joss Whedon's low budget, modern-dress Shakespeare, starring a slew of Buffy/Angel/Avengers alums. It's off-beat and self-aware in patented Whedon fashion; he gives the actors free rein to mug to their hearts content (Alexis Denisof and Clark Gregg are the best/worst offenders), with lots of hilarious modernisms (Dogberry and his constables sporting Maverick shades! Don John's arrest filmed by a TMZ-style tabloid!) which emphasize Shakespeare's silly plot. The previous sentence could easily be a criticism but it worked for me. The actors have chemistry and the staging and delivery crackles with wit. If nothing else it lacks the obnoxious stunt casting of Branaugh's version.
Watched this today, but less enthusiastically. I thought it started well, and everything was working until the plot turned sinister, then it was impossible to take any of it seriously. Hey, these are just L.A. actors hanging out at Whedon's house, nobody's in any danger of really getting killed or anything. And then there was Dogberry and his crew: they're supposed to be the funniest thing in the play, but their comic timing was off. We should be able to note every word Dogberry gets wrong, but the delivery was so low I could barely make things out. Oh well, I do agree this is better than Branaugh's version (though Whedon is guilty of at least one case of stunt casting as well).

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12185 on: June 23, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »

The Conversation - 9/10 - 3rd viewing, second in a week.

Silence of the Lambs - 7/10 - One of those films that's become so iconic it's hard to judge on its own terms. Everything from Cracker to The X-Files to Se7en borrows liberally from its central premise, with varying degrees of success, not to mention endless Hannibal parodies. What surprised me is how restrained the violence is, especially compared to Se7en; the real focus is on characters and faux-realistic FBI procedure, not gore. Jodie Foster does excellent work and Ted Levine makes a creepy villain, but I really couldn't stand Anthony Hopkins. Hard to see why he won an Oscar for this and not performances that required more than a silly hiss and affected line delivery. And yeah, we get some plot twists that are a bit hard to take. I enjoyed seeing our Carnegie Museums in one scene. Afro

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:09:04 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12186 on: June 24, 2013, 10:00:42 AM »

Beauty and the Beast - 8/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12187 on: June 24, 2013, 12:25:53 PM »

Beauty and the Beast - 8/10
Cocteau's?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12188 on: June 24, 2013, 01:55:23 PM »

The Conversation - 9/10 - 3rd viewing, second in a week.

Silence of the Lambs - 7/10 - One of those films that's become so iconic it's hard to judge on its own terms. Everything from Cracker to The X-Files to Se7en borrows liberally from its central premise, with varying degrees of success, not to mention endless Hannibal parodies. What surprised me is how restrained the violence is, especially compared to Se7en; the real focus is on characters and faux-realistic FBI procedure, not gore. Jodie Foster does excellent work and Ted Levine makes a creepy villain, but I really couldn't stand Anthony Hopkins. Hard to see why he won an Oscar for this and not performances that required more than a silly hiss and affected line delivery. And yeah, we get some plot twists that are a bit hard to take. I enjoyed seeing our Carnegie Museums in one scene. Afro

Hannibal Lecter is one of my favorite movie characters of all time. Great, great performance by Hopkins. As for the whole Oscar debate, you could argue over the screen time issue, but it's a great performance and a great movie.
I am in what is probably a very tiny minority that actually prefers Hannibal to Silence of the Lambs; for me, the latter is a great movie, but the former is one of my very favorite movies ever made. Red Dragon is disappointing - the scenes with the villain there are not very interesting. Hannibal is the one movie that seems to realize that the reason we watch these movies is to see Dr. Lecter, and it's basically an opera about him.

I saw The Conversation once and didn't find it all that interesting.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12189 on: June 24, 2013, 03:42:08 PM »

And Then There Were None (1945) 7/10. This Agatha Christie chestnut is presented with a lighter touch than usual. The deaths keep on coming, but also the laughs. The cast includes Walter Huston, Judith Anderson, Roland Young, Barry Fitzgerald, even C. Aubrey Smith. The female talent is supplied by June Duprez, but then, you can't have everything. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v9rQ7uJTSg

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12190 on: June 26, 2013, 10:58:37 AM »

COMMUNITY - season 3 9/10

To me season 2 is the real masterpiece. Season 3 is still the best thing happening to comedy shows but things get really crazy too easily almost each episode. I'm rewatching the whole season now to get the other half of the jokes and may change my opinion.
Not very excited to give season 4 a shot since Harmon was not involved in it and seing how heavily criticized it was... But I will eventually watch it since Harmon is back for season 5 and I have to get up to date with the plot and the characters.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12191 on: June 26, 2013, 02:21:51 PM »

And Then There Were None (1945) 7/10. This Agatha Christie chestnut is presented with a lighter touch than usual. The deaths keep on coming, but also the laughs. The cast includes Walter Huston, Judith Anderson, Roland Young, Barry Fitzgerald, even C. Aubrey Smith. The female talent is supplied by June Duprez, but then, you can't have everything. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v9rQ7uJTSg

I was very disappointed by the movie. A bad movie based on a great book.

Most unconscionable is how they changed the ending.

SPOILER ALERT

The ending is THE WHOLE FRIGGIN POINT! How this guy was so brilliant in arranging these deaths of everyone, including himself,  so that nobody will ever figure out how they were accomplished.

When they left the two people alive at the end, it's not merely, okay, so 8 died instead of 10. Rather, it destroys the whole drama, it destroys the whole story, The whole point is the brilliance of the judge's plan and how no one figured it out until they found the bottle.

Put another way, It's not And Then There Were None!

I don't know, maybe the filmmakers thought that reading a letter in a bottle wouldn't make interesting viewing. I think they could have had the letter being read in the judge's voice-over as we see flashback images of how he carried out the plot as described in the letter.

I started watching the other movie version, from the 60's, which they changed to some snowy mountains which are only accessible by cable car or something, it annoyed me after 10 minutes and I shut it off.

I'm still waiting for a great movie to be made from this great book.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:23:01 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12192 on: June 26, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »

I started watching the other movie version, from the 60's, which they changed to some snowy mountains which are only accessible by cable car or something, it annoyed me after 10 minutes and I shut it off.

I'm still waiting for a great movie to be made from this great book.
The "other" movie version? Dude, this has been filmed about 10 times. If you're looking for something that's faithful to the book, I am told this Russian version does the job: http://stagevu.com/video/mtuvigstjonp

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12193 on: June 27, 2013, 06:43:59 PM »

Cocteau's?
Disney.

This Is The End - 8/10
For the very specific audience it targets (20-30 y.o. males who are fans of 'Apatow generation'), this is among the best comedies in years. Outside of its target I can't see this being seen as even relatively humorous.

The Bad Sleep Well - 9/10
First viewing of one of Kurosawa's best works. It's my favorite of his crime/noir films over High and Low and Stray Dog. I'm not so sure how I feel about the final death though. It seems way too force in order to make the film's ultimate point. Despite this it's probably one of the best screenplays ever written.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12194 on: June 27, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »

The "other" movie version? Dude, this has been filmed about 10 times. If you're looking for something that's faithful to the book, I am told this Russian version does the job: http://stagevu.com/video/mtuvigstjonp

I meant to say the other English-language version; I was talking about the 1965 version, called Ten Little Indians http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061075/?ref_=sr_1
(I see now that there was a third English-language one, also called Ten Little Indians, from 1989, which holds a stellar 4.7/10 rating on IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098454/?ref_=sr_3 )

It's not that I am necessarily worried about being faithful to the book. But the entire premise of the movie is having all 10 people die, and we see the genius of the judge how was able to kill everyone including himself and stump Scotland Yard and nobody knew how it was pulled off.
Messing with that is like if a movie about The Old Man and the Sea would have had the old man on a 60-foot luxury yacht catching trophy fish all day.

Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM