Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 06:46:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1833488 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12225 on: July 07, 2013, 01:34:29 PM »

well supposedly David Toschi was the big real famous detective (and the movie itself mentions that Bullitt copied him), in order to portray that personality, you just need someone who screams STAR, like Brad Pitt. Pitt is the sort of actor that he just walks into a scene and there's no doubt who's the star. Also a guy like Denzel (although that couldn't have worked since Toschi is white). McQueen and Eastwood, whose Bullit and Harry Callahan were inspired by Toschi, definitely had that IT factor. Ruffalo – even if you think he is a very good actor, (personally, I think he is average, but it doesn't matter; the point is that) he just doesn't have that IT factor, he's not the kinda big personality that Toschi supposedly was. Toschi was born in 1931, which means he would have been in his late 30's when the Zodiac killings began. Maybe Matthew McConaughey could have pulled it off, I don't know. But Ruffalo IMO was not an asset.

I definitely believe Ruffalo's character was, if not the main one, at least co-equal to Gyllenhaal's. Gyllenhaal is the bigger name and got first billing, but IMO Ruffalo's character was at least as big as his. Either way, even if you wanna say Ruffalo is not the main character, bottom line is that he is a very big part, and for me, he was just average. Not gonna win any Razzies, but not the sort of performance that 50 other actors couldn't have delivered. I don't know if this would have been an all-time great either way - and Ruffalo's performance might have been fine for another movie - but Ruffalo's performance was not as good as this movie was.  And that was the problem for me. You have a movie that's really good but this important character is just not.

I see that the one time I saw it, back in December, I rated it an 8/10 http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=7645.msg161326#msg161326
Definitely a solid movie  Afro

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:01:54 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12226 on: July 07, 2013, 04:48:16 PM »

The Lone Ranger (2013) - 2/10. The film starts off with an exciting runaway train sequence, followed by a manhunt through the desert. Early on it seems this could be taken for a serious Western, but as things move along it gets progressively sillier, ending up as little more than a cartoon. This is not the worst of its faults.

Unhappily, this  film, pitched at school kids on summer break, is filled with a pernicious message. When we are introduced to the man who will become the Lone Ranger (Armie Hammer) he is reading John Locke. He is a law school grad, concerned with the justice and due process, who has returned to his Texas town to be its DA (huh?). The purpose of everything that then happens is to disabuse him of his notions of right and wrong and provide him with an unsentimental education. Because, as it turns out, everything having to do with the white man’s civilization is evil. The Indians are noble victims; the Chinese coolies who work the white man’s mines are also victims. The railroads, the army, all the institutions of white civilization, however, are corrupt. What then is a good-hearted man to do? He must operate as an outlaw. Hence the mask. In the original radio and TV versions of the Lone Ranger, IIRC, the mask was intended to hide the Ranger’s identity, it was a superhero’s mask. In this movie, the character’s identity is never in doubt. The mask is solely to establish the fact that the wearer lives outside the white man’s law. Tonto (Johnny Depp) keeps telling the hero “Never take off the mask.” Not only the Ranger, but a little kid Tonto is teaching—the audience’s surrogate—learns this “truth” by the end of the film.

The references in this movie to OUATITW include but are not limited to: majestic shots of Monument Valley; evil railroaders; men in dusters waiting for a train; the shadow of a man revealing his presence on the roof of a car; startled birds taking flight as a harbinger of a homestead attack; an Indian boy who suffered a terrible loss returning as a man to exact revenge on those responsible. This last is made even more explicit by having the villain ask, “Who are you?” and receiving in reply a symbol-fraught object that jogs his memory at the point of dying. So keen are the filmmakers to reference Leone’s film that during one scene where men are riding through a canyon one of the walls has a Navajo cliff CGI’d in—it has no function other than to be spotted.  And from time to time faint echoes of Morricone’s score appear on the soundtrack. What is the purpose of all these allusions? Apparently, just to let the audience know how cool the filmmakers are. This is another truth I think I’ll ignore.

What he said... It's silly and all been seen before. It has some nice images scattered throughout, but far and few between that remind you of the Westerns we aint getting. How many pseudo roller coaster images do we need. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12227 on: July 08, 2013, 08:33:29 AM »

Museum Hours (2013) - 10/10. A revolution in cinema. What Wenders was always getting at, but never quite achieving. Jem Cohen has finally done it.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12228 on: July 08, 2013, 08:53:53 AM »

The Marriage of Maria Braun - 7/10
An impressive work but not something I was really able to connect with or become engrossed in. I prefer Ali: Fear Eats the Soul.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12229 on: July 08, 2013, 09:52:38 AM »

Dick Tracy (1990) picked up a copy for less than $5. Saw it i theater years ago fun flick with some nice unique visuals, cinematography by Vittorio Storaro.
Directed by Warren Beatty. Starring  Beatty, Madona, Charlie Korsmo, Al Pacino, and Glenne Headly with cameos from a huge supporting   cast. 8/10  

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:32:31 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12230 on: July 09, 2013, 08:43:53 AM »

Fontane Effi Briest (1974) - 10/10. My fave Fassbinder, streaming free today and tomorrow: http://www.hulu.com/watch/449581?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12231 on: July 10, 2013, 12:38:02 PM »

Tokyo Story / Tokyo monogatari (1953) 9/10. Shochiku Blu-ray, transferred from a new digital restoration. This looks amazing. But don't let anyone tell you this is Ozu's best film; there are 10 others that are at least its equal.

The Life of Oharu (1952) 10/10. Criterion Blu-ray, transferred from a new digital restoration. Don't let anyone tell you that Ugetsu monogatari is Mizoguchi's best film. There are at least 10 others that are its superior; this is one of those.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12232 on: July 10, 2013, 01:59:19 PM »

When I first saw an Ozu film I was disappointed by its simplicity. But there was a big retrospective on TV, and I watched them all. After about 4 or 5 films I got used to their style and began to enjoy them.

Kohayagawa-ke no aki (1961) was probably the most fascinating back then.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12233 on: July 10, 2013, 03:09:37 PM »

Kohayagawa-ke no aki (1961) was probably the most fascinating back then.
I like the color ones especially, and this one I am particularly fond of because of the vibrant hues (perhaps being made at Toho instead of Shochiku has something to do with that?). Anyway, this is the one color Ozu not yet available on Blu-ray with English subs. I hope that will not long be the case.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12234 on: July 11, 2013, 07:18:02 AM »

CONTRABAND (2012)

Caught the last 40minutes or so in TV while eating. Seems to do a regular job, apart from Mark Wahlberg and the shaky cam/quick edit. Anyway, I'm writing about it here because toward the end they use the salt technique from OUATIA. They even try to get the same feeling that is in the Leone scene: they first think it didn't work, then one package reaches the surface, then another, and they build to a climax and a wide shot with everything in it. Then one if the guy falls in the water. It was fun to witness such a rip-off.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #12235 on: July 11, 2013, 08:01:22 AM »

Oxen (1991) "The Ox" - 8/10
The only feature film solely directed by Sven Nykvist. Late 1860s, a famine plagues Sweden. In order to feed his family, a peasant (played by Stellan Skarsgård) kills one of the two oxen of his neighbor. The story follows him trying to cope with the legal and social consequences but also his own conscience. Filled with regular actors from Ingmar Bergman's films. I wouldn't have minded Nykvist directing a second feature.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12236 on: July 11, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »

When I first saw an Ozu film I was disappointed by its simplicity. But there was a big retrospective on TV, and I watched them all. After about 4 or 5 films I got used to their style and began to enjoy them.
Plot for Ozu, at least in his late period, is something of a McGuffin. That is, the plots are necessary for the characters to reveal who they are, but are of little consequence to the audience. That's why Ozu can blithely re-use his plots over and over: Late Spring (1949), Late Autumn (1960), and An Autumn Afternoon (1962), for example, all use the same plot. What distinguishes each of the films (and they're all first-rate) is the characters, who naturally differ. And its the characters who provide the interest. Watching Ozu is like visiting people you know well; you either enjoy their company or you don't.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12237 on: July 11, 2013, 01:52:19 PM »

Watching Ozu is like visiting people you know well; you either enjoy their company or you don't.

Well said ...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12238 on: July 11, 2013, 04:30:02 PM »

The Reckless Moment (1949) Director: Max Ophüls with James Mason, Joan Bennett, Geraldine Brooks 7/10

Female on the Beach (1955) Director: Joseph Pevney Woman's Noir with Joan Crawford, Jeff Chandler, Jan Sterling, Cecil Kellaway, and Cecil Kellaway noir light 6/10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12239 on: July 11, 2013, 05:00:48 PM »

Female on the Beach (1955) Director: Joseph Pevney Woman's Noir with Joan Crawford, Jeff Chandler, Jan Sterling, Cecil Kellaway, and Cecil Kellaway noir light 6/10
I liked this more than a "6." I enjoyed the many sarcastic lines Joan caustically delivers. It's also nice seeing Mrs. Howell before she was Mrs. Howell.

Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM