Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 12:28:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768920 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12255 on: July 14, 2013, 09:41:07 PM »

The Anderson Tapes (1971) 5.5/10

All that beeping and screeching of the surveillance tapes made me nuts. Almost shut the movie off several times - I probably should have.
One great thing in this movie: Martin Balsam playing a flaming pansy. simply awesome. For that reason only, catch this movie the next time it plays on TCM.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12256 on: July 15, 2013, 01:57:39 AM »

Charles Foster Kane may have been ambivalent. A Nazi is not.
The Third Man

There he plays a fascinating monster. His best role outside his own films.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12257 on: July 15, 2013, 01:58:23 PM »

The Third Man

There he plays a fascinating monster. His best role outside his own films.

haven't seen it.

I think the only Welles roles I have seen outside his own movies, were the ones where he plays the lawyer for Leopold & Loeb, and the one where he plays that Turkish general. Forgot the name of those movies. (Truth is, he directed parts of those movies, too).

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12258 on: July 15, 2013, 02:44:12 PM »

haven't seen it.
WHAT?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12259 on: July 16, 2013, 02:04:30 AM »

haven't seen it.

I think the only Welles roles I have seen outside his own movies, were the ones where he plays the lawyer for Leopold & Loeb, and the one where he plays that Turkish general. Forgot the name of those movies. (Truth is, he directed parts of those movies, too).

Then you don't know much about Welles.

And, actually, he plays in most of his own films often negative characters, or at least dubious ones.

Overall he was more a bad guy actor. The Third Man is probably despite Citizen Kane his most famous film. One of which many think that it was also directed by him.

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12260 on: July 16, 2013, 06:11:22 AM »

PETE SMALLS IS DEAD  Shocked  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roz8qZdCmnU

a Film Noir la Big Lebowski

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:04:20 AM by sargatanas » Logged
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #12261 on: July 16, 2013, 02:28:37 PM »

Singin' in the Rain (1952) - 8/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12262 on: July 16, 2013, 04:39:36 PM »

Hammett (1982) Director: Wim Wenders Stars: Frederic Forrest, Peter Boyle, Marilu Henner a fictional story about Dashiell Hammett's post Pinkerton life as a writer combining some fact and lots of hard boiled fiction, great studio sets not bad upon first view. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12263 on: July 16, 2013, 07:59:35 PM »

Mephisto (1981) - 8/10

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12264 on: July 16, 2013, 10:41:11 PM »

yes I know about The Third Man although I haven't seen it. And no, it is not more famous than Citizen Kane.

I've seen some Welles movies but I can't say I've seen 'em all.

btw, I think he did a great acting job on Citizen Kane, which doesn't get mentioned much with all the talk about that movie's technical groundbreaking-ness.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12265 on: July 17, 2013, 02:35:16 AM »

yes I know about The Third Man although I haven't seen it. And no, it is not more famous than Citizen Kane.

The Third Man is more popular, at least here in Germany. CK has a reputation, but TTM has not only a similar reputation, it also has greater commercial flair. One reason is of course the beautiful and popular zither score.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12266 on: July 17, 2013, 03:17:50 AM »

well maybe that's the case in Germany cuz the movie takes place in Austria.

But in America, and I suspect in (at least most of) the rest of the world, Citizen Kane is more famous than The Third Man, (and almost any other movie, for that matter). Certainly among critics/directors/cineastes. Among average fans of Golden-Era movies, I'd bet any money at any odds that that was the case too, although I can't tell ya that I've taken any surveys.

For whatever it's worth, on IMDB, CK has been rated by over 204,000 fans, while TTM has been rated by just over 76,000.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12267 on: July 17, 2013, 08:02:46 PM »

The River (1951) - 6/10
An interesting film though quite boring from time to time. I felt the narration weighed down the storytelling. Some great-looking Technicolor shots scattered throughout. The actor who played Captain John was the film's [acting] high point. Far from a great actor of the time, though surprising that he was non-professional.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:05:40 PM by rrpower » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12268 on: July 18, 2013, 06:52:05 AM »

The River (1951) - 6/10
An interesting film though quite boring from time to time. I felt the narration weighed down the storytelling. Some great-looking Technicolor shots scattered throughout. The actor who played Captain John was the film's [acting] high point. Far from a great actor of the time, though surprising that he was non-professional.

Thomas Breen, the guy who played Capt. John, was the son of Joseph Breen.

I might go a drop higher, like a 7/10, but I disagree with those who call it a masterpiece. Roger Ebert included this in his list of Great Movies, and in his review http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-river-le-fleuve-1951 he says that Martin Scorsese called this one and The Red Shoes "the two most beautiful color films ever made," and Ebert says Scorsese told him that he watches the movie "three times a year; sometimes four."

I agree that the film is pretty to look at, but I don't think it's anywhere near a masterpiece.

Doesn't the narration seems to dominate this movie more than almost any other, besides The Old Man and the Sea? I think the narrator's dialogue may be longer than the other characters' dialogue!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:04:00 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12269 on: July 18, 2013, 12:37:33 PM »

The stupid kid who played with snakes got bit by one. Big deal. Not a film I ever return to.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 816 817 [818] 819 820 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM