Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 12:00:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770508 times)
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12270 on: July 18, 2013, 01:22:40 PM »

well maybe that's the case in Germany cuz the movie takes place in Austria.

Not because Austria, mainly because as a thriller with a great story it is easier to enjoy for a mainstream audience. It is more difficult to understand what makes Citizen Kane so great.

I prefer The Third Man to Citizen Kane.

But being a British film it is surely not that popular in the states.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12271 on: July 18, 2013, 02:31:41 PM »

well for me, CK ain't close to the greatest movie ever.

It's definitely hard to judge a movie on its own terms once you've heard so much about how it's supposed to be the greatest movie ever. It's like the expectations and fame are on your mind all the time, you can't judge it in the same way as if you never heard anything about it beforehand. It's a great pleasure for me when I watch some movie that I never heard anyone promoting, and love it, and then later on find out that it's a real popular and beloved movie; that way I know I am judging it purely on its own merit.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12272 on: July 18, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »

The stupid kid who played with snakes got bit by one. Big deal. Not a film I ever return to.

are you serious? is that your summary of The River?

I mean, as I said, I definitely don't think it's that great a movie, but you really think the movie is about the kid getting bitten by the snake?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12273 on: July 18, 2013, 03:01:31 PM »

Thomas Breen, the guy who played Capt. John, was the son of Joseph Breen.

I might go a drop higher, like a 7/10, but I disagree with those who call it a masterpiece. Roger Ebert included this in his list of Great Movies, and in his review http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-river-le-fleuve-1951 he says that Martin Scorsese called this one and The Red Shoes "the two most beautiful color films ever made," and Ebert says Scorsese told him that he watches the movie "three times a year; sometimes four."

I agree that the film is pretty to look at, but I don't think it's anywhere near a masterpiece.

Doesn't the narration seems to dominate this movie more than almost any other, besides The Old Man and the Sea? I think the narrator's dialogue may be longer than the other characters' dialogue!
I may be wrong but I think he was referencing to technicolor specifically with that quote. As far as the technicolor look goes, I agree that Red Shoes looks pretty great. The River though? I can think of 3-5 impressive looking shots but overall it looked pretty generic despite the location. Most of Scorsese's recommendations are amazing (I'm referencing his documentaries My Voyage to Italy and A Personal Journey through American Movies) but not so much The River. It's a pretty standard melodrama enhanced by its setting.

The stupid kid who played with snakes got bit by one. Big deal. Not a film I ever return to.
Deserved it.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12274 on: July 18, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »

I saw The River once, long ago. And I don't remember anything of it. Not even that it was colour film. It was probably an ok film. Wink

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12275 on: July 18, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »

well for me, CK ain't close to the greatest movie ever.

It's definitely hard to judge a movie on its own terms once you've heard so much about how it's supposed to be the greatest movie ever. It's like the expectations and fame are on your mind all the time, you can't judge it in the same way as if you never heard anything about it beforehand. It's a great pleasure for me when I watch some movie that I never heard anyone promoting, and love it, and then later on find out that it's a real popular and beloved movie; that way I know I am judging it purely on its own merit.

I think it is no difference to watch a film which has a great reputation. Expectations are probably higher (unless it is from a director you don't like), and maybe you are, because of these expectations, more disappointed than necessary (if the film is less good than expected), but all in all it is just like watching any film. I enjoy it or I don't, and for that I will appraise it.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12276 on: July 18, 2013, 08:38:41 PM »

I may be wrong but I think he was referencing to technicolor specifically with that quote. As far as the technicolor look goes, I agree that Red Shoes looks pretty great. The River though? I can think of 3-5 impressive looking shots but overall it looked pretty generic despite the location. Most of Scorsese's recommendations are amazing (I'm referencing his documentaries My Voyage to Italy and A Personal Journey through American Movies) but not so much The River. It's a pretty standard melodrama enhanced by its setting.
Deserved it.

if I had to guess, I'd say Scorsese was probably talking about the color rather than the shots.

I think I saw some video somewhere where he said Renoir is the greatest director ever.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12277 on: July 18, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »

if I had to guess, I'd say Scorsese was probably talking about the color rather than the shots.

I think I saw some video somewhere where he said Renoir is the greatest director ever.
I'm also generally referring to the use of color. Should have specified. Especially an earlier scene in a dance hall.

Dick Tracy (1990) - 7.5/10
Lots of silly fun and great visuals/costumes.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12278 on: July 19, 2013, 07:25:04 AM »

are you serious? is that your summary of The River?

I mean, as I said, I definitely don't think it's that great a movie, but you really think the movie is about the kid getting bitten by the snake?
That's the payoff. And then they give the kid an Indian burial. As they say in the Profession of Arms: bravo sierra. The whole film is an exercise in bad faith.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12279 on: July 19, 2013, 07:28:20 AM »

The Sopranos, season 1 - 8/10

Stanton was right, it's getting better and better, and the whole season works better than each single episode.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12280 on: July 19, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »

And the 2nd season is then incredible.

When Richie comes home from prison ...

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12281 on: July 19, 2013, 08:48:14 AM »

" the exiles " a 1961 film about a largely forgoten corner
of a depectively bright city is nothing less a welcome act of
defiant remembrance. the night photography alone would
make the film imortal
http://www.exilesfilm.com/   Afro

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:40:30 AM by sargatanas » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12282 on: July 19, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »

Dept. of So Hot, I'll Watch Anything As Long As It's Shown in An Air-Conditioned Cinema

Monster's University (2013) 4/10. This prequel has none of the inventiveness of the first film. It rehashes what we already know, but adds a campus comedy plot that is also a rehash. Oh well, the theater was nice and cool.

Red 2 (2013) 6/10. There was a Red 1, and I saw it, but I can't remember anything about it other than Bruce Willis and Helen Mirren were in it as superspies brought out of retirement to do something or other. This new one is probably just as forgettable, although it includes appearances by Brian Cox, David Thewlis, and Anthony Hopkins (who starts out rather lame, but warms up as his part becomes more important). It provided me with a couple of laughs, even though the body count, which is through the roof, undercuts a lot of the humor. Again, I really appreciated the cool and the dark of the theater.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12283 on: July 19, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »

Only God Forgives (2013) 3/10. Visually interesting, sonically impressive—Cliff Martinez has done it again!—as narrative, however, this film is a joke. The situations are absurd, the plot ridiculous, the dialog risible—the Noho crowd I saw this with kept breaking into laughter at inappropriate times. The actors, as well as the camera, were often immobile—the film should have been called Pose (the guy from Drive was called upon to do very little actual acting). When the actors did shift position, it was as if they were moving through jello. The color scheme—heavy on reds and blacks—looked good. The sudden eruptions of violence were almost Python-esque (causing more inappropriate laughter). This won’t be a future Blu-ray purchase for me—might get the soundtrack CD, though.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12284 on: July 19, 2013, 06:47:25 PM »

Originally my moviegoing choice this weekend had been between Only God Forgives and The Lone Ranger. Even a week ago it seemed like a one-sided affair. Now I'm looking for a third option. Undecided

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM