Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 01:40:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 818 819 [820] 821 822 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766503 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12285 on: July 19, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »

Monster's University (2013) 4/10. This prequel has none of the inventiveness of the first film. It rehashes what we already know, but adds a campus comedy plot that is also a rehash. Oh well, the theater was nice and cool.

The first film wasn't THAT inventive. It was basically a reworking of Aaah! Real Monsters using sparkly CGI.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12286 on: July 20, 2013, 09:54:51 AM »

Only God Forgives - 3/10
No plot? No problem. I'm a huge Malick fan, after all. But when you throw away characterization and any sort of meaning, this turns into nothing more than Refn's exercise in style. It looks relatively unique, despite the overabundance of red and being an amateur hybrid of Kubrick and Lynch at times. Some good music matches some good visuals, and it was watchable. So 3 points for nothing but the distracting, "look at me I'm a director" style. At least he tried. And at least I didn't actually pay for this.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:56:27 AM by rrpower » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12287 on: July 20, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »

Only God Forgives - 3/10
And at least I didn't actually pay for this.
Neat trick. Explain.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12288 on: July 20, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »

Originally my moviegoing choice this weekend had been between Only God Forgives and The Lone Ranger. Even a week ago it seemed like a one-sided affair. Now I'm looking for a third option. Undecided
You want to see either Fill the Void or Museum Hours. If you're stuck with multi-plex fare, you're best bet is Red 2.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12289 on: July 20, 2013, 01:56:48 PM »

Only God Forgives - 3/10
 But when you throw away any sort of meaning,

No. The meaning may be childish (it's actually "Freud 101") but there is a meaning.
And once again, it's less "look at me I'm a director" than "look at me: fuck you", which is a bit childish too, but still damn cool.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12290 on: July 20, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »

No. The meaning may be childish (it's actually "Freud 101") but there is a meaning.
I'd say that there is an attempt at a meaning, but the film is actually incoherent.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12291 on: July 20, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »

Neat trick. Explain.
There are fancy websites which allow you to stream DVD quality movies. It's technically illegal, but since you're not actually downloading anything, nobody watching can get in trouble (only those uploading). Only God Forgives went online quickly because, like To the Wonder (which I actually did pay for), it was a straight to On Demand movie. It's not something I normally do, but in the case of Only God Forgives I wasn't willing to spend $8 for a movie which has been universally torn apart.

Acts like this do end up hurting indie filmmakers but in Refn's case here I don't really care. Malick earned my money.

Noodles_leone:

As far as the movie goes, it may not be completely void of meaning, but it's uninteresting enough where I just don't care. Despite my very low rating I actually don't hate the film, and like you I respect (to an extent) what Refn was doing in terms of the "hey fuck you, I can do what I want" type deal. It just turned out to be a huge failure, IMO.

For the record I liked Drive and Bronson. I don't think Drive was half-worthy of the love it earned, but it's still good to see something of smaller caliber reach such success. Both of those are 7/10ish. I haven't seen any other of Refn's work but I'm still interested in most of it.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:00:56 PM by rrpower » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12292 on: July 20, 2013, 06:27:19 PM »

Only God Forgives - 4/10 - Can't add much to Jenkins and Powers' comments, though I'll be slightly more generous: the visuals are nice enough certain stretches are tolerable. But I started growing impatient during the hooker's masturbation scene, "cleverly" contrasted with dismemberment fantasies and super dramatic music swelling on the soundtrack. The first karaoke scene, presented without irony or humor, convinced me I was going to hate this movie. The next 75 minutes bore out my prediction. But hey, it was better than The Great Gatsby.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:00:30 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12293 on: July 21, 2013, 01:14:33 AM »

Madame X (1937) 7.5/10

This movie -- which I see is based on a 1908 French play and remade into films numerous times http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madame_X -- features Gladys George in the title role.

George was a great actress. (I particularly loved her character in The Roaring Twenties). In Madame X, she plays the unfaithful wife of a wealthy lawyer; she's kicked out of the house, and spends decades slumming it around the world. So she goes from being wealthy and wearing fancy dresses and jewelry and makeup, to looking nasty and drinking etc. There is one scene in particular that she was so amazing in – the scene in the hotel room in South America where she first meets Henry Daniell – IMO that is one of the best-performed scenes by an actress that you will ever see.

Obviously, being made in 1937, this movie, though it supposedly follows George's character around the world, is all on studio backlots/soundstages. What can you do.

SPOILER ALERT TILL END OF POST

For the most part, I liked this movie with the exception of the last five minutes:
--Most importantly, having her die is a total cop-out; it's a nice way of getting rid of her without having to have the jury make a decision, and there's nothing to justify why she would drop dead at that moment; I'm sure kissing her son was very emotional to her, but nothing to justify her dying, except that it works conveniently for the movie.

-- When she kisses her son, there's too much chatter "can I give you a mother's kiss" - it would have been much better if she'd just have kissed him and that's all. in general, I think that last scene in that room in the courthouse had way too much chatter, and would have been more effective if everything wasn't said so clearly

-- and I just didn't like the way it ended, with the son saying, "she was a great woman" and then THE END, just felt somehow like a weird ending.

-- Also, I don't like the performance by the actor who plays the son

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 01:15:48 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12294 on: July 21, 2013, 05:44:17 AM »

Noodles_leone:

As far as the movie goes, it may not be completely void of meaning, but it's uninteresting enough where I just don't care. Despite my very low rating I actually don't hate the film, and like you I respect (to an extent) what Refn was doing in terms of the "hey fuck you, I can do what I want" type deal. It just turned out to be a huge failure, IMO.

For the record I liked Drive and Bronson. I don't think Drive was half-worthy of the love it earned, but it's still good to see something of smaller caliber reach such success. Both of those are 7/10ish. I haven't seen any other of Refn's work but I'm still interested in most of it.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I think you'll like the Pusher trilogy.

Has anybody seen the remake of the first Pusher? I didn't even know it existed until I saw a trailer somewhere a few days ago.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12295 on: July 21, 2013, 09:18:26 AM »

The Long Riders (1980) 7/10. First Blu-ray viewing. The Keaches, the Carradines, the Quaids, and the Guests are, respectively, the Jameses, the Youngers, the Millers and the Fords. Walter Hill stages a terrific train robbery on the way to his show-stopping set-piece, the Northfield raid, in which he out-Peckinpahs Peckinpah. As both a Western and a bio-pic, this film works quite well. Seeing it again, I am reminded how few serious Westerns are being made these days.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12296 on: July 21, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »

Walter Hill stages a terrific train robbery on the way to his show-stopping set-piece, the Northfield raid, in which he out-Peckinpahs Peckinpah.

Sounds really good!

As both a Western and a bio-pic, this film works quite well. Seeing it again, I am reminded how few serious Westerns are being made these days.

I know it was't supposed to be "serious", but Lone Ranger's box office flop is going to hurt any attempt at the western genre for a few more years. It's a shame since the Coen's film had shown that westerns could still succeed in non US markets.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12297 on: July 21, 2013, 10:16:49 PM »

The Wire: Season 1 - 7.5/10
A good start, but all this "by far greatest TV show of all time" talk is a bit much. I don't know where the show goes in later seasons, but my thoughts now is that it's quite overrated. I don't find many of the characters particularly interesting, other than the lead McNulty and the younger D'Angelo Barksdale. There's a lot of generic cop movie/show cliches here (though I'm sure a few weren't as cliche at the time of the show's original run). There's a few powerful moments in the later episodes, but it's quite a change of pace in storytelling compared to my recent marathoning of Breaking Bad. Anyways, overall a good show with some minor flaws but not much so far that really makes it stick out other than Dominic West's portrayal of McNulty and the excellent documentary-esque realism.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12298 on: July 22, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »

"La vita, a volte, č molto dura, vero Provvidenza?" aka Life Is Tough, Eh Providence? (1972) Director: Giulio Petroni, with  Tomas Milian, Gregg Palmer, 5/10

El kárate, el Colt y el impostor (1974) aka Blood Money Director: Antonio Margheriti, with Lee Van Cleef, Lieh Lo, never seen this before 6.5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12299 on: July 22, 2013, 04:37:13 PM »

Spring Breakers - 6.5/10
Marketed like a teen party movie; edited like a Malick movie. No wonder why it's so hated. Still, a decent movie but nothing too special. Certainly unique.

Pages: 1 ... 818 819 [820] 821 822 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM