Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 02:43:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 819 820 [821] 822 823 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1842168 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12300 on: July 23, 2013, 01:42:14 AM »

I dunno. I keep re-watching it, over and over. There's something really hypnotic about it.

This magic combo is what makes it hypnotic to me: most of the worst dialogues in recent memory uttered by 4 girls not even trying to act and expressing absolutely nothing about a theme that should be fascinating.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12301 on: July 23, 2013, 06:19:48 AM »

Storm Fear (1955) entertaining enough 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12302 on: July 23, 2013, 07:05:15 AM »

Into the Wild - 8/10

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12303 on: July 23, 2013, 04:55:21 PM »

Into the Wild - 8/10
Great soundtrack.

Rhapsody in August - 7.5/10
While sometimes it feels like a forced history/cultural lesson, other times its genuinely heartfelt. And as usual for Kurosawa, beautifully shot. Deserves more praise.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12304 on: July 23, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »

MIAMI EXPOSE (1956) 6/10... Thank God the narrated-police-procedural of the 50's wasn't kept around for long. Are there any really good movies from that sub-sub-genre?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12305 on: July 23, 2013, 10:30:28 PM »

Sullivan's Travels - 8/10 - Starts off near-perfect, gets mushy towards the end. Veronica Lake is a babe.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12306 on: July 23, 2013, 11:17:59 PM »

Not a very pretty babe, if you ask me. But what the hell do I know............

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12307 on: July 24, 2013, 10:15:22 PM »

The Deep Blue Sea (2011) - 8/10 - Terence Davies' dreamy adaptation of the Rattigan play, featuring Rachel Weisz, Tom Hiddleston and the guy from Spamalot. All moody photography, fragmented flashbacks and elliptical dialogue, it does an admirable job of making Rattigan's work cinematic. I'd critique a few of Davies' adaptational choices, namely emasculating his male leads to make Hester look good. But it's so well-acted and presented I feel churlish for commenting.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12308 on: July 24, 2013, 11:11:28 PM »

The Deep Blue Sea (2011) - 8/10 - Terence Davies' dreamy adaptation of the Rattigan play, featuring Rachel Weisz, Tom Hiddleston and the guy from Spamalot. All moody photography, fragmented flashbacks and elliptical dialogue, it does an admirable job of making Rattigan's work cinematic. I'd critique a few of Davies' adaptational choices, namely emasculating his male leads to make Hester look good. But it's so well-acted and presented I feel churlish for commenting.

I saw this piece of crap in the theater. Or actually, I saw the first part (I don't remember exactly how long I stayed - was it 45 minutes? An hour? A little longer?) before getting the hell out of what felt like a torture chamber.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12309 on: July 25, 2013, 01:39:40 AM »

Alexander (2004) - 2/10

Caught it on TV yesterday afer a hard day of work so I felt like giving it a try; I think I only missed the first 15 minutes or so. I expected it to be bad. It was really really bad. Almost nothing to save. Terrible directing with lots of ultra cheap post production effects. It sometimes looks like a child who just discovered photoshop filters: wow, let's make it all pink and yellow! Cheap CGI and make up, but to be fair, it was quite ambitious. Bad script, weird ellipses, no characterization, bad dialogues. Colin Farell worst performance: one of the most ridiculous acting in a big budget movie ever.
1 point for the historical interest, assuming they got a couple things right.
1 point for way they tried to portray the quest for glory, which, here and there, works the time of a quote.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:41:27 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12310 on: July 25, 2013, 07:40:36 AM »

I remember being more indifferent to Alexander than anything. Occasionally good ideas came to the surface (I loved the elephant battle towards the end), but there's too much nonsense to make it worthwhile.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12311 on: July 25, 2013, 07:43:18 AM »

I saw this piece of crap in the theater. Or actually, I saw the first part (I don't remember exactly how long I stayed - was it 45 minutes? An hour? A little longer?) before getting the hell out of what felt like a torture chamber.

Given your past comments I'm not surprised.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12312 on: July 25, 2013, 07:58:31 AM »

I remember being more indifferent to Alexander than anything. Occasionally good ideas came to the surface (I loved the elephant battle towards the end), but there's too much nonsense to make it worthwhile.

The elephant battle had its moments, but the ending of the scene ruins it (cheap slomo, funny looking faces of Alexander, pink-yellow colors once he's hurt).

Oliver Stone loves to experiment. This is good. Unfortunately, he has a very bad taste, which means that most of his experiments, which could lead to something really good, fail. Also, he can have good topics, but his scripts don't work.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12313 on: July 25, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »

Well, he hasn't made a decent movie since Nixon.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12314 on: July 25, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »

I liked Alexander somehow when I first watched it, and it was way better than expected. The kind of it-has-its-moments film. Had some expectations for the DC, bur surprisingly this DC bored me. Too much talk, too much meaning explored via dialogues. Don't remember if the theatrical version suffered also from it. I hope not.

I had my fun with Stoney's latest effort, the tarantinonesque Savages, and actually I liked W. But still his best years ended indeed with nixon. But, hey wait ... what's with U-Turn?

Pages: 1 ... 819 820 [821] 822 823 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM