Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 07:47:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1839936 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12315 on: July 25, 2013, 01:50:45 PM »

MIAMI EXPOSE (1956) 6/10... Thank God the narrated-police-procedural of the 50's wasn't kept around for long. Are there any really good movies from that sub-sub-genre?
"Good," perhaps. Great, no.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12316 on: July 26, 2013, 12:39:22 AM »

I had my fun with Stoney's latest effort, the tarantinonesque Savages, and actually I liked W.

Only caught a few minutes of W here and there, looked way too simplistic to me, considering the topic. I mean you may love or hate Bush, but there is no way he and his team could be half as dumb and amateur as they are in this movie.

I'll definitely give Savages a try.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12317 on: July 26, 2013, 07:21:22 AM »

Savages was painfully awful.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12318 on: July 26, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »

The Wolverine (2013) - 5/10. I liked the idea for this film--Logan goes to Japan (from an 80s comic cycle). But, of course, they couldn't really pull it off. There are a couple of fun gags, one having to do with a love hotel, the other about a fight on the top of a moving bullet train--at 300 km/hr Wolverine can only stay on by using his claws; the yakuza he's fighting has to keep digging into the roof with his knives--AND both men have to constantly leap upwards to avoid low-lying obstacles. Ha! But once the silliness starts, it just takes over--a fight that begins near Tokyo Tower continues through Akihabara before ending at Ueno Station. No police appear, and everyone crosses the finish line of this intense marathon without even having to breath hard. An even more egregious breach of reality occurs when Logan goes to Nagasaki. A character in Tokyo then decides to go get him, so she jumps in her car, heads over, picks him up, returns the Japanese capital, a round trip that seems to take about 20 minutes. Well, a one-way trip from Tokyo to Nagasaki by Nozomi Shinkansen takes seven-and-a-half hours--and remember, that train does 300 km/hr. OK, so this film does for the Marvel cycle what You Only Live Twice did for the Bond films--provides us with an ersatz Japan. That's not the worst of it. The plot is stupid and predictable. The beautiful heroine--who has a collarbone to die for--is little more than a McGuffin. And at the end, we get yet another tiresome fight with a guy in an armored suit--we went all the way to Japan just for Iron Man 3.5? I hear that the teaser after the credits was pretty exciting, but I couldn't be bothered to stay for it.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12319 on: July 27, 2013, 08:56:53 PM »

The Lone Ranger - 7/10 - I'll be the dissenting voice here. Sure it's Pirates of the Caribbean reenvisioned as a Western, but with less ludicrous plotting and supernatural crap than those movies. Still overlong thanks to a useless framing device and Helena Bonham Carter wasting space, but nowhere near as bad as the last few Pirates flicks. Armie Hammer proves perfect casting as the title character; more of him and less Johnny Depp would have made this even better. Verbinski provides some cool action scenes and the myriad Leone/Ford/Peckinpah homages were fun. This review reads as a backhanded complement, but since I was expecting to despise it that still makes it a present surprise.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12320 on: July 28, 2013, 12:32:24 AM »

The L-Shaped Room (1962) 9.5/10

The performances in this film, directed by Bryan Forbes (who just died 2-and-a-half months ago), are all spectacular. Lead actress Leslie Carron was amazing, garnering an Oscar nomination, though she lost to Patricia Neal (Hud).

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:55:47 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12321 on: July 28, 2013, 03:18:54 PM »

The references in this movie to OUATITW include but are not limited to: majestic shots of Monument Valley; evil railroaders; men in dusters waiting for a train; the shadow of a man revealing his presence on the roof of a car; startled birds taking flight as a harbinger of a homestead attack; an Indian boy who suffered a terrible loss returning as a man to exact revenge on those responsible. This last is made even more explicit by having the villain ask, “Who are you?” and receiving in reply a symbol-fraught object that jogs his memory at the point of dying.

You're forgetting the myriad GBU references, including Tonto looting the dead posse, later sporting an umbrella while riding through the desert, and the whole bridge explosion scene.

Your comments re: the white man's world being depicted as a font of all evil... I'd say it's more anti-corporate than anything, which is one of Verbinski's bugaboos. The second and third Pirates of the Caribbean feature the East India Company as the primary villains, with the Royal Navy and squid face as unwitting accomplices. Lone Ranger replays the same scenario out west, substituting the Union Pacific, US Cavalry and Butch Cavendish. For that matter, Rango plays out roughly the same scenario.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:23:17 PM by Groggy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: July 28, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »

The Brothers Karamazov (1958) 7/10

Yul Brynner is very good here. Lee J. Cobb was Oscar-nominated for Best Supporting Actor, and William Shatner made his screen debut.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12323 on: July 28, 2013, 08:06:53 PM »

The Wire: Season 2 - 7/10
A step down from the first season. Same structure, similar final outcomes, and less exciting (not that the first season is that exciting anyways). Introduction of a few great characters while a few other great ones were killed off. Higher hopes for S3 and S4 which are the msot well-acclaimed.

emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12324 on: July 29, 2013, 03:30:38 AM »

harry brown, as discussed in its original thread.

**************** ZZ TOP´s 1st Gig **************
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12325 on: July 29, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »

The Young Victoria - directed by whocares, 2008

I watch everything with Emily Blunt, part 18

This watchable film was actually quite watchable. 6,5/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12326 on: July 29, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »

Saw The Young Victoria in theaters. Pretty dull as I recall.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: July 30, 2013, 06:09:20 AM »

Saw The Young Victoria in theaters. Pretty dull as I recall.

Then you should better have watched it on a TV. Wink

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #12328 on: July 30, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »

Miracle in Milan (1951) - 7/10
Vittorio De Sica: The Frank Capra of Italy.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12329 on: July 30, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »

Vittorio De Sica: The Frank Capra of Italy.
Agreed on Mirace in Milan. But with a decent understanding of both directors: Bicycle Thieves, Umberto D, Shoeshine, and The Children Are Watching Us are all very far from Capra-esque.

Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM